“The Package”

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story told entirely through text messages or emails.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Monday 6:22 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

How’s it going on the sandy beaches of Maui? Do you have any money left? I’m working from home (my lower back again) and FedEx laid a package on my front porch, your name but my address. It’s about the size of a case of beer but not that heavy and it has about a freaking mile of tape holding it closed. The label says it’s from Mexico. What’s up?


Monday 7:04 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Sorry for the delay, I’m not used to texting outdoors and it’s hard to do in the glare from the sun. The beaches are great and so are the bars. Might need to hit you up for a couple of bucks when we get home. Just kidding. I thought the package would get there after we got home, sorry. Just put it someplace safe and don’t open it.


Monday 7:07 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

Relax, I won’t open it, just wondering why you sent it to me.


Monday 7:10 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

I don’t want Katie to know about it. Sorry, should have given you a heads up.


Monday 7:15 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

When I saw the label and a custom’s stamp from Mexico I got a little curious. Can I ask what’s inside?


Monday 7:18 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Long story. Getting ready to go out for a cocktail or two. Keep an eye on the package. Later.


Tuesday 9:11 AM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

Hey. This might not be anything but a car with Mexico plates was outside my house yesterday.  Saw the plates as it was driving by when I was rolling trash bin to the curb. It even parked across the street for a while. All I could think of was your Mexican package. Thoughts?


Tuesday 11:20 AM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Sorry to make you wait. The time zone change between Hawaii and Tucson is a real bitch. Back at the hotel in Honolulu now. Don’t know what the car was all about but to be on the safe side maybe you ought to lock the package in the trunk of your car.


Tuesday 11:22 AM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

What do you mean safe? This is getting weird. I’m not supposed to know what’s in a box from Mexico and I have to keep it locked up. I’m still working from home today, back isn’t getting any better. Not in the best mood. You gotta let me know what’s going on.


Tuesday 11:25 AM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Hey, I know this all sounds strange even for me. Will explain it all when I get home on Thursday. Heading to the breakfast buffet now. Later.


Tuesday 1:45 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

I have not heard from you about the package. We agreed you would text message me when it arrived. Tell me what is going on.


Tuesday 2:07 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

Sorry I didn’t get back to you. I totally know that’s my fault. I’m still on vacation, be home Thursday. Can we meet then?



Tuesday 2:09 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

First things first. Did it arrive?


Tuesday 2:11 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

Yes it arrived. What about Thursday like mid-afternoon?


Tuesday 2:12 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

That car is back, parked out front. Saw it drive by twice. Looks like he stopped to text someone. Should I be worried?


Tuesday 2:14 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Sorry man, I’m juggling other texts too. Wish I was there to explain. Chill out and I’ll get back to you soon.


Tuesday 2:15 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

You never said anything about a vacation. What the hell is that about?


Tuesday 2:16 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

Thought I’d be back ahead of the package.


Tuesday 2:17 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

Well the package is here, you are not and I am not happy.


Tuesday 2:18 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

Chill out? Really, chill out? What the hell did you get me into?


Tuesday 2:19 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

Like I said I’ll be back Thursday PM. That’s just the day after tomorrow. We cool?


Tuesday 2:20 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Relax, you’re not into anything. It isn’t what it seems.


Tuesday 2:21 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

Well it seems like something illegal to me. The whole thing stinks. What’s in the package in the trunk of my car?


Tuesday 2:22 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

No we are not cool. Doing what we agreed to would be cool. This is not what we agreed to. Not at all.


Tuesday 2:24 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

I apologize. I honestly thought I’d be back long before it arrived. I had no idea a FedEx package could get across the border so fast.


Tuesday 2:25 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Like I said I’ll explain when I get back. There’s nothing for you to worry about.


Tuesday 2:27 PM

From: Will Hammond:

To: Josh Kinter

Nothing to worry about. A mysterious package you want me to keep locked up in my trunk and some Mexican guy sitting in front of my house two days in a row. Yeah, that kind of shit happens to me all the time.


Tuesday 2:28 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

Well kudos to FedEx for their wonderful service. You sure like to assume things.


Tuesday 2:30 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

What do you mean I assume things?


Tuesday 2:32 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

I mean you assumed the timing would be perfect and you assumed I am a patient man.


Tuesday 2:37 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Hey, Katie is giving me the stink eye with all this texting. I’m gonna have to get back to you. How’s your back? Later.


Thursday 3:32 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

Why did you stop texting? Again you assume I am a patient man. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I am not.


Tuesday 3:35 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

Again I apologize. I had a personal thing to attend to and the time difference makes it even harder. I will try to get an earlier flight out of Honolulu which would get me back to Phoenix tomorrow afternoon and then I’ll drive back to Tucson. Will that work?


Tuesday 3:38 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

What choice do I have? But in the meantime is the package secure and who has possession? I am sitting in front of the address it was sent to. Is this your home? Is anyone here who can take care of things?


Tuesday 3:41 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

No it is not my home, it’s a friend’s. He doesn’t know what’s going on. I haven’t told him a thing. Let’s keep this between us, okay?


Tuesday 3:44 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

Then the package is here with your friend?


Tuesday 3:48 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

No. He texted me when it arrived. I have a public storage unit and I asked him to take it there which he did. He doesn’t have it. It’s safe.


Tuesday 3:51 PM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

Where is the storage unit?


Tuesday 3:53 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

It’s near the U of A campus and the security is really tight. Let me get back to you later after I change my flight home. Thanks.


Wednesday 7:08 AM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Spent the whole freaking night arguing with Katie and talking to the airline but I got a flight out of Honolulu in an hour. We get into Phoenix at 2:20 in the afternoon. Two hours or so to my house, drop off Katie then to your house by 4:45 or 5:00. I’m gonna be on Katie’s shit list until I’m 90.


Wednesday 7:20 AM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Palo Ramirez

Thanks for your patience. My flight is to Phoenix and I’ll drive down to Tucson. A quick trip to my storage unit then I’ll meet you around 5:30? You pick the place, hopefully north or central city.


Wednesday 7:56 AM

From: Palo Ramirez

To: Josh Kinter

You have used up every bit of patience I might have had. We will meet you at the bar at El Charro on Court Avenue. Leave the package in your car. No more excuses. No more delays. No more bullshit. It is time to bring things to a final resolution.


Wednesday 8:00 AM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

I didn’t hear back from you after my last text. Is 5-ish okay to stop by your place?


Wednesday 2:28 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

At Phoenix baggage claim. Still on track to meet at your place around five?


Wednesday 4:31 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

Holy shit man why haven’t you gotten back to me? Need to hear from you like now! I’m heading to your house as we speak.


Wednesday 4:58 PM

From: Josh Kinter

To: Will Hammond

What the hell? I’m at your house, where are you? I need the package like right now.


Wednesday 5:17 PM

From: Will Hammond

To: Josh Kinter

Sorry, been driving all day and the cell reception sucks when you’re crossing the high country. This thing with the package has me so rattled. Got so freaked by Mr. Mexico hanging out in front of my house when he drove off I packed a bag. Heading to Vegas for a few days. My back feels better and I just had to get the hell out of the house. Don’t worry the package is still here in my trunk. Hope when I get back you’ll tell me what the hell this was all about. Welcome home.


The End

Copyright Tim Benson, Phoenix, AZ March 24, 2020


March 24, 2020 23:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.