Can't Be Like Them

Submitted into Contest #78 in response to: Write about someone who keeps an unusual animal as a pet.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Drama

Caitriona and Mirabel looked at me like I'm a creep each time I ask to sit at their table at school lunch hour. Heck, I couldn't figure out why yet.

We used to be friends. Real tight friends.

Maybe they don't like me anymore. The same way, friends outgrow friends. We were all in grade 9 but they already were becoming ladies - with round, sexy figures. They let their hair fall in waves to their backs and wore more glitters and leather unlike me who still wore braces and coloured socks.

I wondered silently as I smiled stiffly, moving to a seat at the other end of the room while being watched by eyes. Yeah right. Everyone considered me a weirdo. Not that I was shy or anything, I was just not like them.

I loved things they don't love. I remember a time when we were asked to pick between going on a trip to Disneyland or farming in the school. With delight, I had screamed "farming". It seemed delightful to play with nature.

That was when the odd looks started.

I shrugged to myself, opening the zipper of my back pack. A white furry animal crept out to rest on my laps. "Atleast, I've got you." I said to Squeaky, my new bestfriend. His pointed mouth whiffed the air, making his whiskers shiver.

I did the same. The aroma of spaghetti and cheese everywhere. I had only a bar of chocolate. I couldn't stand mom's lunch.

"Hey, get that rat away from there!" A fat woman whose clothes barely fit screamed from the food counter, her arms on a waist. "How many times have I told you not to bring that rat into the food cafeteria?"

I looked at Squeaky. Maybe he could understand my predicament. He was just like me. Rejected by people. "Squeaky, we've got each other." I whispered, my slender fingers running down his back.

Here's how I found him. Two weeks ago, I was out in the rain after following my friends for a birthday party. I regret going but for the fact that I met my Squeaky that day is a great sacrifice. He had been lying near dead in the rain. My heart had bled for him.

Just the exact way I felt that day. Like no one cared if I died.

My friends had tossed me out of the party after I mistakenly spilled drink on a guest. I was booed at and tagged a weirdo. I knew why...Bran was there. He was the smartest kid in school and most wanted.

Every girl crushed on him, including me. I hate to admit it but everyone liked him because he was cool and smart, I just liked the glint in his eyes and how lopsided his smile was.

You get now? Weird me.

I still didn't get why they sent me out. Was I a threat to them in a way?

I shuffled my feets now as I arose, listening to another bouts of shouts from the food lady. My face scrunched and I wanted to scream back at her but I held Squeaky tight in my arms.

His nose went up in the air, sniffing. He was about to go on a hunger spree.

"Hey buddy, I've got chocolate in my bag." My voice shook as I made my way to the door, my legs hurrying. It was a little too late. Squeaky leapt from my arms and dashed towards the pots.

I shut my ears to the screams of the students. Many pushed at me as they raced towards the exit. Pans, pots and spoons clanked loudly in the space, nearly deafening me.

"Oh boy..." I bit my lips, staring around.

All I cared about was Squeaky. Alarms bells rang in my ear as I imagined him tossed into the oven to die. My feets were heavy but I still made it to the counter where the fat lady kept jumping and screaming in her apron.

"The rat! It's in my dress."

I blinked. "Squeaky?" I called, bending to look under the wooden counter. I saw his tail below her dress and found myself snickering.

I arose with a little smile. "He'll let you go now. Squeaky!" I yelled and I saw his little head peep from below the counter.

"Wierd fellow!" She screamed at me, hurrying away to the kitchen behind.

I picked the rat up, rubbed his back and sniffed him. "Naughty rat you are."

As I got out to the corridors, many students gaped at me in horror but I felt a pleasure run through me. Squeaky had given them a run for it.

Right then, I saw two dark eyes staring at me from behind the others. My heart quickened and I instantly felt shame engulf me.

He wasn't just staring at me. His eyes scanned around the damage Squeaky caused. I don't know why that seemed to hurt me.

Maybe because Bran was disgusted at me or maybe because I felt a little ashamed of Squeaky now. I turned and trotted down the hall way.

I took deep breaths, and stared at Squeaky. He was comfortable in my arms but I was far from it. I ignored the glares from friends and teachers alike.

I knew detention was coming. More so, I was scared to lose my rat.

Closing hour that day, my mom was waiting for me in the principal's office. She was upset as they discussed me like I weren't there.

The principal had the guts to say I needed a psychiatrist. I felt tempted to let Squeaky out of my bag and let the principal eat his words.

But I was a good girl at heart.

My mom walked me out of there, giving me a warning that the school would expel me it I brought the rat again.

That was a confirmation that I was all alone. No one had my back. I noticed Bran from the corner of my eyes, watching me with obvious interest.

My stomach fluttered. And I allowed myself to think that the presence of Squeaky had made Bran notice me.

Squeaky was needed after all.

January 25, 2021 12:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.