The Adventures of Tessa & Brandy

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The Adventures of Tessa & Brandy




The first day I moved into apartment 5b was the worst and best day of my life. Lounged 

on the couch lay a woman. 

She was tall with brown and silver hair falling to her hips. The woman wore a tight black dress going with her black eyeshadow. Her brown eyes and ruby red lips completed the look. An empty wine glass lay on a wooden table to the right of the couch. “More wine Mrs. Johnson,” she said tapping the glass with ruby red fingernails.

“I’m not your maid I’m your roommate!” ‘she said. Well, what’s your name Princess? “My name is Tessa. Oh well, can you get me more anyway?” I said. Tessa was petite in

stature and had long blonde hair. She had rosy red cheeks, green eyes, along with a crystal-pearl necklace. “I’ll get the wine,” Tessa said. The woman flipped her head around. “Grab two while you’re at it dear” she screeched. Tessa’s eyebrow raised in disgust. She hadn’t seen a woman so drunk her entire life. “Two? You’re drunk enough as it is” she said. “My name’s Brandy and I’ve got two hands and a bit of a drinking problem. If you’re going to live here, deal with it.” she slurred in disgust. The maid strolled in

with tea. “No Brandy you’ve had enough. I’m cutting you off,” she declared. The maid wore a purple gown and crystal earrings. Mrs. Johnson’s (the maid’s) earrings matched the color of her hair perfectly. “That’s preposterous, I’ve only had four,” she argued counting her fingers. Mrs. Johnson strutted to Brandy.

“I’ve got something that will brighten your day,” she said. She placed her hand on her cheek in disgust. Disappointment is all that could describe my mood. Why would I move here? “There’s been a murder and the police want you on the job.” Mrs. Johnson exclaimed with a smile. Brandy leaped out of the couch opened the red velvet curtains and hugged me. “We’d better get going,” she

said. “Why is she so excited about a murder, it’s morbid” I exclaimed. Mrs. Johnson softly laid her hand on my shoulder.

“She’s a detective dear. It’s what she likes.” Brandy turned and stared into my eyes. “Come on, this place is so boring, don’t ye want to feel the blood rush through your veins.” Said Brandy. I had to admit my life was boring. Seconds later I came upon my decision. “This better be good!” We jolted past our neighbors and down three flights of stairs. “Taxi, Taxi,” she said. The rays of the sun-scorched my back. It was a splendid summer. “Finally,” she said, flinging her arms. A yellow taxi coasted to a stop. “Twenty-first street,” she said. We plumped into the black leather chairs. Brandy swiveled her head to the right, “Give the man his money” The taxi driver wore a black and yellow checkered hat along with a brown button-up jacket. His pants were pitch-black. “You can wait until we’re there,” he said. He had a strong New Jersey accent and New Jersey origin. Twenty minutes of silence passed as they reached their stop. “I’ll have my money now,” he said. I glanced at Brandy, for neither of us had money. The taxi driver gestured his hand, demanding his money. “Sorry” I shouted. Brandy grasped my arm and opened the taxi door. Her grip was tight. The taxi driver grinned in derision. Brandy ran for it, flinging me to the concrete just outside the car. My hands slammed the pavement, leaving scars on my palms. Worry ran through my body. “What if he chases after us and we go to jail?” I thought. Brandy yelled, “Come on!” She gestured her hand, implying her philosophy. If You're too slow, you get left behind. A narrow path was in sight. It tunneled to the left and smothered in mud. “Ew,” I screeched. Brandy gazed behind her shoulder at me as if she was my elder. She wasn’t my elder just more experienced. “We’re nearly there,” she said stuttering her feet. “Ah, this is it.” Brandy snatched a board underneath her. It was smothered in mud and rotted. “Gross” I mumbled. “Don’t be such a girl Tessa. It’s just wood.” I was offended for a moment. “I am a girl!” I said. Brandy turned and gazed down. “Sure are!” An enormous hole appear underneath. To the left covered in mud lay a metal flashlight. “See this Tessa. It’s a secret organization for top detectives,” she said. 

