1 comment

General

                                                   *****

Anu is getting ready to meet her friends. Before leaving her room, she comes back and checks again in the mirror. She smiles at the mirror, since everything is looking perfect.

She walks into the kitchen and sees her sister having breakfast.

Her mom from the kitchen shouts: “Have breakfast and go”.

Meanwhile Anu whispers to her sister “What is good today in breakfast”?

Her sister puts a disappointing face, Anu noticing that replies to her mom, that she doesn’t need breakfast.

And she leaves the house quietly taking her bike.

Her mother comes out of the kitchen and searches for her ... she doesn’t find her and asks the anu sister. Anu’s sister shows with hand, that she has already left the house.

Anu reaches the barista café and her friends are already waiting for her.

When Anu gets inside the café, she gets so excited as she is meeting them after long time after the college.

Anu and her friends are from the same undergraduate college.

They started celebrating this special moment, taking selfies and posting it in Instagram stories, whatsapp status, facebook posts.

Infact they clicked photos as many as it is enough for them to post for another 10 years as their Instagram posts.

When the ordered food gets on the plate, the actual discussion has started about their admissions of MBA.

Everyone is clear about their colleges but Anu is not clear about it.

Anu after listening to all her friend’s discussion, she picks a college which is liked by most of their friends.

                                                                   ****  

She joined MBA college; all the things are going fine. She is enjoying her time in the college.

After first few days in college, she went to library to get the books suggested by the professors. She was searching for books, but she couldn’t get the right books.

Just opposite to her, Arjun is sitting on the table and reading the books.

There is no one in that floor of the library. After few minutes, Arjun observes anu struggling to search the books. Arjun asks Anu, whether she need any help.

Anu says “Yes, I am actually searching for Statistics Books”.

Arjun asks Anu which one she wants as there are two authors.

Anu says that I need book by David S Rubin and Levin. But Arjun Says there is another book which is much better than this book.

Anu for a moment goes in doubt, and after few seconds she says, “no no I want the book by David S Rubin and Levin only, as most of my friends said it is good”.

Arjun smiles at her and he gets that book from bookshelves for her.

Anu feels happy and she says thanks and leaves the place. While she is leaving , Arjun says “I am Arjun and you ??”

Anu again goes for a moment in doubt and after few seconds, she says “I need to leave” and leaves the place in hurry.

While Anu is leaving, Arjun blushes, as he has already fell in love with Anu.

The next day when Arjun sees Anu in the college and waves his hand at her.

Anu ignores and acts as if she doesn’t know Arjun.

                                            *****

Ramya was coming to college on her bike. Suddenly, the bike stopped as if someone has pulled the bike from the back. She doesn’t understand it and gets down from the vehicle and keeps checking the front tyre, back tyre and starts again. Unlucky her, the bike won’t start again. When she was searching for someone to help her, she sees a guy with white helmet on royal Enfield coming. Ramya asks for his help by hand gesture. The royal Enfield stops Infront of her and the guy removes his helmet. It is Arjun. He gets down and help her.

But still the bike doesn’t start. He calls the local mechanic whom he known for many years to come and collect the bike and get it repaired. Meanwhile, Arjun enquires Ramya about where she is heading.

She says she going to college and she is doing her MBA in loyal college. It surprises as Arjun is studying in the same college and he says “I am in the same college, which year ?”

Ramya gets surprised for a moment and says “1st Year”

Arjun “Mee too,which section ??”

Ramya “from Section B”

Arjun “oh. I am from section A; else I would have recognised you”.

Ramya smiles at him.

The local mechanic comes and collects the bike after few minutes.

Arjun tells her that mechanic is well known person to him, he will call him after the bike gets repaired and he can drop her, as he is also going to college.

Ramya agrees to Arjun, they drive on the same bike and reaches the college.

After the evening classes, Ramya is waiting at Section A, waiting for Arjun.

Along with Ramya, Anu is also waiting, as Anu is Ramya’s friend.

Arjun comes out of his class, Ramya waves her hand.

Arjun”He called me but I didn’t lift the phone in the class, I think the bike is ready.

          Let me check once.”

Arjun dailed to local mechanic, and while speaking to him, he sees ramya and notices Anu standing next to Ramya.

