2 comments

Friendship High School Romance

I had finally worked up the courage to ask her. This was my chance to ask her to the dance tomorrow night. Of course, we'd have to assume she hasn't been asked yet; and considering she is the prettiest and most popular girl in school, i highly doubt it. she was right in front of me as she walked home from school. I wasn't following her; rather, we've lived across the street from each other for the past six years. I've always liked her, and today was finally a great chance to show her my feelings. I ran up beside her and was about to open my mouth to ask her when she asked, "Can I help you?" I realized if i didn't ask now I would never be able to bring myself to again. "Well actually Hayley, would you consider going to the Candy Hearts valentines day dance with me tomorrow?" She looked at me with a confused look on her face. "Umm, I'd rather go with someone I know rather than someone I just met. Sorry." What? Someone she knew? I knew her better than everyone, except her parents. "But I do know you. I've known you since we were eight." This was upsetting. Was she doing this as a prank or was this just what the fame of school was doing to her. "No I don't think I know you, sorry." We had reached our neighborhood and she began to turn left to the direction of her house. "Wait Hayley, what game do you think you're playing? I've known you forever. This hurts man." She stopped walking and turned to face me. "I'm really sorry but I'm not playing any game. I truly don't know you." As she noticed my disappointed and confused face she added, " You live there right?" beckoning toward my neighbor's house. "No I live in the house to the right of that one," I said correcting her. She replied, "I already have a date for the dance but if you want we could walk to school day after tomorrow." Why?" I asked. "Because you seem like a nice guy and if you say that you know me then i believe you. Also, there is a picture of me and a boy in primary school who I think might be you, in my room at home. I didn't know who it was but I really think that its you now that I think about it." A smile came to my face " So day after tomorrow then?" " I'll come and knock on your door" she replied with a grin, dimples and all, as she entered her house. Later that night my parents got a phone call from Hayley's parents. It turned out that on her way back from school a few weeks ago, the week my parents and I were out at my grandparents cottage, she'd had a nasty spill on her bike. The outward damage wasn't great; but, she suffered from amnesia. I exhaled deeply as my parents told me. That explained so much. "Is it temporary?" I asked. "The doctors don't know," my parents answered. I felt bad for her. Imagine hurting yourself so badly and feeling all that pain then, not remembering how it happened. I shuddered as I thought of it. Ding Dong. Two days had passed when the doorbell rang. I opened it to see Hayley standing outside. "Are you ready?" she asked. "Yup, lets go." As we started walking toward school Hayley started filling me in on what happened at the dance. I didn't end up going because I figured that I'd just be third wheeling everybody. Hayley continued gisting me "....and then scott tried to stick a strawberry up his nose and hanna..." The story went on and on. Kind of made me wish I had gone. When we got to school, Hayley's friends came to meet us. "Hey Hay, whats up?," said one of them. Her name was Kylie if i can remember correctly. "Oh...hey you," she said, beckoning toward me. "Hey Kylie." I had also known kylie forever because she and Hayley had been friends since literally birth. Their moms were highschool besties. "Ky, did you know about Hayley's amnesia?" I asked her as I pulled her back. "Yeah, I did. Apparently, I just met her last week or so." "That's sad. I just met her two days ago," I said with an awkward shuffle. "It really stinks that all the memories we've had together are nonexistent to her. Really puts things into perspective." "Hurry up slowpokes," Hayley said as she slowed her pace. "Sorry. We're coming." I said as we ran up so we were walking in-line with Hayley. "CHILDREN!" A loud voice boomed behind us; our vice principal ran up to us from our rear. "Hello, Mr. Fare," Kylie called. No matter what his name suggested, Mr. Fare was not a fair superior at all. "You children are late." I glanced at my watch; it was 9:05am. School started at 9:00. "Sorry sir. We are not late by much though right?" I added with a little grin, hoping to lighten this tense situation. "True," said Mr.Fare, "But to ensure it doesn't happen again, I'm giving all three of you detention after school today." "WHAT?" Exclaimed Hayley. "Now that is hardly fair sir with all due respect." "I decide what is good for the students and this is for the best. See you after school," he said with a smirk and skipped off happily to school. Sometimes, I think he actually gets pleasure from torturing us children. "Well," Hayley started, "That was a lovely encounter. Sometimes I just-" Suddenly she slipped, hitting her head sharply against my shoulder. "ow-" She exclaimed. "My head..." she started as she fell to the ground. "HAYLEY!!" Kylie and i screamed in terror. "Hayley? Hayley! Hayley, you have to wake up!" I was practically screaming in her ear. "Come on girl. You have to wake up." It was Kylie's turn to be screaming. I got up and called 911. We didn't end up going to school today. Hayley was rushed to the hospital to be looked at. She had been out for a couple hours. Kylie was crying. Hayley's parents had gone out to get some food. I was sitting by Hayley's bed. Considering her recent state, the doctors were really concerned. Would things ever be the same? Would she ever be ok? Would I ever get the chance to tell her I like her? "Tristan?" The voice came from the bed. I looked over to see Hayley sitting up in her bed. I smiled. I hadn't told her my name since before the accident. If she still had amnesia she wouldn't know my name. "Hey Hayley." I had a feeling everything would be fine.

February 19, 2021 18:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Danny -
02:08 Mar 03, 2021

ohhhh yass, new thread then? :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danny -
13:29 Feb 27, 2021

Ahhh Maryanne, congrats on posting your first story! It was a really enjoyable read, great dialogue and plot..and all that jazz XD I'm pretty confused though, I'm reading this from a phone soo I might be wrong, uhh was this story written and fit into one paragraph? Also the font is big aandddd...well, I'm reading this from a phone soo hehhehe, it's oddly convenient XD Ohh but really, great story, I love how Hayley's so nice despite not remembering Tristan...also the ending! Ughhh best part, it's so simple and sooo happy and eek...I'm in l...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.