TOTAL ECLIPSE of MY HEART

Submitted into Contest #245 in response to: Set your story during a total eclipse — either natural, or man-made.... view prompt

26 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

**possible sensitive content: sudden, unexpected death of an adult child**


Dear Nancy,


As I sit here lost in thought on the eve of the total eclipse of the sun, I’m trying to think about something funny or witty about tomorrow’s big event, but nothing is coming to me. There’s just nothing funny on my mind right now.


So I turn to poetry instead. I write a catchy line about the sunset cremating the sky over the ocean at Pescadero. I saw that “cremation” decades ago when death was the furthest thing from my much younger mind. And then your email arrives. 


You tell me you’re on the way to the funeral parlour to discuss Cindy’s cremation. This mother’s heart skips a beat. I can’t breathe. When my heart returns to its job of keeping my 78-year-old body alive, I can’t help but ask why. Why you, not me? Am I somehow luckier? I have two daughters. You had only Cindy, your “angel” as you called her over and over in your grief-laden facebook posts. And my heart skips another beat.


How does a mother cremate her angel? When I had my father cremated, well, he deserved no more. End of story. When we cremated mom, it was our only way to keep her with us a bit longer. She is still resting comfortably on a shelf inside our dining room hutch. When my sister-in-law cremated her beloved husband whose heart gave out when he took one last ride on his surf-board, we took comfort knowing he spent his last morning doing what he loved. And when my dear neighbour cremated her only son a year ago, there was some comfort…not much…in knowing his life-long battle with a brain tumor that fully blinded him those last couple of years was finally over. Tomorrow’s eclipse is something he never would have seen anyway. 


But Cindy would have. Would she and her three children have gotten together with you for an eclipse party, complete with special glasses, some pop for the children and wine for the two of you to share this once-in-a-lifetime event? Instead, she left you with a once-in-a-lifetime experience you never saw coming. And what about the neighbour who looked in on Cindy when you couldn’t reach her? I can’t help but think about her too. How did she feel when she had to call you back? How do you tell a mother her angel was unresponsive? Gone. Now that’s what I call a total eclipse. No brilliant corona or waves of colour promising the sun will re-appear in two to three minutes. A total, unending eclipse.


In a way, I envy you. You are spiritual, an “intuitive”. You have spent years travelling to and from Tibet. You’ve even met the Dalai Lama. You embrace the tenets of Buddhism, and from what I’ve read about Buddhism, you have no doubt trained yourself to see death, at least your own, as something of which to be mindful, but on which not to be fixated. Good advice. 


But I really need to know the answer to this: is Buddha’s wisdom helping you now as you try to process Cindy’s unexpected passing? My younger daughter, who sees you as her second mother, reminds me you are strong. So am I. But could I handle her or her sister’s unexpected death? I’ve always believed there is no greater pain than a child pre-deceasing a parent. Is there? I guess you know the answer to that question now. Or is it still too soon to tell? Too soon for me to ask? I suspect your answer is what I’m afraid of. Despite that wise advice from Buddha, I relate to what has happened to you way too much and it’s knocking me sideways. A total eclipse of my heart. 


Unfortunately, I’m not a follower of any religion, organized or otherwise. The God in whom the nuns with their rulers and rosary beads told me to believe wasn’t there when I really needed him (her?) as a teenager, so I abandoned that God and never found a suitable replacement. Is there one? No wonder so many still believe in a God or Allah or whatever name people have for Hope. The way I see it, when everything is gone, only hope gives us the strength or will to carry on. That is all I have to cling to nowadays. I’m happy that you, at least, have more. 


I see Buddhism also teaches that “while death is certain, the time of death is uncertain”. Touche. Didn’t Shakespeare say something like ‘therein lies the rub’. Ah yes indeed! As my husband said this morning while I cried thinking about your loss: “Birth is never assured but death is guaranteed.”


Say, do you remember that Dusty Springfield song that hit #1 in our teens, “The End of the World”? As I walked around my backyard very early this morning, the sun was warm on my face, birds were tweeting non-stop, and the cloudless skies were ever so blue. It was such a glorious morning until I could hear Dusty asking “Why does the sun go on shining? Why do these eyes of mine cry?” She wanted to know how life could go on as usual while she was dying inside. Is that what it feels like now, Nancy? Never mind. Don’t answer. I don’t think I want to know. 


Nancy, It’s taken all day for me to write this to you. I’ve been watching the skies, taking breaks and wondering if we’ll be able to watch the eclipse tomorrow after all. The forecast is calling for clouds and possibly even rain. In fact, looking toward the horizon now, I can see clouds already gathering. I guess there’s a lot of people, those who have booked hotels in our city and especially in Niagara Falls who are going to be very disappointed if they don’t get to see this once-in-a-lifetime event. Won’t worry me. As I said above, what has happened to Cindy and you has totally eclipsed my heart. I don’t need to see more darkness.


On a parting note, I hope it’s not too soon to send you this, but here’s a little something I wrote for you when I got the news:


I could send you bouquets of flowers

But, what good would they do?

This day of April showers

Will not bring her back to you


I cannot begin to imagine

The depth of your heartache and sorrow

The thought that you can’t just pick up a phone

And speak to her tomorrow


If i could press a button

To make yesterday rewind

I would do it in a heartbeat

If it would bring you peace of mind


But I feel beyond inadequate

As I search for a comforting word

Because I know there really isn’t one

That you haven’t already heard


So instead of flowers, take this poem

Of thoughts that fail to say

How much I share your tears

That words can’t wipe away.


