ADVENTURE'S WITH A VAGABOND

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in a small town.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

ADVENTURE’S WITH A VAGABOND

As a baby I never had what people call a family of sorts. I always moved around from one foster home to another. That’s how you adapt to not feeling attached to certain places or people. My foster parents always took me in soley for the money and never cared about me. But here’s the thing I was always a tough hearted little kid so that had no affect on me whatsoever. I took whatever punishments for things their pesky children did and not me just because they hated me. I never did anything to them but they said I had an aura around me that wasn’t very likeable. When I first heard that did it hurt me a little? Well of course it did my heart isn’t made out of stone. Who do you think I am? I still have feelings it’s just I’m better at hiding it efficiently. My foster homes bounced around from places to places but wherever I went so did my pet dog Mila go too. Most foster parents didn’t care for her but would always tell me that I better take care of her and get her some of her own food. Although some of them were kind enough to buy some for her. I always appreciated the “nice” ones because even though they only gave me shelter because of the money they never were the severe ones and would actually treat me okay. For me to say that means a lot because I have had my fair share of non-caring and ruthless foster parents. I never really even stayed at my so called “amazing” home because I was always working from the age of 14 and up. Eh I should probably introduce myself right now I’ve pushed the inevitable. Well my name is Adelaide Black, I am 17 years old and soon I’ll be 18 and out of this system. I’ve always waited for that certain day to come ever since I was a little girl who slept on the streets whenever her foster parents kicked her out and was waiting for another home. Majority of the time destruction always followed me that was my only friend in life. The main reason I bounced from one house to another was because I would somehow always ended up destroying stuff. Most people didn’t find that fitting their likings. I could never really understand where that came from but it was part of me so I learned to love it. I always went to school and stayed on top if my grades which caused people to be jealous of me because who would expect the foster girl with no family and friends to be at the top of the class. Well I think I’ve been talking too much right now, let's go back to the real world. 

My birthday is only a week and a half away I honestly can’t wait for it, it’s time to get out of this hellhole. I’m on my way to school the area where I constantly get in trouble for being considered a “outsider” since all the kids there aren’t from a foster home. School started a couple months back but the semester was about to end so everyone was focusing on the exams. I usually aced all my exams with ease and never had competition because not to brag but I am what you consider a genius. But anywho back to reality I got up on my motorcycle and turned it on while my engine roared to life. When I got to school I went straight to class but noticed that everyone was acting jiffy so I asked Quinn the only person that comes close to being a friend more of an acquaintance.

“Hey why is everyone acting like this it’s not even graduation season yet?” she responded with a huge smile on your face 

“Oh you didn’t hear the news well we have a whole group of students transferring today and they’re going to be in our grade and class!” 

As soon as she said that the door opened and stepped in were 5 absolutely gorgeous humans. There was no other way to describe them they were perfect in every essence everyone stopped what they were doing to stare. I’m pretty sure I caught Emma Jackson the “most popular” girl in school drooling and once she realized what was happening swiped at it real quick. She never liked me and always took time out of my day to torment me but I could always defend myself so I found it fun to do. I know that sounded psychotic but that’s the least of my problems. I would’ve fought her a long time ago if her dad wasn’t the schools biggest funder and it came to the point where our principal Mr. Johnson knew about our beef and told me not to anger her where it comes to the point the school doesn’t have any fundings. Me being me didn’t want to ruin someone's life than it already was. Back to the gorgeous people though and for me to say that is a lot because I don’t give compliments out and am very blunt. Mr. Johnson was behind them and interrupted everyone’s appreciation of our new students who were bathing in the admiring glances with, 

“Well class these our new transfer students, I know they are coming when exams are starting but I need someone to volunteer showing them around and to help them adjust as well.”

Once he said that every girl and boy shot their hands up except me and I found it useless to even raise my hand since I’m a lazy gal plus I wasn't interested I always have better things to do with my life than to give tours out like candy. While I was waiting for that to get sorted our I busied myself with getting ahead in my work when I heard Johnson call my name. UGH why does my life have to be soo difficult can I never go by one day without any problems. I slowly rose my head and stared dead on Johnson he knows not to try me with things I don’t want to do. Yet he still decided to pick on me when literally the whole class had their hands up. You never wanted to piss me off because I cop the rudest attitude ever so I smacked my lips aggressively and replied with, 

“What Johnson could you possibly want from me when this whole classroom has its hands up please fill me in?”

