The Marriage Game

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

*author note: yes this does look like my other story they are linked series wise. this series i am doing just for fun and i print them for my friend to read-thanks*

Luna:


“Princess princess get up it's time to get up you have work to do”

“Go away”

“Luna get your goddamn ass up” my maid said as she pulled me out of my bed

(you see my maid also happens to be my best friend Lilly)

“ ugggg why do i have to get up i'm a princess i should be able to sleep”

“not Today is when your potential husband comes”

“What that's today!?” i said get up and hurrying to my dresser ugh i have to be lady like what should i wear.

“Princess here wear this.” 

“oh my god this is so pretty lily!”

The dress was a baby blue fading into a lilac. It had cross straps in the back and was knee length. So I put it on. i couldn't believe it i actual looked pretty.

“Wow so pretty!”

“I know it is.”

“No Luna i'm not talking about the dress i'm talking about you”

“W-what do you mean Lily”

“Well it's just your so much prettier than i am”

“No not true you're beautiful too” i said as i hugged her

“okay princess it's time to go are you ready?”

“I'm ready,” I said. I drew a long deep breath

We walked out the door and down the hall. And bam that's when i ran into him. he was taller than me by a lot. He had long black hair that was pulled back in a ponytail. He had beautiful purple eyes. He looked like an angel! i would of been dreaming if i didn't feel the pain from my fall.

“Ow that hurt” i said sitting on the ground. Lily beside me.

“Princess Are you alright? Are you hurt?” said Lilly as she helped me up

All of a sudden “there he is get him” these men are all running at me i didn't know what to do so i yelled????

“STOP” i screamed

They all stopped dead in their tracks

“Explain why you are chasing this young man” i said as politely as i could

“Why should we tell you little girl”

Did he really just give me (the princess) a god damn attitude

“first of all sir this 'little girl' is the goddamn princess, do not give me an attitude or I will smack you and yes i can threaten you and get away with it” I said in an angry voice as I got up.

They slowly backed away put there heads down and said

“S-s-sorry miss we didn't mean to”

“Its fine, now if you would please tell me why are you you chasing this poor young man”

“umm"

“Well tell me i don't have all day. I am a princess so I do have stuff I need to be doing”

That's when the young man on the ground blurted out “they were trying to limit down the selection”

“Ugh i knew this would happen, lily please do me a favor and bring the two men that were chasing the boy to father”

“Yes mam’ boys if you'll come with me please” they both followed her willingly. I turned looked at the boy sitting on the floor and reached out my hand, smiled and said “here let me help you up” he slowly took my hand and got up

“Now tell me what is your name?”

“M-m-my name is freed.”

“Well freed my name is Luna. Well you don't have to worry about those boys bugging you anymore”

“Thanks you saved my life i owe you one”

*laughs*

“W-why are you laughing”

“Because i never had any one say that, well we should get down to the dining room that's where we are supposed to meet”

“K let's go then”

We walked down the hall, turned left to the stairs and went down them. all along the wall was family portraits. Then we turned right

“Okay were here”

“Ahh here she is, princess Luna my beloved daughter” said my father walking over and placing a hand on my shoulder

“Hello boys, father can i talk to you in private for a minute”

“Yes” 

i pulled him to the side

“ did lily take the two boys to you”

“Yes i kicked them out”

“I'm afraid that there might be some more attacks”

“My love don’t worry ill be there” He said hugging me

he always had this habit of comforting when thing are going bad.

“Okay let's get the greeting done and over with”

So father walked over first then i did i did a long deep curtsy and said “hello my name is Luna, the girl you are going to try to win a hand in marriage”

One of to boy walked up took my hand and kissed after he did he said “my lady, i don't really see theses men winning may i have your hand now”

“Sir i don't even know you, you don't look like my type” i said pulling my hand away “what is your name sir?” 

that's when my father said “Luna darling i have to leave for a meeting could you take care of this for me”

“Yes i can go right ahead”

After he left i turned to the man and said “so your name”

“My name is Lucas”

“Well Lucas i don't give myself up that easily” i leaned down put my face to his ear and said “nice try” backed up and turned to the other men “okay how many are you so we could figure out where you are staying”

That's when one said “6 there are six of us there was 8 but two were already kicked out”


Freed:

“Freed wake up wake up, i finally got a letter from the castle” said my little sister 

I sat up rubbed my eyes and looked at her “let me see’

I opened it and it said

  Dear Sun family,

 We would like your son FREED to come to the castle to

Participate in the husband selection for our youngest princess. The train leaves at eight in the morning on 10/18/19

Sincerely to Moon family,

“H-how did i get in the selection”

“You did it, when does it leave” as you can see its just my mom my sister and me.

“In 2 hours”

“Lets get packed”

On the train ride 

The train ride took about five hours, the castle was huge and so beautiful.it reminded me of eves garden so radiant. There were seven other men. Two of them were staring at me as if they could chew my up and spit me out. When we got to the gates they grabbed my shoulder and pushed me up against the wall. They held a knife to my throat. 

They started speaking “this little boy should be first”

“Yes lets limit the selection” said the other

I kicked one in the groin and punched the other in the jaw. Once I was free I took off into a dead run. Once I was in the castle I started to look for a guard. I had no time to stop the two were right on my tail. I rounded the and bamm i was knocked to the floor there was this girl. she was so beautiful. her hair was this beautiful blue color.

“Ow that hurt” she said another girl beside her

“Princess Are you alright” said the other girl 

All of a sudden “there he is get him”

“STOP” she screamed

They all stopped dead in their tracks

“Explain why you are chasing this young man” she screamed looking me dead in the eye.

“Why should we tell you little girl”

“Bitch I am the goddamn princess, do not give me an attitude or I will smack you,” she said in an angry voice as she got up.

