0 comments

Fiction Suspense

——Kate——

Rough hands shook me awake. Screams and running feet flooded my senses as I stared into a usually smiling face now contorted into a grimace. He staged me out of bed, throwing clothes and an old bag at my feet. I struggled to get into my clothes as my blood pounded and my eyes tried to shut. I staggered into the kitchen catching a glimpse of fires and running people through the grimy window. We hurried down the tunnels and into the sewers. As we ran through other families joined us, coming down from the many branching tunnels to join our line. We could still hear the chaos above, will muffled gun shots and screaming. If echoed strangely and for a moment you could calm you blood and imagine it was something else, the screaming of rats or maybe even a new mechanical system to pump the water through the large vaulted tunnels. Though the stench of the sewage invaded our noses, no one complained as we ran. Even the smaller children understood that a single noise could be our undoing and that it is was still better here than in the city above. Light was shining from the other side of the tunnel, dark light, barely brighter than the sewers themselves, but it was still light and light meant hope. 

An old lady at the front froze raising her hand slowly to signal a hold, but a child ran past as he caught a glimpse of the outside world. He tripped with a screech that echoed back down the sewers, like the ripple of a single drop before the storm. Footsteps echoed from somewhere behind us and shouts soon followed. My stomach dropped as black clad men with rifles came sprinted into view. Adrenaline fuelled our steps now as we ran. As we flew towards the exit. The echos of the world above seemed to cease as screams and gunfire bloomed from all around us. I dashed forward thinking only of myself as a small girl fell to gunfire behind me. I had to get out. I had to survive. Others were already leaping from the end of the tunnel. Some ran back to grab children who had fallen behind. Many of the rescuers fell near me but I kept going. The dawn turned the sky through the opening to peach and purple rays that painted the heavens with glory. Paving the way of the sun in rose gold. It was right in front of me when I heard Jack. When I heard him shout my name. When I heard his scream. I would like to say I ran back for him. I would like to say I actually thought to grab my own brother after he screamed behind me. But no. I jumped, springing into the air and screwing my eyes shut as the wind whipped tears from my eyes. As gunshots still fired and screams still replaced the birdsong in the morning light. I plummeted down and into the stinging arms of the sea.

——Tomas——

I lay in bed with my eyes open as footsteps rang into my room with the night air. I heard Mama’s footsteps easing down the stairs to greet whoever knocked at the door. The murmur of her voice speaking to someone almost lulled me back to sleep, but my eyes sprung open again when a horse voice replied. More footsteps. The creaking of the door. Mama walked around the house, unfamiliar footsteps singing out with hers. Soon she was walking up the stairs again, just her steps. She stopped at my door and I screwed my eyes shut as it was opened. She bent over me and tapped me on the shoulder. “Tom, do you want to sleep in my bed tonight?” I opened my eyes and nodded. She took me into the soft blankets, the warmth of her arms around me. I snuggled down and she sang. The lullaby wrapped me in her sweet, soft voice and pulled me gently down into the waiting arms of sleep.

Mama wasn’t in bed when I woke up. I looked around hurriedly but she wasn’t in the room. Feeling abandoned I froze when I heard her voice coming from downstairs, carrying with it the sent of sizzling bacon. Excited I leaped from the bed and rushed down the stairs grinning. I paused halfway down, openly staring at the people in horror. There were so many of them, they were dirty and they weren’t Mama. I glared at them and a little boy even dared to approach me. “Hello,” he looked sheepishly at me. I opened my mouth to say something witty that would make him cry or at least something Billy said in the school yard that I found ‘witty’, when Mama came through the people and up to me. “Tom, these people are going to stay with us for a while so Mama needs you to be on your best behaviour. Ok?” I shook my head, folded my arms and stamped my foot. I learnt that from dad, Mama always did what he said when he folded his arms and stamped his black booted foot. Mama looked at me… no Mama glared at me. I unfolded my arms and felt the tears stinging my eyes. Her glare crumbled and she picked me up. “Nancy, could you look after breakfast please?” A woman nodded her head and moved over to the frying pan in which more eggs and more bacon than I had ever seen in one place was sizzling. 

“You’d better go to school, Mama will be waiting for you when you get home,” Mama said, handing me my bag.

“But what if they hurt you!” I breathed hugging onto her leg. 