Mechanic “Hello…Anna(Brother in English)”

Arjun is in shock seeing Anu with Ramya.. he doesn’t answer the mechanic.

Mechanic “helloo.. hellooo “

Arjun “Hello.. is the bike ready..?”

Mechanic “ Yes bro, u can come and collect the bike”.

Arjun cuts the call and replies to Ramya that bike is ready.

Ramya thanks him for his help, meanwhile Arjun keeps looking at Anu.

Then Ramya understands that she didn’t introduce Anu.

Ramya “She is my friend , Anu”

Arjun “Anu..”

Arjun gives his hand for shake hand to Anu and says “I am Arjun”

Anu in doubt see ramya’s face and ramya gives a smile.

Anu also gives shake hand and says “ I am Anu” and smiles.

                                                    ******

After few days, Both Anu and Arjun like each other and they fall in love.

Arjun was also liked by Anu’s friends. That’s main reason why Anu got trust on Arjun.

But they didn’t propose yet. Anu decides to propose to Arjun first as she got an offer from USA , she wants to make an important decision before she leaves india.

Anu calls Arjun to a café one morning. Anu is waiting in the café lawn.

Meanwhile Anu meets her school friend and they greet each other. When her schoolfriend whom she is waiting for. Anu blushes, then her schoolfriend gets the point that she is waiting for her boyfriend. Out of Curiosity, her friend asks her to show his boyfriend.

Meanwhile, Arjun arrives at the café entrance, and waves hand to her.

Anu’s friend notices him and gets stunned. She gets some flashes of her past.

Arjun signals to Anu, that he will park the bike in the basement and come up.

Meanwhile Anu friend tells her that Arjun is Psycho and he had past love with one of her close friends, who suffered a lot. Listening to this, Anu’s heart is broken and her tears has started. When Arjun is back, Anu tells her that she got a job and she is flying to USA in few days. Arjun is stunned when gets this news as he was about to propose Anu today.

With this effect, without any further delay, Anu takes her job and leaves India and Arjun.

                                                ****

4 years later

Anu gets busy in her new life. Since Anu is hardworking, she has achieved good successful career growth. Upon her parent’s force, Anu agrees to marry a guy. Everything is fixed and Anu’s marriage is happening in India, but the guy is working in USA only.

Felt everything is happening write in her world. But during that time, A new manager ‘Swapna’ joins Anu company, who is also peer to Anu.

Few days later Swapna and Anu becomes close friends. While only few days for Anu’s marriage and day before she is going to India. Anu informs Swapna about her marriage.

Swapna Smiles at her, and tells her past, as she gets remined of her past.

She had boyfriend, he is so loving and caring, she would wish to marry him. It was all her mistake in their relationship, where she doesn’t value arjun needs/amibitions and she was selfish. It was she , who tortured him a lot in their relationship. Due to this , the relationship ended very badly But unfortunately, now things have changed in her world. But she is married to dumb person now. Knowing all these, Anu feel empathy about Swapna and asks her if she has a photo of her ex-boyfriend.

Anu sees and get shocked and she discovers that she has committed big mistake.

She has to correct it now, else in another few days , everything will change for her.

She leaves immediately to India asking god for her second chance.

Then immediately she tries to call him.

Contact him via phone and friends

Not reachable, she learns that he joined a multinational company in Mumbai.

She goes to multinational company in Mumbai and enquires about him.

Luckily, there is a friend of his, he tells that he resigned long back and told me that he will go for preparations for govt exams, which college – Hyderabad.

She goes to institute and enquires about him, then she doesn’t get any news about him.

But the institute watchman gives his number, as he has given his number in order to ask any financial help for his children education.

She comes to know he is in Sikkim, working under Indian tourism.

She goes to Sikkim and takes a cab through the tunnels and hairpin turns, and finally she reaches the destination and meets him.

August 15, 2020 03:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

A.Dot Ram
01:44 Aug 24, 2020

Hi. I'm your critique circle partner. I see you have a nice story about a woman who did not trust her own heart. You showed it through many instances like her MBA school (relying on her friends' opinions to choose), in choosing a book, in trusting Arjun, and then leaving him. Finally she comes to a moment of discovery-- her own feelings--and she pursues them with lots of determination. That is the big growth in the story. I think there's an opportunity to focus more tightly on this arc, climaxing in Anu's moment of discovery. I would also l...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.