I Spy With My Little Eye...(Part Two)

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of three different characters.... view prompt

52 comments

Fiction Speculative Horror

(Authors Note: Sorry, this doesn't really match the prompt. But the series must go on!)

“Is he dead? Is dad dead?”

“Oh sweetheart. Of course not. He’s in Australia. Don’t you remember?”

“But I was thinking about him and...I saw through his eyes. He was being hung. He was in an empty field.” I told mom.

“H-h-honey?”

“Yeah, what.” I questioned

“You are one of them. One of the two. The two sightseer’s.

“I-I-I-am?”

“Yes. The only other one is unknown.”

“Wait so you are saying that I am a sightseer?”

“Yes. I will go get the doctor and tell him. He will be super surprised!”

“Hmm. Yes. I see.” He mumbled.

“What is it?”

“It seems that you are the only known person in the world to have this power.

“Your power (sightseeing) is very, very, rare.

“Ok...and?”

***

“There are six people in the world with powers. You are one of them.”

“Yeah, I know. How many powers are there?” I asked doctor James.

“There are three powers. Telekinesis, telepathic, and sightseeing. The people with telekinesis are twins, Elijah and Elaine. The telepath's are Henry Wake and John Muller. And you are the only known sightseer right now. There is another sightseer out there and we haven’t figured out who it is. But whoever it is, they are overusing their power for bad things.” He explained.

“Do we need to worry?” mom asked.

“Oh, no. There is no need to worry. Soon we will catch him and throw him in jail.”

“Well what about me?!” I asked the doctor.

***

“We are going to have to take you to a different family. A family that will handle you better.”

“But I love my family. You can’t just separate me from them! That's unfair!”

“Well that's life, kid. You just gotta deal with it.” James announced;.

“We are taking you to the family tomorrow. Pack all your bags. All of your mind ruining screens that you kids use.” He explained.

“But I don’t want to be separated from my family!”

“I’m sorry kid, but you have to be. Your family can’t take care of you anymore.” He told me.

“He’s right Natalie. We can’t take care of you. Ever since we lost your dad,-

“So you’re admitting that dads dead.”

***

“Well...I’m sorry honey but he is dead. He didn’t go to Australia to work. He was a criminal. We were very poor and needed money so people paid him to murder, steal, rob, and eventually, the cops caught him and sent him to jail. While he was in jail he got into fist fight, and got hurt really badly. He was in a big fight one day and...the cops shot him.” Mom explained.

“So dad got shot and died? Oh my god.” I uttered.

“Yes sweetheart. On May 23rd.”

“Mom?”

“Yeah?”

“That was my birthday. And you said dad just wouldn’t be able to make it home. You lied to me!” I said, my voice cracking.

***

“Honey I’m sor-” I cut her off.

“Mom! I can handle the truth! I'm not a kid anymore! And I can’t believe you lied to me!” My yelling turned into sobbing.

My dad was dead and I never knew. Mom lied to me! She never does that. I guess she was just trying to hide his death so I wouldn’t be sad.

“M-m-m-mom?”

“Yeah sweetheart?”

“Number one, don’t call me sweetheart, number two, I can’t be with you anymore. Number three, GO.” I said, dead serious.

***

“Why?”

“Because you are not my family anymore. You can't be. You're not my mom anymore.”

She left the room, sobbing on her way out.

“Okay.” The doctor announced. “You will be staying with the Wachowskis. Are you familiar with them? The doctor asked.

“No. Let me try thinking of one of them.

I felt like I was being pulled into a video game, then Lucy's high nasal voice broke through the air.

“No, no, no!” I thought. I had to stay with her of all people!

“I can’t stay with them. When I was little I was playing popcorn on her trampoline and she broke my arm. Do you remember when I came in for that?”

“No, I don’t. But I do remember one thing. You said that you broke your arm by flying off a swing. Not by flying out of a trampoline.”

***

“Well, I had to. Back then me and Lucy were friends. Well, until now. If I think back to one of my stories that I wrote there is something I remembered.”

“Well what is it?” The doctor asked.

“Friend ends with an end. Boyfriend ends with an end. Girlfriend ends with an end. But family ends with an ily. And ily stands for I love you.” 

“Wow Andrea. Those are some very powerful words. Do you write? That is a great quote.”

“Thank you. I made it myself!” I said, feeling proud of myself.

“Well chop chop! Tomorrow, a new family is to come.”

I dropped my bags down at the front door of Lucy's house. I really didn’t want to press that rusty old doorbell.

***

I pressed it. Pressed it again. Kept on pressing. Nothing.

Maybe the doorbell was broken. I tried knocking. Kept on knocking. Nobody came to the door. The house just sat there, like a dead leaf.

I knocked the skin off my knuckles. There was dried blood on my fingers.

I looked around for a key and found one inside of the garden gnome.

I stuck the key inside of the slot, and twisted it.

***

“Creak.” The door opened, revealing a dusty, old abandoned house.

The doctor gave me the right address, right? The address was 1730 Coko Dr.

The door shut behind me. I ran over to the door and tried to go out. I couldn’t because it was locked though. So who could’ve locked that door?

I looked around for a light switch, because it was pitch black inside of there.

The walls felt very sticky, like it was just coated in a new layer of paint. But it couldn't be. 

***

The house had been abandoned for years now from the look of it.

Finally, I found a light switch and flicked it on.

I stared at the walls, which I now realized what I thought was paint, was actually blood.

“Hello.”

August 02, 2021 19:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Liz Redt
00:14 Aug 12, 2021

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make a thrid one pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!

Reply

I totally would but I don't have enough time. I also like to leave my stories on cliff hangers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Why were you guys (Dhwani Jain and Wolf Warrior) commenting so much on my book?! I mea thank you, but thats a lot of comments. Thanks! (Don't delete them.) What am I even saying?

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
19:01 Aug 05, 2021

wow, alright then. Looks like a plot twist to me. Oh, and thanks for that image at the end, it's just great *note the sarcasm* Same as before, there are 'leaks' in your story where information is missing. Here are the errors: "“Yes. I will go get the doctor and tell him. He will be super surprised!” “Hmm. Yes. I see.” He mumbled." --> wow, quick transition here. the least you could do is put a divider, like this ****, or even add a couple of sentences saying 'he rushed in urgently' or something. "“Ok...and?” *** “There are six people in t...

Reply

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

TJ Squared
19:12 Aug 05, 2021

you're very welcome. I hope it wasn't too much or too harsh...

Reply

No! It definetly wasn't. I love getting feedback.

Reply

TJ Squared
19:37 Aug 05, 2021

alright, good to know :) how you doing?

Reply

I'm doing great, how about you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:04 Aug 05, 2021

:D Love your stories👍❤

Reply

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
15:08 Aug 05, 2021

:D hiya Breckin! I'll try to read this series a bit later, kinda busy rn

Reply

Ok! No problem!

Reply

TJ Squared
18:23 Aug 05, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
18:43 Aug 04, 2021

:D Constantly reloading for the Yellow dot 😫 Guilty as charged.

Reply

Show 0 replies

The series must go on!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
16:27 Aug 06, 2021

New Story! Reviews are appreciated!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hehe. The yellow dot is a part of me.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.