“They are nice people, Tom!” She gave me a stern look, at least it wasn’t a glare.

“Why are they here then!” I yelled tightening my grip on her leg.

“This isn’t a place for bad people,”

“Good people could find somewhere else to stay! Anyway we don’t have enough toys.”

“If that were the case then you could share yours,” she said, a note of amusement adding a warmer harmony to her voice. I looked up at her in horror and shock.

“Do I have to- to share with them!?” 

“No Tom, you don’t have to share with them anything you don’t want to share with them.”

“I don’t want to share you, or the house or my toys. Not even my food.” 

“Just go to school Tom. Mama will be waiting for you to come home and protect me.”

“Mama, why are these people here?” I peer at her where she stirs the large pot of curry over the oven.

“Because they can’t go home anymore.”

“Why can’t they go home?” She stayed silent and I repeated the question, feeling slightly annoyed. “Why can’t they go home?”

“Another time, Tom.” She said without looking at me, her eyes fixed on the pot.

“Mama-”

“I said another time, we’ll talk about it another time.” I glared at the side of her head.

“Mama! Why are these people here?” The quiet conversation of said people in the room stopped abruptly as I shouted. Mama’s face went red.

“I’m so sorry about Tom, he isn’t used to more than just me being in the house.”

“If these people get to stay can dad come home, Mama?” Before her face was red with embarrassment but now she pursed her lips and glared at me.

“Go to your room.”

“Mama!”

“Now Tom.”

So the people stayed, they stayed for months until another knock sounded on the door. I rushed to open it, fearing Mama’s wrath. Soldiers in back walked past me without a word. Rifles were held in their arms. “Mama!” I shouted fear suddenly rising in me.

“I’ll be right there Tom! Just let me finish helping Kate!” The men turned towards the room where Mama’s voice had come from. I latched onto one pulling him back.

“Why do you have a gun?” He shook me off with a laugh, slamming me against the wall with a quiet little crack. “Mama!” I cried out as a man raised his gun to the door.

“I said I’d be right there Tom!” The annoyance in her voice made me gulp back tears.

“Mama HE’S GOING TO—” 

Bang

The man stepped aside from the door. Firing a single shot as it opened. One bullet. One shot.

“Mama!”

The men stepped over the body and began firing at the people, now trapped in the small room. They could die for all I cared. The soldiers could fire every last bullet. I wouldn’t mind. In fact I’d cheer them on if they would take back that first shot. 

I scrambled to her side, shaking her as she stared at nothing.

“Mama?” Only gunshots and screams answered. Some blood had escaped her mouth and was already crusting up on her lip one more sign of life vanishing. I hugged her tight not knowing what to do. There was no one to go to— dad. I could go to dad and tell him what happened to Mama. He would help, he had to help.

——Phil——

I sat occasionally wriggling in the scratchy uniform. It was black. Not very peace inspiring in my opinion but it would have to do. Rows of other soldiers sat in front and behind me, all wearing the black uniform. The admiral was on a small stage, like the ones you find in halls for rent. Dodgy and it squeaked when it walked. Rather sad for the defenders of peace. I turned to whisper about this with whoever was on my left but I fell silent when he didn’t respond. Some people acted so sober, you can’t have peace without joy can you? 

“You are the first line of defence, you are the ones who will bring peace to our world. You will restore us to glory. I am proud of all you boys, in fact pride is too shallow a feeling compared to how I feel when I look upon you, our defenders. Though I can see it now, you need to show others. To prove your might to the world. To end all the little scuffles between countries and gutter rats. To bring our world together.” I grinned and felt my chest swelling with bravado and pride. It always felt like the admiral was talking to me and me alone. It was like he cared about everyone but I came first. I smiled up at him and remembered the stupid stage and the plastic chairs that we sat on. Soon people would understand what we are doing, soon people will praise us, soon. Soon we won’t have a dodge stage or plastic chairs. 

I marched with the other soldiers we didn’t sing despite my protests. One day we will. I held my gun as we came into the first city that will soon know peace. I raised my gun as people noticed our arrival, a twinge of guilt rose in my stomach but I shook it off easily and fired the rifle. With the bang and the scream I felt the admiral’s eyes on me, I saw him nod with pride. No matter the screams I was doing the right thing. If the admiral wanted it, the world needed it.

For the admiral I fired, for the world I killed.

August 05, 2021 23:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.