0 comments

Black Fiction Friendship

Aaron uttered you look beautiful as he pulled out her chair to what he hoped would become their special table. He had everything planned down to the tiniest detail of their magical evening even what Denise's responses would be. This first dates interactions and conversations was being thoroughly rehearsed into the mirror during his morning bathroom ritual as he prepped for work. Aaron was going to ask Denise out on an actual date this time not just in his head or into the mirror as he had done for the previous three months. He told this to himself that practice makes perfect. But how could he be sure what Denise would express to him because he's never had more than a casual conversation with her. Would she laugh in his face or behind his back? There was also the possibility that when he tried to express his interest he would suddenly become catatonic.

He'd given himself one more week and he was going to ask her out. There was no turning back now because he'd boldly made a reservation for two at the new restaurant that everyone in town were dying to dine at. According to his bathroom and mirror conversation practice Denise was going to practically scream yes to his invitation. During dinner there would be no empty dialog between them. Three months of practice had all but solidified loquacious and superfluous back and forth friendly oratory prowess with a small dash of romantic barb.

The day had finally come to ask Denise out face to face. The timing was perfect as they were the only two on the elevator headed to the 18th floor of their office building. Aaron cleared his throat and repeated in his head remember all of your practice you did for this very moment. Ninth, tenth twelfth floor come on Aaron he recited to himself you can do it.

Meanwhile Denise is listening to music on her earphones unaware of Aaron or his intentions. He made eye contact and she gave him a wry smile never missing a head nod to her music. Ding, it was the sound signaling that they'd arrived at the 18th floor. Eye contact was lost. Aaron stepped aside to let Denise out of the elevator, he was a gentleman after all. He'd proven that all the times he pulled out her chair and complimented Denise on how beautiful she looked on their many first dates that had taken place in his bathroom mirror.

Aaron had become catatonic. Sadly, so did Denise. He hadn't prepared for his deafening silence. However, Denise unbeknownst to her had prepared to drown out his voice by way of her earphones. She did not miss a beat.

Aaron proclaimed to himself that he would keep practicing in the mirror until he got it right. But he had given up on Denise because he told himself and convinced himself that she wasn't the talkative type even though he saw her engage in plenty of chatter with other coworkers on the 18th floor.

He continued to practice until he could find someone who he believed would banter with him. Along comes Marie she was the new member of the marketing team on the 23rd floor. He thought to himself practice makes perfect I'll get to know her via my mirror conversations and if all else fails she's on the 23rd floor and if we ever happen to be on the elevator together I have five more floors to get a word in. Fortunately, he hadn't noticed any Airpods, earphones or headphones when it came to Marie.

Aaron knew that he would have to have real interaction with Marie if he had any chance of taking her out on a date to the not so new restaurant that everyone was no longer clamoring about any longer. But how would he broach a conversation with Marie because he was on the 18th floor and she was on the 23rd floor with little to no reason to go up to Marketing. He argued his position to his faithful mirror. He told himself Aaron you're a handsome guy, fun and smart who was also a great conversationalist just strike up a conversation. So he did with his mirror because of course practice makes perfect.

Maybe things would be different this time around. Aaron's boss had gotten a promotion which meant she would have to get acquainted with all heads of departments which would require her to go to the Marketing department on the 23rd floor.

Aaron discussed with his boss and went over the itinerary for the department head meetings. Marie was the point of contact for her boss which gave Aaron the opportunity to get to know her better. Of course Aaron meticulously practiced his conversation and wit to his trusty mirror. Meeting time was upon him and everything went splendid until his conversation with Marie went off script. Apparently Marie was also catatonic when it came to Aaron. Perhaps this building is plagued with cat got your tongue syndrome because Aaron couldn't seem to ask her out either. What a shame all that practice and no one to use it on at least at work. Aaron knew he had to branch out and find other opportunities to find a dinner date. Sadly, his work building only went up to the 25th floor and those remaining two floors were unoccupied.

So, Aaron would continue to verbalize into the mirror what he would say once he met someone who could match his conversation with wit and humor. He knew that if he kept practicing that all of his hard work would eventually pay off. He refused to settle for small talk with someone. He knew there was someone out there for him that would be able to parlay and participate in a good and meaningful conversation. He'd just have to keep practicing using his vast vocabulary and verbiage into the mirror because practice makes what? Perfection it made perhaps at least that's what he said.

January 15, 2021 07:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.