1 comment

General


Ok, so I’m only a minor celebrity in the TV world, but when the call came from my agent asking if I would like to go on Strictly Come Dancing, without thinking, I said yes. I had never danced in my life. I was sure that standing waving my hands and bobbing up and down in time to the music did not count as dance in the proper sense of the word. 

Our first day of rehearsals dawned. I arrived early in my usual anxiety. Thinking, “What have I done? Here I am sitting in the rehearsal room, it is huge with mirrors all around and it is freezing cold and I am shivering. Is it cold? Or fear? Or both?”

 My professional dance partner/trainer opened the door and with a smile, to me more like a wolfish grin, he entered and walked towards me with the grace of a panther. I watched, mesmerised, as he came towards me, feeling rather like a rabbit in the headlights. I knew I should have said no months ago when Libby, my agent, phoned, but I had this vision of me dancing in a long, floaty, glittering outfit, wearing those impossibly high heels in the arms of a dark, handsome man spinning me around the ballroom floor.  

Well, I had the dark, handsome man right there, but whether I’d be spinning was anyone's business.

This is what happened.

His hand outstretched, “Hi Belinda, so pleased to meet you. I’m Christoforos, but please call me Chris, it’s easier, not such a mouthful.” 
I beamed at him, thinking, ‘Great, I’m going to have this Greek god teach me how to move my two left feet in a dance!’ 
He rubbed his hands together, “We better get going. It’s so cold in here and the only way we are going to warm up is to dance.”
I nodded my head, yes to anything, just to be here is an experience.
He continued, “This week, we are doing the Jive. It is fast, but once you get the hang of it, you will find it quite easy.”
I looked at him dubiously. I did want to pleased this dancing god who had deigned to stoop low enough to teach me. So all I did was meekly nod my head, “You are in for a tough time I am useless at dancing.”
Those white teeth flashed, not in a growl but a beautific smile, “Nonsense, everyone who comes on the show has a nondance background, you will find your dance feet very quickly, I promise you.”
Soon we were jumping up and down and yes, he twirled me around. I was very glad for the lack of heating in the room as soon I was pouring sweat. We rehearsed for hours, I thought my body would object to this hectic work, but suddenly I found my second wind.
Chris smiled, “Yes, that’s better. You are getting the movement. Tomorrow we will concentrate on the technique.”  
  The week went on with long hours of practice interspersed with trips to the dressmakers’ rooms in the basement. That was like visiting Alladins Cave, there were garments in all stages of construction, some so close to finish I could fill in the missing bits and get the idea, but some just looked like strange shaped bits of cloth.  
On Friday, we went down to the main stage to have a run-through of our dance in the space we would be competing in the next day. 
 I could not believe it, but my Greek god had choreographed a routine, taught me, left-footed me, to dance. The costumes fitted perfectly, we stood on the floor, ready to perform. The blood was pounding in my ears, then I realised it was our music, my body took over and we DANCED!
Afterward, the judges talked to us then we went upstairs. I was in a dream state as we were greeted by all the others. Soon after, the scores were in, then I knew I’d learn how bad I was, but no there was cheering, we had scored a healthy 33!
My first dance proved I was wrong, I could dance. Now I really wanted to stay in the competition as long as possible, provided Chris could perform his magic. Yes, I did get to do an American Smooth with a lovely floaty dress in hold with my personal Greek god and I loved it.
We were knocked out at the semi-finals, but I can ballroom dance and that is something I thought would never happen. I now have to adjust to all the other plods not a Greek god dancing with me, but I know I am a good dancer. I proved it to myself. So much for all those fears at the start of this journey, they were all unfounded. 


November 10, 2019 15:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tvisha Yerra
20:54 May 29, 2020

This is such a cute story! I love seeing the difference between an author's first and latest story, and you have definitely improved. Also, I love your books!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.