0 comments

Contemporary Fiction

Janis wakes up with a broad smile on her face. Her hazel eyes gaze up to the ceiling which is illuminated by dapples of sunshine coming through the curtains and she thinks back on last night's dreams. It was obvious what they meant. She is going to marry Kenny next month when it is all behind her and he comes back from Afghanistan on his next spell of leave.

There was the dream about her in the posh shop looking for an outfit for a special occasion. She had never fancied getting married in white and she had been trying on a gorgeous red floral dress made in chiffon; and when she studied herself in the mirror she had loved the look.

Then there was the one in which she had the keys to the door to a flat and excitedly went up the stairs and slipped the key in the lock, opening the door to a hallway lit by a skylight and with a poppy design wallpaper. She explored every corner of the flat, finding 'his' and 'hers' towels on the heated radiator in the bathroom. And there was the smell of curry cooking; Kenny loved to cook a Madras.

And just before she woke up she dreamed about sitting with an older lady in a business suit, with her bright red hair pulled back in the bun, who was filling in an official form on a desk. She must have been the wedding registrar preparing the paperwork ahead of the wedding. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Kenny and her had previously talked about getting wed but they had never got round to it; his army service was the excuse they made for delay. But she is sure that he is going to surprise her when he is next back and marry her; then she can get things ready in their new home ahead of him leaving the army in six month's time. The two of them would be together every day after that, all alone in their own place without her parents interfering.

Janis pulls back the duvet and jumps out of bed. She looks in the mirror and runs her hands through her short blonde hair and decides to spring into action. That business will be all behind her soon and she will be able to get on with her life. So she needed to seize the moment and prepare for the big day. There was lots to do.

***

“What do you think Kelly?” Janis does a twirl for her friend, her tiny figure encased in a lace dress with beading leading to the waistband and a short sleeve, and with matching jacket.

“I think it is best outfit you have tried on today. Definitely. I don't know about you but I am exhausted just looking at them!” Kelly covers her face with her left hand and laughs. She is a tall brunette with flowing locks.

“Yes, I think I will settle for this one. I will do Kenny proud in it.”

“Thank God you've decided. I need a coffee.”

They sit outside a cafe sipping cappuccino, enjoying the afternoon rays. The top of the London Eye is visible above office block opposite, the passenger capsules gleaming in the sunshine.

“Here is the flat which I fancy.” Janis leans forward across the table and shows Kelly the picture on her mobile. “It's small but really cosy and ideal for two.”

“Looks nice. But it's bit pricey isn't it. Where are you two going to get the money from? Rob a bank?” Kelly frowns as she wipes some foam from her red lips.

“I'll let you into a secret, I've unexpectedly come into a bit of money so we'll be able to put down a deposit on a place.” Janis gives her a knowing look.

“Lucky you.”

“I've kept it a secret as others will be jealous of us. It's a kind of inheritance.”

“Well your secret's safe with me Miss Moneybags.”

The bus journey back to Camden is slow due to heavy traffic. Kelly turns to Janis.

“You don't think you are rushing things a bit do you? I mean shouldn't you wait until you are sure that the wedding can go ahead?”

“No that will all be behind me when we get married. Mr Davies will look after me, I'm sure. You have to be positive in life and keeping going forward and not worry about what might happen.”

“I hope you are right. Oh, look there's Tanya getting on.”

. ***

Hazel sips the coffee as she waits for her lawyer in the court lobby studying the ornate Victorian ceiling above her head. Just as she is drinking the dregs in the plastic cup, he arrives. He is a pear shaped middle aged man with bulging eyes.

“Hi Mr Davies. I was getting a bit nervous with you being late.”

“I am sorry Janis.” He stops to recover his breath. “My train was cancelled.”

“So how optimistic are you about getting a not guilty verdict?”

He looks sideways at her and pauses before replying.

“Don't you remember that I advised you to plead guilty and let me try and persuade the judge that he should go easy with your punishment because of your mental health history?”

“I thought you would think of something to get me off the charge, so I did.”

Well, I remain very pessimistic about the outcome, especially now that new evidence has come to light.”

Janis looks blankly at him. “Oh, but you will do your best though?”.

“Yes, but I really can't promise anything. Sorry but I have to leave you now.”

Janis watches Davies waddle off, feeling let down by her saviour. Ten minutes later a voice calls out her name over the loudspeaker directing her to court number seven.

Janis sits impassively in the dock during the morning listening to the evidence against her, wearing a dark suit and a grey top to make her look a sober and serious person. Two managers from her firm tell the court about the money which she had stolen from the firm by paying false invoices and directing funds to an account which she had set up. They both look accusingly at her as they speak; the colleague they had once trusted who had let them down. The police officer explains how the fraud had been uncovered and about Janis' non cooperation with their investigation. Mr Davies cross examines each of these witnesses but they all stick firmly to their evidence. To support her defence, he calls a doctor who tells the court about the treatment which she has given Janis to help her overcome a personality disorder which causes her to be in denial of some of her actions.

The prosecution rests its case at lunchtime and after the break Mr Davies addresses the jury. He does try to refute the evidence presented against her but makes a plea to the jury.

“You have heard from Dr Rushdi about my client's mental health. I put it to you that she was not in a normal state of mind when she created the false invoices. She was acting out of character, having been a valued employee of the firm for five years, and cannot be said to have had any conscious intention to defraud it of money.”

Janis studies the jury. She finds it difficult to read their faces as they listen to Davies' plea but notices some members glancing at her as they make their minds up about her. She squirms in her seat as she thinks about them asking themselves whether she is right in the head or not. Maybe she should have dressed like someone who looks a bit mad, she thinks.

***

The van comes to a halt. The door at the rear is unlocked and Janis is led out into the daylight. She blinks as she looks up at the high walls surrounding the yard.

“This way”, says a male prison officer pointing to black door a short distance away. Once inside, she is given a body search by a tall female officer with short black hair and asked to hand over her valuables. The officer then goes to a cupboard and returns with a transparent bag with clothes inside.

“Janis, this is your new outfit and you will be wearing during your time here. If you go into the changing room to your left you can change into it and then return your own clothes to me for storage until your release.”

Janis takes the bag and wrinkles her nose in disgust at the contents. “You must be joking. I'm not wearing this outfit. You wouldn't find me dead in grey track suit bottoms.”

“Just go and get changed please. The matters not for discussion.” The officer straightens up and looks down at Janis. She picks up the bag and retreats to the room.

Janis is led by another officer down several long corridors and through a series of doors which are unlocked and locked as they pass through each one. Janis notices a strong smell of disinfectant and feels sick inside. She studies the other prisoners who they pass; none of them look like anyone she's ever known. They reach a block with an open plan area with three landings above each with rows of cells. They stop at a ground floor cell.

“Here we are Janis”, the officer says as he opens the door. “This is your new home for the next two years .” She stands aside and invites Janis to enter.

Janis looks around the cramped cell. “Bit on the small side for me. But I guess I will manage. Why are there two bunks?”

“The cells not just for you. You will be sharing it with another prisoner.”

“Your'e joking. Who with?”

“Only me love”, a voice says from behind. Janis turns round to see an overweight older woman with red hair pulled into an untidy bun. “It will be cosy in here with just the two of us. Hope you are not going to be any trouble.”

“This just a bad dream”, sighs Janis as she sits down on the bottom bunk.

“Top bunk for you love. I've got the bottom one. Hurry up, get a move on."

October 01, 2021 15:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.