He was taken aback but I certainly didn’t care the whole class, our advisory teacher Ms. Blakely gaped at me. You would think the new kids would oppose me giving them a tour but majority of them were laughing at what I said and snickering. I didn’t see what they found funny so I turned my wrath on them especially the one boy out of all of them that drew mostly towards me who was gazing at me with a sparkle in his eyes. 

“And what are you looking at huh I know I’m hot but FYI I’m not into you so get lost!”

“Ms. Black that’s it I’ve had enough of your animosity towards me and our new students that is no way to act come see me in my office, NOW”

I really pushed it this time but I don’t know what overcame me to act like this. Everything that came out of my mouth were true but I usually kept that type of aggression inside. I followed him out of class when the murmuring started when I passed any kid in my class. I am pretty sure this will be the talk of school later today when class ends. As soon as I walked out of the class I noticed that the new kids were still walking with me and Johnson. My life is absolutely amazing. When I walk into his office he starts with, 

“Ms. Blake I don’t know what overcame you in there but I know you are a good student so I’ll let you slide with a detention so it doesn’t look like I’m favoring. On top of that you are going to give these students a proper tour of our school and will not complain at all. This is not up for discussion you will do as I say and once I finish talking I expect you to be out of here. I don’t want to hear a word, alright. Well have a nice rest of the day Adelaide.”

I stormed out of his office and walked right up to our transfer students whose names I still don’t know yet. They were 3 insanely handsome boys and 2 drop dead gorgeous girls. They looked up at me with some amusement still lingering in their eyes. I wanted to finish this as quickly as I could and told them, 

“Come on, I don’t have all of today to give you a tour hopefully you all have your schedule already.” I looked back at them and said, “Well, do you?”

The one from before spoke up and said, “Why of course we do we got them before we got stuck with your lovely self as our tour guide.”

I chuckled which startled him because I think he expected me to take offense but little did he know I enjoyed arguing with someone. The rest of them watched me with peak interest.

“Well I appreciate your sarcasm dude highlight of my morning. Why don’t we get this started off right I guess I have to tell you my name but I’m Adelaide but I go by Della. Don’t expect me to shake your hands or anything like that.”

“Well my name is Gabe and these are my siblings Josh and Anna, while these two are our close family friends Andrew and Bella, we transferred here from Arizona. We wanted to try living in a small town for once so we moved down here for an adventure of sorts and one more thing I’d like to date you.”

His statement shook me I didn’t think I heard him correctly but from the way he was looking at me I could he was absolutely serious. So I responded with the appropriate answer,

“Are you kidding me I don’t have time for this let’s go.”

I gave them the quickest tour known to history and found myself once school ended at detention. I now knew that Gabe’s It was the longest 1 hour of my life luckily the bookstore I worked at gave me a shift at 5 p.m. so I was set to definitely enjoy work today. As I hopped on my motorcycle I had a smile on my face because I loved my job. I worked at the local bookstore and had shipments of books coming in every week. My face instantly soured when I saw who was there it was Gabe sitting in the chairs we laid out for readers like him. I got a peek at the book he was reading and it was my all time favorite by Sarah J Maas. He spotted me before I could sign in and walked over to me. He chatted with me for a little and then brought up that little adventure again. I became curious because I knew this little town from top to bottom and that our town didn’t have anything special in it. 

“You do know that our town doesn’t have anything special or adventure worthy in it?”

“Tuh tuh tuh that’s where you’re wrong though this town is rather remarkable I believe there is a secret tunnel that leads to a rather large amount of treasure. We came here for some excitement, and excitement is what I’ll get one way or another. I really think this is real and don’t doubt it one chance. I would really like it if you would consider going on this adventure with me unless you’re scared. Are you Della?”

“When you say it like that you make me want to prove you wrong Gabe so count me in maybe you’ll get a lil relationship out of it.”

With that I walked away from and only looked back to see his face gaping at me with awe. I really liked him and didn’t know why but with this adventure maybe I’ll get this damn answer that keeps on bothering.

TO BE CONTINUED….



September 28, 2019 02:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.