0 comments

Thriller Suspense

“God, I hate being stuck down here,” she whispered aloud. All elements of her facial features were stretched tight as burgeoning stress consumed her body. She repeatedly pushed back loose strands of errant hair over and behind her ears. Six stories below ground. Although, Annalise generally did not mind closed in spaces, something about the limited egress challenged her sense of safety.

Shifting her weight from foot to foot, the mechanical whir of the elevator provided much needed relief. “Finally,” she wheezed. A welcomed ping echoed throughout the basement floor. Annalise’s elevator escape had arrived.

Seven months into her first job out of college, Annalise had slowly grown accustomed to her new workplace. The day in, day out grind kept her largely occupied – she still dreaded the elevator descents to the classified office, but once she was reviewing troves of foreign government documents, the surrounding elements faded away.

Perhaps the most enduring difficulty of her job, was the lasting impact of the pandemic. Already contained in an isolated work environment, her overall life had been sapped of all human connection. Annalise kept lonesomeness at bay by intensifying her focus on the job, but the workplace provided no respite for her lack of social bonds. FaceTimes, Zooms, and good old fashion phone calls allowed for a tenuous grasp on familial relations and friendships, but even Annalise recognized her steady plunge into a pitiful form of solitude.

She wasn’t even supposed to be at work today. In an attempt to regulate some form of pandemic social distancing, the office was closed on Friday. Annalise and her four colleagues were charged with conducting research at home on unclassified systems. A gambit at justified busy work, but truly a waste of time. Importantly, the office chief, Jeremy, her boss, had sent at least five internal memoranda dictating the policy citing mandatory instruction/direction from the home office. Annalise had obediently followed the instruction.

Well, up until today. But, in her opinion, it was simply incidental.

Burning the midnight oil Thursday night, Annalise was wading through piles of texts between Belarusian officials. As the hours bored on, Annalise eventually woke up at eight the next morning with a crick in her neck and paper towers surrounding her head. Seeing she was already in the office, she had decided to just stay and work through most of her Friday morning. No harm, no foul – just a slight bending of the rules. However, she now needed to head home. Per Jeremy’s banal attempts at camaraderie, the office team Zoom was scheduled for Friday afternoon. A half hour of chitchat and pleasantries, it was a joyless time all for the benefit of Jeremy – a goofy, if not friendly boss, Jeremy’s nerdy, oblivious aurora lent itself to humorous comparisons of a blonde, balding Michael Scott.

The steady pull of the elevator lightened Annalise’s mood. She would be home in fifteen minutes, participate in the forced fun Zoom, and then settle down with a glass of wine, a book, and maybe some Thai. I should call Mom. And Dad. I guess the sibs. Annalise mindlessly gnawed on her thumb. She paused.

“Damn.”

Pulling her tote to the front, Annalise pushed through its contents. Work laptop? Check. Wallet? Check. Keys? Check. Work Cell? Check. Personal Cell? …No. Releasing a strong exhale, her eyes rolled to the elevator’s ceiling. “Next to the Keurig.” Raising her volume in annoyance. “I left it right next to Keurig.”

The elevator jostled to a stop. The notifying ping registered throughout the deserted lobby. Annalise lurched forward and grabbed the side of the doors, keeping the elevator open, her mind racing. If I go back down, I have to take the team Zoom meeting in the office. Great job, Annalise. Not even a year in and you are going to be breaking rules. But, what does it matter? Jeremy won’t really care… In fact, you are showing off your hard work. He will understand. Annalise’s rationalization was largely clouded by her overwhelming desire to have her cell phone. Sure, she needed to call family, but how would she best watch Netflix in bed over the weekend? Annalise searched the empty lobby looking for a sign. Cosmic guidance. Through the tinted glass, all she witnessed was a barren parking of a non-descript business park in suburban Virginia. Annalise gazed longingly at her maroon Ford Explorer.

“Oh well. Time to break some rules.”

Resigned to her decision, Annalise stepped back and released the elevator doors. There were no buttons to press. The elevator simply crawled back to its basement dwelling. She leaned on the back wall and mentally prepared for the return descent.

Two minutes later yet another ping screamed through the basement level.

“Ah, back home.”

Annalise raised her eyebrows as she readied her badge, which seconded as a key. As with most professional automaton behavior, swiping her badge was Pavlovian. Three swipes to get in and three swipes to get out. First, at the building entrance. Second, at the elevator. And third to get through the basement lobby to a winding series of cubicles, computer terminals, and printers. Stepping into the lobby, motion detection ensured her pathway would be illuminated. Quick blasts of light made the basement level pathway a demented version of the yellow brick road. Twenty paces later, she was finally swiping through the office doors. With the final swipe, Annalise was greeted by a pneumatic hiss and an eerie crackling as all the lights of the office space grew to full illumination. As she plodded her way to the winding back, Annalise rummaged for her laptop while checking her watch, Five minutes to show time.

