0 comments

General

March 3 – Tomorrow, I leave for Egypt. I’ve been dreaming of this trip since I took that archeology class in college four years ago. Unfortunately, Carly broke her leg and cancelled on me two days ago. But, I’m still going. If I don’t go now while everything is in the works, I may never go and I can’t risk that.

 

March 5 – Made it to Luxor and settled in the hotel with a view overlooking the Nile. It’s magical here. I can feel it in my soul. I’m going to jump right in and visit the Valley of the Kings tomorrow.

 

March 6 - Incredible day yesterday! Explored three tombs. Took a hike outside of the Valley and went off the beaten path to sit and take it all in. Felt a strange sense of familiarity, belonging, just sitting there. I found a ring on the ground next to where I was sitting. It has some hieroglyphs on it. It's probably from a gift shop and was dropped by a tourist but I put it on a chain and am wearing it around my neck. Maybe it will bring me good luck. Ate at a small restaurant. Ordered something called kushari (mixture of lentils, rice and other stuff) and had aish baladi (bread). Delicious! Exhausted and going to bed. I can see the full moon from my window.

 

March 7 – Just woke up. Had a strange dream last night. At least I think it was a dream. A man, dressed like the figures carved in the walls of the tombs, was standing at the foot of my bed staring at me. My heart was pounding like a jackhammer I was so terrified. But he didn’t move. He just stood there motionless other than the rise and fall of his chest with each breath he took. He just kept staring. It wasn’t a cold stare. It was more of a curious stare. It felt like an eternity as the seconds ticked by. I stared back and when our eyes met, the tenseness in my body melted and the terror dissolved. I propped myself up on my elbows as I became intrigued. I studied his face. He looked Lebanese or Turkish. His cheeks and jawline were strong and perfectly chiseled. He took my breath away he was so gorgeous. My eyes slowly started drifting over him. He was a mountain of well-defined muscle. I felt a powerful attraction to him and closed my eyes for just a moment to take it all in. When I slowly opened my eyes, he had disappeared and I was awake resting on my elbows. It felt so real.

           Today I stayed on this side of the Nile. Toured some museums and the Temple Complex of Karnak. It was colossal and magnificent! But I was distracted all day by my dream the night before. Tired and ready for another day tomorrow.

 

March 8 – I had another experience last night. I was tossing and turning. At some point, I noticed the man standing at the foot of my bed again. I sat up and blinked to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. He was still there. He spoke. It wasn’t in English. I don’t know what language it was, but his voice was seductive and washed over me like silk. I crawled to the foot of the bed and knelt before him. He leaned down and I could swear I felt his breath on my neck. I closed my eyes and a soft whisper escaped his lips. Habiba. I nearly melted into a pool of lust. I opened my eyes and he was gone. I know he was real.

            I spent the day shopping but couldn’t shake last night from my mind. Bought a few beautiful alabaster vases, several handwoven scarves, some beaded headdresses, scented soaps…I asked a shop owner what Habiba meant. He said it was his grandmother’s name and it meant my beloved.

 

March 9 – Last night, I lay in bed waiting with my eyes closed, willing myself to stay awake. I sensed his presence and the second I opened my eyes, I met his. Slowly, I pulled my sheet aside. He climbed over me. Face-to-face, his eyes were penetrating. I swear they could see into my soul. I could not feel his flesh against mine yet I could feel him inside every inch of body. The heat flowed through me at a feverish pitch. I was floating somewhere beyond earth, beyond the physical. He was taking me on a journey I had never been. Shocks of pure pleasure pulsated through me. I had lost all control, but I would have willingly given it up. His voice vibrated through my soul when he spoke. Habiba. Then, a million little sparks exploded inside me and my eyes closed. When I awoke, the sun was shining through the window and I was alone.

           I’m leaving tomorrow. Today is my last day to spend in Luxor. I have a sailing tour on the Nile in a felucca boat scheduled for this afternoon. Hopefully, it will allow me to keep my sanity…until tonight.

 

March 10 – The felucca boat ride yesterday was wonderful. The river was calm and the views were spectacular, but the prior night was always in my thoughts. I went to bed certain he would come. Like the night before, I lay awake. And like the night before, he took me to another universe. I fought hard to stay awake because I knew if I closed my eyes, he would vanish and it would be over. I didn’t want it to end. I could have stayed where I was with him for eternity. The last thing I remember was an eruption of rapture so intense that it nearly sent me into convulsions. I woke up this morning with an overwhelming sadness, convinced that he was not a dream. When I rolled over, I felt something wrapped around my arm. It is the most magnificent gold cuff I have ever seen. It has an ankh symbol made from lapis lazuli surrounded by intricate engravings and covered in emeralds.

           

 

April 07, 2020 04:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.