Diary of a Teenage Girl

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Start your story with a character saying “Listen, …”... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Funny Happy

Nov. 10. 2021

“Listen, do you hear that?” Katie June said.

“Um, no. What do you hear?” I responded.

We were talking on walkie-talkies even though we were 10 feet away.

“That...stomping noise. It keeps happening every few seconds. Are you sure you don’t hear it?” she asked.

“Nope, don’t hear it.”

“You’ve got to hear it. Come on.”

“I already said no.”

“Ugh... Can you hear it now?” 

“No.”

“Now?” 

“No!”

“Fine!”

Silence.

“Now?”

“NO!”

Then my mom shouted from upstairs, “Sorry, if the creaky floor is bothering you two, I will be just a minute or two more.”

Oh. That explains it. I look over at Katie. She looks back at me. Then we laugh. For the next 10 minutes, we laugh and laugh. My mom comes in a few minutes later, asking if everything is okay. We stop laughing, stare at her, then resume laughing even harder. She chuckles and rolls her eyes, then walks out of the room, closing the door behind her. We can hear her murmur, “Those two are very...interesting.”

We laugh even harder.

2 days later…

Nov 13, 2021

We are still laughing. Just kidding...but seriously, it took us forever to stop laughing. Katie and I can’t go 10 minutes without texting each other another laughing emoji. I have no idea why we thought that was so funny, but it is. 

Anyway, today I got something in the mail this morning. I’m not sure if it is good or bad. It’s a book, but not just any book. It has 5,000 different facts about everything in it. I have already read 200! The thing is, I didn’t order it. There’s no return address, no receipt, even. Just a big, brown box. I don’t know who sent it or how! Maybe someone got it, but they didn’t want it anymore, so they took the packaging label off and gave it to me randomly for free. Whatever the reason, I’m glad that I got it because I love annoying my siblings and parents with random facts they don’t want to hear. Like creepy, crawly bugs facts. With pictures. He-he.

I am actually reading it while writing this right now! Here’s a random fact: Beetles and their larvae are a popular snack for people in parts of Asia, Africa and parts of Australia. Ooh! I was just flipping through the pages and saw a really good one: A $500 reward was offered to anyone who turned in the notorious outlaw Billy the Kid-dead or alive. That’s about $10,000 today.

Woah... That’s cool. Kinda scary too, I admit. I just texted Katie those facts. She responded with some scared emojis. Also, a money emoji, obviously. Haha! 

1 week later…

Nov 20, 2021

Hey there! Sorry, I have not been writing my diary entries a lot this week. I recently went on a surprise trip for my birthday with my family! Wait a minute. I just realized I forgot to write down that it was my birthday on Nov. 14. Oh, my, gosh! Anyway, I turned 13, if anybody was wondering. Not that anybody will be reading this...right, Cathy? (That’s my younger sister by three years. She gets into everything that I own!!)

Moving on from that, I can’t wait to tell you all about my trip! We went to the Amazon Rainforest, where we stayed at a cool lodge in the middle of nowhere! I know, I know, it sounds a bit strange, but just hear me out! We got to eat exceptionally unusual food that tasted so delicious and brilliant! We also got to take walks every day simply by stepping outside and breathing in the fresh air while walking through a big clearing (the natural kind, not the kind that is formed by workers cutting and sawing down trees, which I do not support by the way!) The plane ride there and back was fun also because I spent most of the time dreaming about the fun I was going to have (on the plane ride there) and dreaming about how much fun it was! (On the plane ride back)

Now that I am back, I invited Katie over to look at a few of the mementos I was allowed to take back home. A humongous leaf from the biggest tree I have ever seen in my entire life, some cacao beans, and a beaded necklace of a wonderfully pleasant girl whom I became friends with who was about my age and lives in the Amazon Rainforest. Katie told me to write in this entry that she admires the beaded necklace and wants to contact the girl, whose name, by the way, is Pixie Victoria. (Her real name in Spanish is Duendecillo Victoria. Cool right?)

Anyway, I have been glancing through the fact book some more, and I have now read 3,819 facts so far! Wow! I cannot believe I have been so interested in reading this many facts!

Here is one I recently read: Greenland sharks are also called sleeper sharks. 

That’s interesting! I never knew that! I know you probably are getting bored with these, but this one may be a bit fascinating! Tornado Chasers run to twisters, not away from them. These trained scientists place wind and pressure sensors as close to the storms as possible, as they speed away. 

I would never be able to manage that, but major points to the people who can! 

Speaking of jobs, my dream job is obviously to become a writer/author. I like writing short stories, and my mom says that because I possess an interest in writing in a diary, I will become a remarkably talented and best-selling author when I grow up! I dream of publishing a lot of books! Furthermore, I want to write books for children of all ages and teens/adults.

Well, I’ve got to go! It’s getting late, and I am starting to get sleepy! Goodnight! 

**Note: This is my first giant story of more than 1,000 words! Please give any suggestions, as long as they are pleasant and not in a criticizing manner. Thank you! 

November 11, 2021 22:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.