2 comments

Christmas Friendship Happy

"How I am going to do this?" 4 friends had just called to say that they could no longer come to the Christmas party that took so long to prepare. The 2-meter high pine tree was nicely decorated with crystal baubles and silver stars, and at the top lay the pure white angel. Underneath it, an array of gifts of different sizes waiting to be opened. In the kitchen, you could smell the turkey that was cooking in the oven. With just under 1 hour to go before her guests would appear Jennifer was not going to be able to change the beautifully laid-out table for the 8 friends she had invited. While Melissa was walking their dog with her dad, Jennifer had 60 minutes of uninterruped time to think of a plan. As she opened the front window of their modern bungalow overlooking Kirribilli Point, she remembered a post placed on Facebook that very morning. "'Urgent. Family of 3 new to Sydney looking for a place to stay for a week until the current tenants finish their lease. Our daughter is 5 months old. No pet. No smoking. 0412307805. Thank you."' Jennifer suddenly recalled that fateful morning that changed her life forever. At the age of 12 she had seen her parents pack their belongings and close the door of what was once a happy home after a cyclone had hit the city badly. Uninjured yet homeless they had ha to move to a shelter immediately to seek refuge for the night. Jennifer closed her eyes. She could see it all as if it had been yesterday. 1996. 2 days before Christmas. The colunteers at the shelter had been so warm and friendly to her, and yet she just realised that she had never done anything to thank her stars 25 years ago. Now married with Chris, a loving and caring dad to their only child Melissa, Jennifer had put this traumatic event behind her and counted her blessings. As she opened her eyes everything was suddenly clear. She knew what she had to do. She ran towards the living room, unplugged her phone on charge, and dialled the number... After 3 rings, a quiet voice picked up and offered a tentative "hello?" Jennifer mentioned the ad on Facebook and asked where they were currently staying. "I think I can help you. If you are not too far, I could come and pick you up, and show you a place to stay for a week" Jennifer said eagerly. Silence. A few seconds passed before the person on the other line responded. "Hi. My name is David. We are currently living in our minibus on a car park near the Opera House. When could we meet?" "Now!" Was Jennifer's response. "Are you free now?" David's smile could be heard in his voice. "Now would be wonderful. Thank you. Where should we meet you?" Jennifer gave him her home address and asked that his wife and their 5-month old daughter be there, too. After hanging up, Jennifer felt elated. She was beaming with happiness when Chris and Melissa returned from their walk with Archie a minute later. She told them that she had special guests coming shortly and that both of them were to be on their best behaviour. Chris and Melissa looked at each other puzzled and shrugged their shoulders. Another one of mum's crazy ideas. The bell rang 20 minutes later. Jennifer opened the door nervously. "Hi again. I am David. We talked over the phone. This is my wife, Anita, and our daughter Emily." Tears of joy ran down Jennifer's cheeks. Startled by her reaction, David felt ashamed of his appearance and made is way back to their vehicule. "Wait!" Jennifer shouted. "Please come in. I have been so worried about you." They came in and saw a girl and a man standing in the hall watching them. "This is my family, Chris and Melissa. Our dog is resting in the garden. They have just come back from their morning walk. Please come and sit down." David took his 5-month old on his lap and hugged his nervous wife. "I have prepared a Christmas meal that is just about ready to be served. Is it ok if we eat and get to know you better before we show you the house? Melissa and Chris will take care of the food. What would you like to drink?" 15 minutes later, conversations were flowing around the table. Jennifer clarified to Chris that they were looking for a place to stay for a week and that her parents had been in a similar situation themselves and that is why she had called their number. Melissa usually quiet couldn't get her eyes off their daughter. The toddler smiled in return each time Melissa looked at her, which made everyone laugh. As the Christmas meal was coming to an end, Melissa asked if she could open her presents. She had been very patient. Her parents agreed. Melissa jumped off her seat and ran towards the Christmas tree to find the gifts that bore her name. She opened her presents if front of the adults who were taken by her innocence. Jennifer stood up and hugged her daughter who was delighted with her new phone, sweatshirt and necklace. She turned to Chris and gave him his present. She then picked up 3 of the 4 remaining presents that she had wrapped up the day before for her 4 missing friends and gave 1 to David and 2 to Anita. "There is 1 for you and one for Emily. Our friends couldn't make it today and I want you to have them." The surprised guests thanked Jennifer and opened their presents: a crisp shirt, a limited edition box of Belgian chocolates and a set of wooden blocks. They were overjoyed and couldn't thank Jennifer enough. Jennifer excused herself to get dessert. David followed her to help with the coffee. In the kitchen, while David and Anita were watching Melissa and Emily play together, David looked at Jennifer, kissed her on her forehead, looked her in the eye and nodded. Everyone returned to the table to enjoy a piece of homemade pavlova and some fine shortbread biscuits. Then silence. Akward silence. Jennifer knew what she had to do. She stood up and offered a tour of their house, explaining that they had a granny flat attached to their house that was not used at the moment. After the visit, David and Anita took time to consert each other. "We would be delighted to stay here for a few days, if that is ok with you, of course" said Anita. This is how every year, for the last 15 years, the 2 families celebrate Christmas together and reminisce over their very first Christmas as total strangers.

December 26, 2020 01:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sarah Linseed
02:10 Jan 07, 2021

Hey Nathalie! Great story. I loved the amount of details you included, especially in terms of numbers and dates. The story was sweet and lighthearted, and the use of dialogue improved your writing a lot. A couple tactics for the future I'd recommend are more sensory descriptions and the use of paragraphs. I believe that implementing these things would help improve the flow of your story and immerse the reader into the moment. While not too noticeable, I also noticed a few spelling and grammatical errors throughout your story. I always find i...

Reply

Nathalie Grant
21:15 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you very much for the feedback!☺ I really appreciate the time that you took to read it.🙏 Nathalie

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.