Her desk was a cornucopia of pulp. Stacks upon stacks of papers that were all intricately turned to different degrees signifying date, country of origin, and agency. Annalise desperately wanted to establish a cleaner method of organization, but knew no better way to implement her strategy. Moreover, no one seemed to care about the state of her desk. Her office mates were certainly not paragons of order, particularly her immediate cubicle neighbor, Jason. The stacks of empty styrofoam ramen cups provided a constant scent of decay in their back corner. Seven months in, Annalise still did not think she had the seniority to say something.

After plugging her computer into its dock, Annalise began the rituals of Zoom presentation etiquette. Although she had not showered for a couple of days and her mouth was uncomfortably tacky, Annalise figured she could spruce up for the wonders of video conferencing. Turning on her computer, she opened the call, which provided an open video feed to take a quick look in the camera. Deftly combing her fingers through her unkempt hair, Annalise twisted her hair into a presentable bun. She quickly wiped a tissue over her front teeth, not leaving a sparkle, but less fuzz. A brief sweater check for spills or crumbs. Finally gazing at her reflection in the monitor, Annalise was pleased with her appearance, perhaps a bit tired looking, but presentable. Looking at the corner screen clock, it was time to meet.

Annalise moved the mouse to click JOIN, but she left the cursor hovering over the button. Maybe Jeremy will be pissed I am at the office. She locked eyes with her reflection. Maybe there’s another way.

“Why even turn on the camera?”

Her lips turned in to slight wry smile. That’s right. Don’t even turn on the camera. No one will know I am here. She snickered.

“You are too stressed out.”

With a quick flick of her wrist, Annalise shut the computer camera lens. Problem solved.

“Happy Friday, team!” Jeremy’s voice boomed over the computer’s speakers. “TGIF, am I right?!”

Jeremy cut an imposing figure on Annalise’s massive 40-inch screen. His wolfish grin seemed to stretch the entirety. As the team joined, a Brady Bunch square of faces populated her screen.

An uneven chorus response rang out from the ragtag team. Jason, Chris, Oscar, and Janet in faulty unison rejoined, “Good afternoon, Jeremy.”

Annalise scanned their faces. What a group. All seemingly compliant in attendance and all were on screen except for her.

“Hey, good to see you Janet. I see your cat is joining us too.”

“Whoa, Chris, you sitting out on balcony?! What a great day.”

“Hah, Jason, I see you still got Baby Yoda keeping your desk company.”

“Oscar, you are headed to Philly this weekend, right?!”

Jeremy radiated the paternal consideration of a decent boss. God, he’s goofy, but he’s a good guy.

“Hey Annalise, you with us?!” Jeremy beamed.

Annalise hit the unmute button. “Hey, Jeremy. Yep, I am here. Just not feeling camera ready.”

Jeremy’s smile remain fixed in place. “Now com’ on.” His eyebrows slightly raised. “Being part of this team, we all get to let our hair down a little bit for these calls. No reason to be shy.”

“Heh. Um.” Annalise fumbled for the right words. “Jeremy, I really am a mess.” Try humor? “It is for everyone’s benefit I stay off camera.”

The was a smattering of chuckles from the team.

“I totally get it.” Janet offered in some off hand feminist support.

Jeremy’s smile slightly faltered. “Well, Annalise.” His voice dropped and tightened. “Please join the call via camera. This is a requirement.”

Annalise froze. Oh God, he’s pissed. “Um, sure Jeremy. Just give me a moment.” Moving her mouse, the cursor lingered. Ugh. This is gonna be bad. Click.

“Here I am. Good to see everyone.” Annalise pitched with near falsetto.

“Hey, there she is!” Oscar attempted his best finger guns that limply failed.

Annalise skimmed from face to face. They all were studying her background. They all knew where she was. Complete silence.

Annalise’s gaze fell on Jeremy. His smile had dipped to an ugly grimace.

“Where are you, Annalise?”

“Um, Jeremy, I am so sorry, but I can…”

Jeremy’s eyes flashed to the side and then back to the screen. “Everyone get off the call. Everyone except Annalise.”

Annalise reeled in horror. “Jeremy, I am so sorry. I will leave right now. I...”

“Stop.” Jeremy’s eyes settled solely on Annalise. “Did the rest of you not hear me? Get off now.”

Annalise scanned the screen. Her hands moving to her face. Please don’t go! Abruptly, one by one, the other video feeds turned off, leaving only Oscar with his mouth agape.

“Now. Oscar.”

“Uh, yes, sorry, Jeremy.” Blip. With the remaining camera feed gone, Annalise’s screen filled solely with Jeremy’s hostility.

Annalise’s cheeks glowed flush. “Jeremy, I am so sorry. I screwed up. I didn’t mean to violate any COVID protocols.”

