5 comments

Friendship Fiction

It was almost time. Poppy stared out the frozen window, looking at the white snow. She waited, but knew she didn't have to wait long.

After a short while, she walked into her room, got her boots, coat, hat, gloves, and put them on. Poppy walked outside and felt a rushing cold breeze hit her cheeks. She looked at the landscape, it was quite a sight to see, the trees were shimmering in the sun, it looked very peaceful. The houses looked like they were never even painted a color, just pure white, and the fence was nothing but covered in snow. 

Poppy sat on the snow staring at the trees, and hearing birds chirp. She wondered why they haven't travelled south yet, Probably too cold to fly, she thought. Then Poppy noticed some paw prints leading to the backyard. huh? what's that? She followed the paw prints and found Coco, her persian cat. Poppy didn't spot Coco immediately. Her snow white fur blended perfectly in the white snow." Coco! What are you doing here, you silly cat?!?" Poppy laughed, but Coco just walked over to Poppy legs and rubbed her side against and purred. Poppy snorted. " You must be cold, come on" Poppy picked Coco in her warm arms.

Poppy walked back to the front with Coco in her arms. She put Coco down, the second she did, Coco peacefully walked inside the house. She looks like the loyal queen of the house, Poppy thought as she stood by the door. “ your majesty” she joked. 

Poppy went inside, her mom was in the kitchen, cooking. “ Hi mom!” she said. “ Hi sweety, you look excited. Whats up?” her mom replied. “ Mom, it's been so long,” Poppy sighed, dreamily. Her mom’s face looked perplexed. “ Mom, just wait” Poppy said, reading her mom’s face. “ Ok, lunch will be ready in 10.”, but Poppy just wandered outside without listening. 

Poppy walked outside again, but for some reason she felt colder. Poppy took a deep breath in. It smelled earthy, with a lingering scent of grass, and pinenes. She walked in the snow looking at nature, then she suddenly came across a deer. For some reason the deer looked majestic. Do you know what time feels like? Poppy thought, trying to communicate with it. Suddenly the deer’s ears perked up, and it stared at Poppy. Poppy was completely silent, she was so surprised. Then a leaf fell on the deer’s nose, and it gave out a cute little sneeze. Poppy smiled. The deer walked away.

Poppy continued to walk through her garden. She thought about her. Her amber brown eyes, she couldn't remember the exact shade of. Her caramel skin, and dark chocolate hair. It's been a while. Poppy thought. 

Poppy waited a while longer. Then she saw a car coming her way, it was a white car, with a bit of black stripes. Poppy didn’t remember her car. Maybe. 

The car stopped, a tall girl came out. The same amber eyes, caramel skin, and chocolate hair. She walked over to Poppy, and started talking. Poppy immediately recognized her voice. “ Hello, i'm looking for Silver canoe avenue. Do you know where it is?” she said in a mature but slightly squeaky voice. “ Uhh, this is Silver canoe avenue.” Poppy replied. “ Oh, thanks, but i'm looking for house no: 555, please.” she said. Then she looked over Poppy’s shoulder, and saw the house number, “555” she read aloud. She stared at Poppy, mesmerized, and Poppy stared back. “ Poppy?’’ she asked softly. “ Yes Hermione, it's me,” Poppy replied. Hermione pulled Poppy into a tight hug, and blinked back tears. “ I missed you so much,” Poppy whispered. “ I missed you too,” Hermione whispered back. 

After a few minutes of chatting outside, Poppy invited Hermione inside her house. Poppy’s mom was setting the table for lunch. “ Mom, I have a surprise for you!”. Poppy said cheerfully. “ Poppy you're just in time for lu-'' she stopped her tracks as she looked at Hermione. “ Hermione, is that you! How are you? I missed you.” Poppy’s mom said extremely happy. “ Ms. Miller! Yes I'm great. I feel so good to be back! I missed you too!” Hermione answered, she was so happy. “ Come have lunch with us, and tell us how you got here.” Ms. Miller said as she pulled a chair out for Hermione. Hermione took one look at the food and was amazed. “ Wow Ms. Miller, the food looks delicious!” Hermione said in amazement. “ Thank you Hermione,” Poppy’s mom said as she smiled. “ Come on guys, let's get this feast started!” Poppy said, already taking a brownie. So they did. Talking, laughing, and feasting.