Your friend,


Viga



April 07, 2024 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Paul Simpkin
07:43 Apr 16, 2024

Hi, this is beautiful, particularly the poem. Thank you for writing something so sensitive and insightful.

Reply

Viga Boland
12:10 Apr 16, 2024

And thank you for reading it. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Jerdé
14:44 Apr 15, 2024

Viga, “Total Eclipse of my Heart, brings back memories of Bonnie Tyler's hit. Painful and well scripted story of the worst pain anyone can imagine! The poem at the end is perfect and so true, there is nothing anyone can do or say to make the pain go away.

Reply

Viga Boland
17:36 Apr 15, 2024

Thank you for reading this Judith and yes, your comments support how I feel about my friend’s loss. I shared the poem with her and she graciously said it was “absolutely beautiful”. But from what I see her posting on FB now, the reality is setting it. It’s now that her friends worry about her and trust she is as strong as we believe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
18:01 Apr 11, 2024

The pain of losing a child - can a parent ever recover from it? I’m not sure. It has got to be one of the worst heartbreaks in the world. There is no sense to it. It sounds like Nancy is a strong person who will take comfort from her beliefs. In Buddhism, acceptance of what actually is and living in the moment is the way to live. But as humans, we shrink from the pain of loss and long for it not to be which causes the suffering to be even more terrible. This is very sad. I’m sure your friend will value your poem and your friendship. A beauti...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Isabel Jewell
23:50 Apr 10, 2024

Viga, this was so powerfully done, it feels so intimate and the pain is entirely palpable as a reader. I sincerely hope you and your friend can find peace in this most difficult time 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
05:59 Apr 10, 2024

Emotional breakdown. How many times I ask the same question and not getting any answers. Yes, "Hope." I like that. Beautiful poem. Nicely done.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:37 Apr 10, 2024

Thanks ever so much for reading and commenting. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:37 Apr 09, 2024

This is a beautiful, heart wrenching outpouring of grief straight from your heart. The loss of a child hits close to our hearts. What rhyme or reason is there for a parent to outlive their child? I send you and your friend my deepest condolences, and hope and pray that you find comfort either in each other, or in the people who gather about you at this time. ❤️

Reply

Viga Boland
13:51 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks Michelle. I’m happy for my friend’s spirituality as she has now shared that she arranged for her daughter to be cremated at the exact time the eclipse was taking place in our area. For my friend, this moment was symbolic as she felt her “angel” being lifted into heaven. I suppose that is one way to accept her death. Not sure it would console the non-believer in me. 😔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
01:12 Apr 09, 2024

I'm so sorry for you and your friend's loss. Wonderfully written, and my heart goes out to you. Praying for you and your friend 🙏

Reply

Viga Boland
02:59 Apr 09, 2024

Thanks so much Irene. This most definitely wasn’t the story I was planning to do re the eclipse, but this one mattered more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renate Buchner
16:49 Apr 08, 2024

In this story, I could feel your sorrow. Very beautifully written. I am grateful.

Reply

Viga Boland
17:03 Apr 08, 2024

Thanks Renate

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:32 Apr 08, 2024

An eclipse only lasts ten minutes. Death hangs around a lot longer. And is no easier to look at.

Reply

Viga Boland
16:34 Apr 08, 2024

You can say that again. 😞

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:48 Apr 08, 2024

Sorry for your loss. Very powerfully written.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:42 Apr 08, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting Melissa. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:46 Apr 08, 2024

I am way behind in my reading but as I was scrolling my activity list of people I follow I just had to go to yours out of order so I didn't miss it. The very thought of title like the old song came to me when I saw the prompt but then we are of the same time frame. You even used Dusty's song thought in your letter and I used it recently, too. But all this is mundane when you put it next to the source of your grief. My heart goes out to you and your friend. A powerfully written tribute and befitting poem. I pray you can find peace.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:41 Apr 08, 2024

Thanks for your sensitive comments Mary. Much appreciated. I suppose one could say that sometimes I can write more than just amusing Banters LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
15:41 Apr 08, 2024

Thanks for your sensitive comments Mary. Much appreciated. I suppose one could say that sometimes I can write more than just amusing Banters LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
15:41 Apr 08, 2024

Thanks for your sensitive comments Mary. Much appreciated. I suppose one could say that sometimes I can write more than just amusing Banters LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Rochelle Rosales
01:08 Apr 08, 2024

I love how your work of creative non-fiction ties in the themes of an eclipse. I think grief is always a challenging feeling and state of mind to describe in words, but your piece through the form of a letter to a friend definitely encapsulates what it’s like trying to express this sadness, and the unanswered questions and pondering that accompanies it. The poem at the end truly leaves a sense of comfort.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:33 Apr 08, 2024

Thanks so much for reading this piece and commenting Rochelle. This one came straight from the heart i.e. no attempt to turn it into anything more than it is: an outpouring of shock and grief. A reaction… Now, if only I can get you and some others in our local writers’ group to contribute to Reedsy! Hint, hint.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
22:47 Apr 07, 2024

Beautiful story! I loved the poem at the end.

Reply

Viga Boland
23:16 Apr 07, 2024

Wow…just posted an hour ago and already a reader and comment. Thanks Kim. This has all just happened in last few days. Really needed to write it, although the poem was written the day after I heard the news. We’re still all reeling. 😔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.