He slowly shook his head while his eyes remain locked on the screen. “Annalise. You really should not be there.”

“I’ll pack my things and go right now.”

Jeremy continued to slightly turn his head side to side. His eyes lowered. He turned to his right. Silence.

Annalise stood grabbing her tote. “Jeremy, I..”

“Tch, tch.” Jeremy clicked his tongue turning back to face the screen. “Annalise, I’m afraid you can’t leave.” He raised his eyes seemingly burning through her. “If I were you, I would listen very carefully to what you need to do next.”

Annalise slowly lowered herself back into her chair, scared to look away from the screen.

Ping.

Her head jerked to the right. The unmistakable clarion call of the elevator. The shrill ring vibrated from the dark office lobby. A slight whirr reverberated as the elevator started its ascent up six stories.     

Someone was in the building. Someone was coming down. She slowly turned back to the screen.

Jeremy’s face had settled into a waxen glaze. His lips tightly pursed.

“Annalise. Soon you will not be alone, but you must do exactly as I say.” He cleared his throat. “Otherwise, you may very well die.” Jeremy again quickly flashed to his right and then back to the camera.

Her breathing had quickened to sharp, breathy gulps. A cold sweat trickled down her spine.  

“There are two individuals who will be entering the office under my credentials.” Jeremy paused for effect. “These are dangerous men, Annalise, but they are not here for you.”

“No, no, no, no.” Annalise quietly whimpered.

“Shut up.” Jeremy glowered. “Listen. Move to kitchen area. Stand next to fridge. That is out of eyeline. These gentlemen are coming to retrieve some documents off my desk. Stand next to the fridge and don’t move. They will be in and out.” His eyes slowly drifted to the right before moving swiftly back to center.

Annalise gazed despondently at the screen. He’s not alone. From somewhere in the depth of the basement lobby, the elevator gears again began to whir.

“Oh God.” Annalise turned her head. “The elevator’s coming down.”

“Move, Annalise. MOVE!”

Annalise jumped up sending her chair flying back to the wall on its rollers, but never taking her eyes off the lobby. Before moving, she took another look at Jeremy. As his eyes settled on her a shadow momentarily darkened his face.

Annalise hesitated. He is definitely not alone. “I don’t trust you. At all.”

Sprinting to the door, Annalise scrambled over the cheap government carpeting, gasping for air. For life. The slight whirring began to slow. Now! Now! As she reached the front door, she slammed the emergency lock in place. Seven months in, she had no idea what it triggered or how the lock would possibly hold the door, but her racing mind flailed for any option.

Ping.

Annalise threw herself back, pulling her wilted body under what happened to be Jeremy’s cubicle. Slowly forming her body into a ball, Annalise rested her head between her knees. Her breath rattled audibly in her chest.

Gradually, the office lights dimmed. Soon the diminishingly fluorescent yellow was eclipsed by a blood red. Apparently, something had been triggered. In the lobby, heavy footfalls grew in sound and proximity. Annalise held her breath, squeezing her eyes shut, and willing her body smaller.  

Swish. The telltale sign of a badge swipe. Annalise’s eyes flashed open. A booming voice thundered through the office. She nearly screamed as she covered her ears.

“EMERGENCY PROTOCOL IN PLACE. JEREMY FULLER. ACCESS DENIED.”

The recording stopped. Silence. And then the sounds of tumbled feet.

“No! NO! She is in there. Give me a second.” Jeremy voice filled the office. “ANNALISE! God damn it. Let them in.”

Ping.

“Nooo! Anna…” Two loud cracks screamed in the office. Silence.

After what seemed to be an eternity, Annalise stretched forward and slowly began to crawl on her hands and knees creeping stealthy to the edge of Jeremy’s cubicle. The lobby flashed dark shades of red. An evil glow emanated throughout the space. No people. The elevator doors shut. Remaining on her hands and knees, she inched down the office corridor back towards her desk. The office had no phone system and neither of her cell phones would work down here. All she had was her computer. As she crawled in the sea of red light, the cool blue glow of her screen beckoned her forward.

As she approached, Annalise slowly craned her neck around the edge of her cubicle, letting only her eyes peer over. She stiffened as gooseflesh ravaged her sink. Jeremy was no longer on the screen, but in his place a solitary obscured figure cloaked under a black ski mask stood staring straight ahead. Staring straight at her. The figure’s hands were clasped in front. Waiting. Waiting for her. The figure’s head slightly titled to the right. They briefly locked eyes. And paused. The computer flickered blank.

CONFERENCE CALL ENDED. PLEASE RATE THE QUALITY OF YOUR CALL.

Annalise pulled back from the cubicle and slowly sank to the floor and laid prostrate on the carpet.

She would wait for several minutes before she next moved. Her body remained tense draining all of her energy. But, today was not over. 

March 18, 2023 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.