After a delicious meal , Poppy and Hermione walked outside. Hermione sighed, “ Wow, Poppy, it's been such a long time since we saw each other, since we laughed together…. Since we went sledding together. ”. Poppy held Hermione’s hand tight. Hermione ran to her car and took out an old wooden sledge. “are you ready?” she asked, winking at Poppy. Poppy gasped, that sledge was their old sledge, the one they used to ride on when they were 6 years old. That sledge brought Poppy lot’s memories and flashbacks. “ Hermione, that’s o-our...’’ Poppy trailed off. “ Our sledge” Hermione smiled. “ so, are you ready?’’ she questioned again. “ Of course I am” Poppy cried. “ Hop on, you're wasting too much time!” Hermione said, trying to keep a straight face. “ you're the one that needs to have more patience” Poppy giggled. It was just like old times, laughing and horsing around. “ are we gonna get on this thing or what?” Hermione asked

“get on Hermione, you're the one wasting time now” Poppy laughed.

Once Hermione and Poppy were settled, Poppy did a countdown. “ 3 2 1 Push!”, they went gliding down the hill, with cold air hitting their cheeks. Hats were falling off their heads, and their life was zooming before their very own eyes. The hill was very steep, but Poppy and Hermione were already used to tumbling off their sledge, every now and then. After each fall they would go back up the hill, and sledge over and over again, until dawn. This time the ride felt longer than usual. The hill seemed to go on forever, but Poppy didn’t mind. She enjoyed it, she enjoyed Hermione’s company.

Dark was about to settle now, so they decided to go inside. Ms. Miller was inside reading a book. “ Hi girls, how was your day?’’ she asked. “It was great” both replied at the same time. “ wow” Hermione sighed “ it’s already night. Time flies by quickly when you're having fun.”. Poppy’s mom laughed.” you guys sure had a fun day, didn’t you?”. Poppy immediately replied “ yes mom we sure did, but i'm hungry, what's for supper?”, “ Well, i’m glad you asked. We are having spaghetti and meatballs!” 

“ My classic favorite!’’ Hermione squealed. “ so.. Let's start then” Poppy said as she skipped across to the kitchen. 

Poppy, Hermione, and Ms. Miller sat on the table and started eating. “ I’m glad i’m back” Hermione whispered to Poppy. “ So am I” Poppy whispered back.

Poppy sat there thinking, After all, tomorrow is another day, to be happy.  

January 22, 2021 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Zoe Knight
21:59 Jan 27, 2021

A simple and sweet story, though it's a bit hard to read through the dialogue because of the formatting.

Reply

Zunairah Irfan
12:20 Jan 28, 2021

Thank you for reading, and your your feedback! I will pay attention on this next time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Esther Ojifinni
00:15 Feb 11, 2021

This is such a cute story. I love how poppy and Hermione are. It's kinda sad tho personally because I can see myself doing this with my friends. I just want to point out a few things(Cuz everyone's a critic!) but don't feel bad because I have seen others do it and I do it myself. The punctuation. Some of the sentences don't have the proper punctuation. For example,“ wow” Hermione sighed" That didn't have punctuation (if you think I'm lying just check the second to last paragraph it's there) anyways it was a great story and I enjoyed it! I h...

Reply

Zunairah Irfan
17:02 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate that. Yes I see the mistakes in my puctuation. I will definitley take that in concideration. Thank you!

Reply

Esther Ojifinni
17:35 Feb 16, 2021

Your welcome :) I hope you win next time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.