5 comments

Drama

Lily was so angry with herself, she could scream. Running two blocks in heels while a storm threatened overhead was not the Monday morning she anticipated. She grumbled to herself as she tried not to do a face plant on her way to the job interview. She never expected this opportunity, and she wasn’t about to blow it now. This cushy New York City Journalist position would be the opportunity of a lifetime.

Lily was never late for anything. So, how she overslept and is now in jeopardy of being late for this interview, she can’t say. She hurried inside the high rise building as the first angry drops of rain began to fall. Glancing at her watch, she had four minutes before she had to be on the twenty-fifty floor to make it to her interview. As long a there were no interruptions, she might make it.

“Please hold the elevator,” she called out as she half jogged, half slid toward the closing doors. Luckily, a man in a sleek, dark brown suit, the only person in the elevator, threw out his arm in the nick of time, preventing the doors from closing. Finally, a small amount of luck, she thought as she stepped inside, thanking the man several times.

Lily didn’t notice him holding back laughter as he watched her antics. She did her best at attempting to smooth her hair and clothing with her one free hand. The other hand clutched a shiny new briefcase.  The man found the situation amusing because it brought back memories fo his beginning, so many years ago—always rushing, frequently frazzled.

“Twenty-five, please,” Lily said as she tried in vain to get herself together.

“Slow down, my dear. Take a breath,” the man said. “Whatever it is, it’ll be ok.”

“Excuse me?” Lily asked as she tried to check her make-up in her reflection from the elevator doors.

“Pardon my rudeness,” he said. You seem to be in a rush, and I wanted you to know that everything always has a way of working out.”

Lily stopped fussing with herself and looked at the man. “I’m not so sure about that. I have an important job interview in about two minutes. If I’m late, well, I don’t want to think about that. I can’t be late.” The man smiled warmly as Lily spoke. Before either had a chance to speak, the elevator jerked to a stop.

“What happened? Are we stuck?” Lily asked frantically.

The man stepped forward and pressed a few buttons, but nothing happened. He noticed tears forming in Lily's eyes. “Don’t fret. It’ll be alright.”

“You don’t understand. I need this job more than you can imagine. If I’m late, I don’t stand a chance of getting it.”

A man’s voice echoed in the small space. “Hang tight. The power is out from the storm. We’ll get you out of there as soon as we can.”

The man smiled again at Lily. “Seems like the whole building if out of power. The interviewer will understand that it’s not your fault, so try to relax. My name is Jared. It’s nice to meet you,” he said, holding out his hand.

Lily took the extended hand, then looked at Jared. She guessed he was in his early sixties. “It’s nice to meet you,” she said. “My name is Lily.” She couldn’t put her finger on what it was, but there was something familiar about Jared. The same male voice echoed through the room once again. “I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to get you two out of there for about an hour. We’re working as fast as we can, so try to be patient.”

Lily slid down the wall until she was sitting, a defeated look on her face. “I have an idea,” Jared said. “Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself? It’ll pass the time.”

Lily looked up at Jared and smiled, her shoulders beginning to relax slightly. “Sure, that’s a good idea.”

“Did you grow up nearby? Are you close to your parents?” He asked.

“I moved here recently. I finished college about six months ago, and I’m here to try to get a job as a journalist. And I’m close to my mom. I never knew my father.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Jared said genuinely.

“It’s ok. My mom met him while she was overseas. He was in the Army. My mom fell in love with him quickly, and they had sort of a whirlwind romance while in Italy. For some reason, he had to leave quickly before she got his number and last name. Unfortunately, she found out she was pregnant with me and had no way to tell him.”

The man got a strange look on his face that Lily noticed. “Are you alright, Jared?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” he said. “Sorry to hear about that. It must have been difficult for your mother.”

“It was. My mother never got over him and has been unsuccessful in her search for him. She never dated anyone else. She told me she really loved him. I saw a picture of him. It’s blurry and not a great picture, but from what I could see of him, he was handsome. She told me his name was Sam. So, where were you headed, Jared, before we got stuck?”

“I was going to the same place as you. I have to interview a lovely young woman for a journalist position,” He said as he winked at Lily.

She burst out laughing. “You’re kidding me, right?”

He laughed. “I’m not. I own the company for which you’re applying. If you’d like, I can begin the interview here. It’s up to you. I know this is a bit of a nerve-wracking situation.”

Lily laughed at the absurdity of the situation and agreed to begin the interview. She found Jared to be easy-going and delightful. They hit it off immediately, and he hired her on the spot, and for more money than Lily ever expected. She knew the market, and his offer was well above average. She was beside herself.

“This may sound strange,” Lily said, after the interview, “but you seem familiar to me. I don’t know why.”

Jared opened his mouth to respond when the man from earlier said they’d have them free in a few seconds. The two exited the elevator when it opened to the twenty-fifth floor. He told Lily to see the receptionist because she needed to fill out some paperwork and that he’d speak to her soon. Before he left her at the front desk, he turned to her and said, “Lily, if you could find your father, would you want to?”

“Absolutely. Why do you ask?” she asked, curious.

“I was just wondering.” He pulled a business card from inside his jacket and handed it to her. It was wonderful meeting you, Lily. I’m sure you’ll fit in perfectly here, and I hope that soon, you’ll feel like we’re family. I’ll be in my office, in case you have any questions.”

As Jared walked away, Lily looked down at the business card the president of the company handed her. Once she read the full name, she teared up and couldn’t believe her luck after all. The name on the card read, Jared Samuel Smith. She looked up just as Jared disappeared into his office. She realized that the elevator ordeal was more than dumb luck. It was fate. She realized the significance of what Jared said, that it’ll feel like family. “I guess it will,” she mumbled, “Sam.” Lily wiped away tears as she began filling out the paperwork for something that suddenly became much more than a job.

September 08, 2020 16:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ariadne .
22:59 Sep 13, 2020

Oh my, this was fantastic! I got teary-eyed when Lily realized that Jared was the father she never knew. This is such a cool way of having two people meet in an elevator. Usually, it's more romantic but this was (in my opinion) much better! Possibly because it is not used too much. Nonetheless, you are a gifted writer! Keep writing and please check out my story! I'd appreciate it!

Reply

Gina Burke
00:10 Sep 14, 2020

Wow. Thank you for that kind reply

Reply

Ariadne .
01:33 Sep 14, 2020

No problem! Please read my story if you can! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:40 Sep 10, 2020

This. Is. AWESOME!!! As soon as Lily brought up her dad, I was like, IT’S JARED, IT’S JARED, IT’S JARED!! And it was Jared!!! Really great story, Gina. A sweet tale about meeting you dad on an elevator...stalling. KEEP WRITING! ~Aerin P. S. Would you mind checking out one or two of my newer stories? Thanks!

Reply

Gina Burke
14:40 Sep 12, 2020

thank you so much for your kind comment. I'm glad you enjoyed my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.