0 comments

Holiday

With droopy eyelids, Sara rubbed the sleepiness off her eyes and yawned while breathing in morning air into her lungs- stretching her arms upwards, feeling a surge of energy beginning to dance within her. She hopped off the bed with a spring of steps, opening the curtains and windows to let the sunshine envelop her room with the embrace of sunlight itself...allowing the smell of fresh flowers, sounds of morning crickets to enter the warmth of her room, where she belongs and other beautiful things stayed.

She brushed her teeth while bouncing lightly on her feet, listening to the radio attentively. When she heard her favorite DJ coming on live, she screeched with excitement and happiness like youth has once entered into her life again.

"Good morning, listeners! It's Jude, hope you're having a beautiful day, with delicious breakfast accompanied by your side and feeling loved again like any other day...Today, we'll be talking about "A Brand New Year!" The New Year's around the corner, have you been thinking about your resolutions for the upcoming year? Don't worry, if you haven't thought about it, you still have time to do so...the best things always come at the right time! If you have, we would love to hear from you now! As always, give us a call or text us at our radio number! Six triple three, nine triple eight! We'll come back after hearing one of our soft and dazzling songs - "Sunshine City Lights by Greyson Chance" and Changes by Lauv", hoping that it will bring you a warmth feeling of home that you'll always go back to, looking forward to unexpected surprises in your life..."

While listening to the broadcast radio, Sara has already started to move items around the house with agile movements. Speckles of dust were forming like snowflakes around the books, furniture and other items that were exposed to the empty space - ready to be erased with a gentle touch from her fingers. She geared on her gloves and a protection mask, so that she wouldn't be sneezing so badly from her sensitivity to dust later on! She swooped the mop, and sprang into action while singing along to these relaxing songs to start off the day with some positivity in mind, humming to a rhythm while enjoying the lively radio broadcast...

"Good morning, how may I address you as?" Jude spoke with a smile in her tone of voice, politely welcoming the guest on live through dialing.

"I'm Jason! Honored to be on live today, thank you for having me here." A man with a hoarse voice, spoke with gentleness, nervousness and enthusiasm at the same time...seems like he's a fan of her too!

"Of course, happy to have you here! Well, Jason...We would love to know about you briefly, maybe you could give an introduction to our listeners?"

"Oh, yes sure! I'm currently working as a suit consultant at a retail store...enjoying my job incredibly with great colleagues around, it always feels like a second home to me. Just got married to the most beautiful and honest woman I have ever known in my entire life...forever grateful with her existence and given a chance to meet her!"

"Two people who are always meant to be with each other, will always find their way back to one another. No matter the distance, no matter the time! Don't you think so? What a beautiful story we are hearing here, thank you for sharing and congratulations to you, Jason! Do you want to say anything to the listeners out there, who are still waiting for their fated ones to appear?"

"Loving someone is hard. But take your time in figuring out what you really want in a person...before accepting them. That would cause least hurt to both parties. With patience and assurance of feelings, it'll definitely work. They might be the people close to you, or they might be someone you'll only find in a long time or in a few years, but if you keep believing...they will appear right in front of you someday, embracing you in their arms...whispering, 'I have waited for you, a long time indeed. But you...you're worth it.'" Jason spoke with such calmness and determination that it brought some people to tears, to those who are listening around the world...with their broken hearts, they will be mended someday - clutching onto love tightly.

"That was so beautifully pieced, Jason! Thank you so much for sharing, I'm sure our listeners appreciate it! We hope you'll find the right person out there, because everyone deserves to be loved! Now, let's move on, to your New Year's Resolutions..."

Sara abruptly dropped the mop that she was clutching so tightly on her bare hands, marks from the imprint of her fingernails were formed on the palm of her right hand. Gritting her teeth in annoyance, her eyes laid on the framed photograph on the wall and shifting her vision towards the photo album...the enjoyable conversation from the radio became incessant sounds that were reverberating in her ears, rewinding inside her mind over and over again.

Looking at herself in the wedding gown, in many of those captured memories...it made her reminiscence the man who used to stand beside her, with loyalty and faithfulness that he vowed for eternity. "How dare you, how dare you! How dare you..." She clenched her fists tightly into a ball and banged hard on the wall, wishing that the world could give her an answer to the person whom she once believed was her beloved. The blackened voices that twirled inside her head, reminded her of his betrayal...Sara wondered where did she belonged in his heart, has it already been washed away by another girl's affectionate and tender kisses, or his feelings has already been dead before they made their vows?

The sun was gone now, and the loud booming of thunder could be heard from a distance, welcoming the rain's arrival. Her tears were flowing like the quietness of the river, the stillness of early summer days. She wiped her tears fiercely against her cheeks, tossed the photo frames of her failed marriage into the cardboard box for disposing...hurriedly took a notebook to scribble down her messy yet determined thoughts to be a better person, no matter how much failures she had went through. It made her what she was today, and she will continue on with a fearless smile to face the future.

New Year's Resolutions for 2020:

1) Have a grateful heart for people who have shown kindness.

2) Exercising for a healthy mind!

3) Enjoy life to the fullest.

4) Remember to always, love yourself.

5) Show the world what you're made of!

"Watch me, I will live a fulfilling life with colorful streaks of success and you will regret and understand the weight of what's lost." Sara spoke with a confident smile pursing on her lips.

After coming into terms with her recent divorce, Sara felt an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion on her whole body after a long day of doing arrangements and cleaning up around the house. She dragged herself to the bathroom for a quick bath and refreshed herself properly, resting her body comfortably on the bed...looking at the stars above and the moon accompanying her restlessness, thoughts and resolutions today.

She leaves behind the closure of her past story like the sunset today, and awaits for the sunrise tomorrow where new beginnings arrive.

January 24, 2020 17:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.