They slowly backed away put there heads down and said

“S-s-sorry miss we didn't mean to”

“Its fine, no if you would please tell me why are you you chasing this poor young man”

“umm “

“Well tell me i don't have all day”

That's when i blurted out “they were trying to limit down the selection”

“Ugh i knew this would happen,lily bring the two men that were chasing the boy to father”

“Yes mam boys if you'll come with me please” they both followed her willingly. She turned looked at me sitting on the floor and reached out her hand, smiled and said “here let me help you up” i slowly took her hand hand and got up

“Now tell me what is your name?”

“M-m-my name is freed.”

“Well freed my name is Luna. Well you don't have to worry about those boys bugging you anymore”

“Thanks you saved my life i owe you one”

*laughs*

“W-why are you laughing” i was so confused.

“Because i never had any one say that, well we should get down to the dining room that's where we are supposed to meet”

“K let's go then”

The walk was long and silent. I couldn't help to notice that she was beyond beautiful. When we got there I joined the group.

LUNA


I started to show the boys around

“So here is the the dining hall”

We walked through all of the halls. I showed the boys the library, the kitchen, and their rooms.

“So boys that is our tour,your stuff has been brought up to your rooms, the rest of the selection starts tomorrow” the boys all left but one, he just looked into my eyes bowed and said “i'm sorry i got you into trouble”

I walked over put my hand on his shoulder “it was my duty to make sure all of our guests are safe”

He put his head up looked at my eyes and smiled

“I'm going to go set up my room”

After he walked away i went to my fathers studies


Back in freed's room  

I walked to my room and my stuff was all the bed. 

“K let's get started i clapped my hand together. I took all of my books out of the boxes, hung all of my clothes neatly. Finally I took out the picture of my mother and my sister. “Ah it's all organized” i layed on my bed. That's when i heard a knock on my door. Opened it and there was two ladies who curtsied “we're here to help set up room but it looks like you beat us to it” said one peering around the corner

“It okay here's some paper so you can write home to your parents” said the other

Then they curtsied and left. As they left one said “we will be you servants from now on”

“Okay what was that about”

I fell asleep 

To be honest i think i was asleep for a hour or more

I woke up

“Wow this bed is so comfortable”

Then there was a knock on the door

“Coming wait a minute”

I opened the door to see the princess standing there

“Sorry were you sleeping I came to see if you were okay from earlier.. Can i come in”

“Ugh s-s-sure”i opened the door she came in and started 

Looking around

She went over to the pictures and smiled “are these the pictures of you family”

“Yeah thats my mother and sister”

“I wish i had pictures like this”

LUNA

I went to his room to see how he was doing.

He opened the door and let me in. everything is so neat

I looked around . I saw a picture of his family.

“are these the pictures of you family”

“Yeah thats my mother and sister” he said with a smile

“I wish i had pictures like this”

“What do you mean your majesty”

“Ugh nothing you would want to know, well now to get down the business”

“What business”

“I check with all of our guests to see if they need anything you the last one i have to check with”

“U mm yeah actually where is your kitchen”

“Why do you want to know”

“I have a habit of checking the kitchen where ever i stay it's a thing i do”

“Well then follow me”

I got up with him we walked down to corridor to where the kitchen was

“Well here it is”

“Wow this place is huge it bigger than my house”

“Is it to you satisfaction”

“Yes very”

“I'll leave you here”i said walking away

“Well now that i have all of my quest taken care of, i should go do my room”

I walked up the stairs and walked into my room it was a mess

“Ugh i haven't had time to clean my room”

Then i heard a knock

“U mm princess it's me freed can i come in”

He walked in and stared at the mess

To be honest i thought he was going to turn and walk away

But instead he say “ do you need help”

“Yeah”

We spent an entire hour picking up the room

“Well know your room is clean”

“Thanks why did you come up here”

All of a sudden i heard this loud band it sounded like a gun shot

“What was that” i said running to where the noise was

There was a man in a dark cape holding a gun.

 five of the guards were on the ground

“Who are you”

“Well well well if it isn't the cunt herself princess moon”

“Okay you know who i am show me who the hell you are know or are you a pussy ass bitch”

He took his hood off  

“Well well if it isn't the want to be general Jake”

“Wow so you do remember who the hell i am”

Jake was a general that my father fired because he had this bad habit of stalking me all day. Its just creepy thinking about it.

“Oh lets see you the one who ruined the banquet a year ago and every time my father tries to marry me off you break in and try to kill everyone.”

“Well maybe just maybe i want you for myself.”

That's when freed got in front of me “get away from her she doesn't want you, she is better off with me not you.” 

“Oh really then do you want to test that”

I whispered in his ear “what are you doing freed he could kill you”

“I don't care you are the princess and he does not deserve someone as beautiful,smart, and tough as you are”

“Well then let's go little boy.

“That is enough you will leave my daughter alone”

“Where the fuck did you come from pa” he literally cam e out of nowhere

I was so stupid to turn my head and look at my father 

All i heard was a gun shot that gunshot i still hear it in my head.

Freed was laying there on the floor unconscious

“Freed stay with me please don't leave me i love you”

That's when he moved so fast freed knocked the gun out of Jake's hand and pinned him on the ground.

“I may be small but i sure as hell can move faster than you can. your majesty are you okay” i just stared at him and started crying i run at him and jumped on him 

“You goddamned idiot don't ever do that again you hear me”

“Is that a command or a statement”

“Both”

Then came the longest most beautiful kiss I have ever had.

Shortly after that incident i ended the selection, sent Jake to the gallows. a couple day later freed and I married we still live in the castle to today and if you ask me this is the best fairy tale to this day. what do you think?


*if you think this was a good fairy tale with one hell of a twist. please like and comment your opinions*



February 03, 2020 15:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.