The metal flashlight was extremely powerful, illuminating cavern, causing bats to scatter and fly out as they entered in. “Ew!” Brandy laughed at my trauma, "your such girl," she reiterated.

They came upon a metal hatch like one on a ship. It was big and round, with a wheel in the center.

“Don’t just stand there Tessa! Make yourself useful and open the hatch. We aren’t getting any younger.”

Tessa swung the wheel and the latches around the hatch called “dogs” loosened and the hatch opened. Brandy touched Tessa on the ear and she jumped and screamed, thinking it was a bat.

“HA!”.

Inside the door, the primitive dark rocky cave was transformed into what looked like the highest technology control room in the world. The walls were covered with monitors with floors as white as snow. Detectives ambled about collecting case after case. 

“Hello, old friend” Brandy said to an old man. He was in a wheelchair and looked old and odd. Machines pumped in and out of him. He wore a shamrock green suit, black pants, and a white button-up. His eyes as dark as night. The man had an old fashioned mechanical eye. Creep was the only word that came to mind.

“Who is the fossil?” I said.

“That is our leader,” said Brandy. “At one time he was the greatest detective in the entire world.” She said pointing to an image on the wall. “He goes by “The Professor .” Brandy said

“No offense. I mean Brandy, you’re a fine girl but why would anyone join an organization like this." Brandy interrupted Tessa.

“Why would the greatest detective in the world care about me?”

“Something like that,” I said.

“If you she-hens would stop clucking for just a moment. In my day women would wait to be spoken to and show some respect.” The professor said this nearly tumbling to the floor.

I began mumbling, Brandy gave me a dirty look. The professor took a long pause for effect.

“Jeff Jacob, World NASCAR Champion was found dead at the bottom a ravine, an apparent suicide.” The monitors sprang to life showing photos from the crime scene, and various police reports, with a different report filling each of the twelve monitors that filled the far wall.”

“It is an apparent suicide because the car had no mechanical faults, and he went off the cliff at two-hundred miles an hour, with no effort to stop. Footage of the driver from the camera installed from the last NASCAR race captured these images right before his death.” Jeff smirked as if he was up to something.

“ I hate to admit I am stumped,” said the Professor. “Brandy, what do you think?”

Brandy glanced at photos of Jeff just before his demise” 

Jeff was tall with brown hair and blue eyes. The first photo was Jeff leaning his head against his steering wheel as it fell down the cliff. His car was checkered red and yellow with the number zero painted on each door. Blood dripped from his brow to his shoulder. A pistol lay by his shoes. Blood drenched the pistol. The second was him before driving. “His uniform was quite bulky. I don’t think that’s weight professor.” I said. The third was a picture of his car on fire. Unfortunately, Jeff was inside. “I hate to dismiss your theories but this is an obvious suicide,” I said. Brandy turned to me as if I was stealing her spotlight. “Explain,” the professor said in a groggy voice. I took a deep breath ready to wow the old man. “First of all he was alone, clearly he wanted no one nearby,” I said. Everyone was silent allowing me to continue except the professor. “What if the killer simply left after he murdered?” I stuttered for a moment. Brandy was in deep thought. “Ah clever but as you can see from the photo there is a gun in between his legs. If you look closely at the pistol you’ll see blood. Jeff Jacob’s blood which was fresh at the time. His life of fame brought him to this. Professor this wasn’t a murder.” I said ecstatically. Everyone paused wowed by my observation. “It was suicide!” I yelled. The professor’s jaw dropped. “Brandy may have been wrong about you. Your, not a total disappointment.” The professor said. He rolled to her. “I appoint you co-detective.” He said softly. “Oh and Brandy since your going to have a sidekick your demoted to co-detective as well. Not to mention you’re drinking problem.” The professor said strolling away. I kept my chin up finally having something to be proud of. “Wait!” Brandy said running after the professor. It turns out wheelchairs are a lot faster than you think. Brandy never did get her job as head detective back. As for me: I felt at the top of the world.

 

June 06, 2020 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.