6 comments

General

1914 - June

A cloudless sky, the blanket above twinkled. Annie cast her sea green eyes above and thought how lucky she was to be spending this perfect night with her best friend. She had caught Herbert’s eye during their collage years and they had been close friends ever since.

“Annie, darling,” coughed Herb, drawing those sea green eyes back to his own and away from those twinkling specks.

Annie gasped as she discovered the young man was on his knee, a tiny box in his hands opened and thrust towards her. The diamond set upon the ring within was big, bold and most certainly brash; Herb’s style not hers. The rock caught a flash from the moon above and the ring shimmered rainbow.

“Herbert Williams Tinker, it’s beautiful,” Annie said with a coy smile.

“Annie Olivia McCloud, make me the happiest young man alive and say you will be mine forever.”

“Yes Herb that is a definite yes.”

The rest of the evening the newly engaged spent walking along the beachfront with the stars sparkling above, mirrored in the choppy sea below.

 

1915 – January

Annie stared out the kitchen window her mother beside her giving the clouded night sky the briefest of glances. Annie though lingered a little longer and waited for the clouds to part. As she looked out she saw what she was waiting for, a single glimmer in the inky blackness. Running a finger over the diamond ring she thought of Herb and how his travel to Egypt was going to delay their wedding. He was with his brothers though and they were saying that they would all be back home safe and sound by Christmas time. She settled on the thought the stars above were different to the ones Herb saw but the sky was the same. They were far apart but this at least they could share. That same great sky and their love for each other. In her heart of hearts the young girl knew that she and Herb were destined to be together. It would happen, all she needed was faith and patience.

 

1916 – February

Valentine’s Day was coming up causing Annie’s sea green eyes to well with tears. Christmas had been tough last year, none of the Tinker boys made it home and there was no sign of the war drawing to an end. Annie helped out with jobs on the farm, often out among the stars praying or with the older men driving the hay cart or even helping her mum with the tea. Murmuring a silent prayer while she wandered beneath the stars became a habit.

“Please God, just bring them all home.”

 

1918 – December

Annie’s eyes twinkled like stars as she looked up at the universe, beaming. The Tinker’s were on their way home. Her prayers would be answered, only so many years after she had hoped. Christmas was quite the affair but the boys were dark, moody. That time away had been hard on everyone but on Herb and his brothers most of all. Christmas was different that year. A time that was darker and troublesome. Annie’s prayers to the stars became a wish for those Tinker boys to come back again from where ever it was Queen and Country had sent them. They seemed party home, but in truth not wholly there.

 

1919 – April

Herbert Williams Tinker finally made an honest woman of Annie Olivia McCloud. Each month after his return Annie’ sea green eyes watched the young man she loved return from the shadows. The war to end all wars could still be seen in the deepest depths of the man’s stormy eyes but he was still that kind heart. Herb was the kind of man that would do anything for a friend. With him and his brothers back in the community farms thrived and families grew.

 

1925 – June

Even in the middle of winter Annie loved to take a night walk with her husband and their kids. The farm was their sanctuary. In the safe haven of that place Annie watched her Herb return, back from the darkness and into the starlight.

 

1939 – September

Another call and under the bright Milky Way Herb gave her the bad news. Herb was going back to keep war from their door. Her husband had seen the worst of the world and he wanted to protect that what he loved above all else. Although she wanted to stop his return, Annie knew where his brothers went so too would go Herb. That night under the stars the couple danced and kissed farewell. Annie’s prayers began again.

By morning Herb was gone.

 

1944 – September

Annie held the letter close to her heart. She had been weeping memories since she opened the envelope and discovered Herb’s fate. She watched the stars that night and wondered why she would never get to see him again or hold him close again. Soon her four kids and their partners would come back to the old farmstead. There would be the scream of the grand children, the young’uns that she and Herb had both adored. Annie would smile again then, smile for the younger generations. Help them to understand why one war took a man’s soul while the next one stole his life. She would pretend happiness for the sake of her family. That night though Annie had her grief and she had her memories.

 

1986 – July

Annie starred out of the window of her room. She had been lucky her children had arranged for her to have a window with a view. The stars were her comfort each and every night as she remembered that magical life she shared with Herb for so many years. She felt her love was up there somewhere look down on her and smiling.

That wintery night she saw the stars twinkle. Her gnarled, arthritic fingers passed over that giant diamond and smiled at each nick and mark that marred the gold band. She had lived a long life, long enough. She was ready to see her Herb again.

“Herbert Williams Tinker I hope you’re ready,” she whispered to the night. “Tonight I get to come home to you.”

April 30, 2020 13:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Chloe-Ly Grimont
11:21 May 07, 2020

Wonderful story, and beautifully written too :)

Reply

Tim Law
09:00 May 08, 2020

Thanks so much for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Patricia Green
04:26 May 07, 2020

Well written, good story.

Reply

Tim Law
09:01 May 08, 2020

Thanks Patricia. So happy you enjoyed reading my story. We have just marked Anzac Day so war was in the forefront of my thinking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bruno Lowagie
10:51 May 01, 2020

Being born in Ypres and having heard stories about both wars from my grand-parents, I loved this story. Small typo: collage years => college years

Reply

Tim Law
23:26 May 01, 2020

Thanks Bruno. I had a grandfather in World War 2 but I never got to meet him. We just marked Anzac Day here in Australia so war and its cost is something fresh in my mind. Thanks too for the correction mate, I need to nail words like college especially when writing for an American based site.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.