0 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction Drama


“Shit!” Alex exclaimed narrowly avoiding a wave of gutter fluids inspired by the distracted taxi driver and their obnoxious yellow cab. Spending nearly three hours carefully choosing the right shirt(old faithful light blue Hawaiian button-up with pink flamingos and palm trees mingling in a fashion that said, Hey I’m fun—but thoughtful enough to choose a collar); tucked into a pair of well fitted gray pants (another favorite being comfortable and yet versatile); finished off with classic red Chuck Taylors (high-tops of course). All the thought, time, and changes almost thwarted in a single unfortunate incident of right place, wrong time.

After a quick inspection to confirm all crisis had been averted, followed by a hair check in the barbershop window (receiving a thumbs up from the old barber with the caterpillar mustache that wriggled into a smile), Alex was once again in route to meet this blind date orchestrated by Jordan (best friend and voted class clown, five years ago when they were seniors). There was nothing funny about it now. Blind dates seemed desperate and only ever worked in movies or sitcoms—considering that was the only time Alex could remember even hearing of them. But an empty stomach had outweighed the apprehension and the dislike of dining alone, coerced an agreement of an impromptu date.

“Look, Parker and I were supposed to go see that new rom-com, but Logan just called and needs me to go over those menus tonight, because the Millstone Party was pushed ahead—and to be honest I haven’t even looked at them.” Jordan had explained only a couple hours prior, between bites and slurps of ramen noodles.

Their apartment was not anything grand, but it was theirs and filled with video game paraphernalia and anime wall scrolls. Jordan sat on the one functional piece of furniture; a vintage floral sleeper sectional rescued from an elderly resident’s apartment upon retirement to Florida. Everything else was crates for end tables and console units, a bookshelf crammed with every book they owned, and a folding card table sat off where the dining should take place, but instead held miscellaneous books, mail, discarded shirts, and a consistent collection of dirty mugs and plates.

“That sucks and all, but why can’t you reschedule?”

 “Because I really think you and Jordan could hit it off.”

“I am not looking to hit off or on anyone. Do you not remember the last time, you thought someone, and I would, ‘hit it off?’”

“That was different. You were under stress from your exams and you just needed to relax.” Jordan insisted, speaking side mouthed through a throng of noodles. With a determined suckle the noodles snaked their way to the desired cavity, clearing the way for the next point to be made. “Carey was fun—just not ultimately for you.”

 “Oh, and this Parker may be?” A shrug was the only response given. “What does this Parker look like?”

“Not ugly by any means.”

“Not attractive by any standards, you mean?”

“I didn’t say that! Now, I don’t want you to go if your just gonna be a fun sponge. Parker is sweet and can be real funny. I wouldn’t try to send you out with someone I didn’t think you could find attractive.” Jordan insisted absently stirring the bowl of ramen and considering Alex’s mannerism carefully.

 “A rom-com?”

 “Supposed to be good. Everyone at work has been talking about it.” Satisfied with the piqued interest, another swath of noodles was captured between chopsticks and delivered to the awaiting mouth.

 “Do I have to dress up?” Alex ventured. Growls were already issuing in protest and there was that decent cafe near the theater. Hopefully, this Parker would have no objections to a small bite first. After a few debates, a little more information extracted, and a couple hours of nervous pacing—Alex was soon walking towards the theater, eight blocks from their humble abode.




This is nuts. At least that is what Parker thought waiting patiently near the theater, leaning casually against the worn brick wall. Habitually early, Parker arrived with more than enough time to spare. Why did I let Jordan convince me this was a good idea.

Desperate.

That is what you are.

Truth be told, many had offered to supply dinner or coffee on many different occasions at the office, but each time Parker had rejected them, insecurities conjuring doubts of adequacy. But Jordan had made this friend Alex appear interesting. Constantly referencing different things they had done together, swearing utmost loyalty and compatibility every day since the idea had popped into Jordan’s anxious mind, nearly a week ago. Being in the city for only a few months had left the nights a little lonely—but lonely enough to socialize with a complete stranger by suggestion of a relatively new friend?

Work at the catering service had been slow and what attributed to this matchmaking. They worked at small company called Penelope’s, a catering service for all your office and party needs. There were only like fifteen employees and everyone seemed close knitted, like a family. There were disagreements and favorites, but overall, it was a pleasant working environment. When Parker first came to work there, she was nothing but nerves. However, Jordan’s uncanny humor made it easy for her to feel at home. To say there was a little disappointment in finding Jordan was seeing someone would have been an understatement, however contentment was sown in friendship and any thought of more eventually receded.

Which left the door wide open for this endeavor that would hopefully not lead to disappointment and at the least be a distraction.

The last relationship ventured led to a whirlwind romance ending in a misunderstanding. Misunderstanding. As if one could misunderstand the sight of the person you give your heart to pinning what was supposed to be your best friend against the far wall of their dorm conducting a dirty business meeting. One week later, stuff was packed, and a one-way ticket booked to stay with a cousin until everything settled and a job secured. The latter being accomplished there seemed to be no reason to allow the heart to continue sulking over spoiled goods.

Dressed in a simple navy-blue V-neck, some jean capris, and a pair of new white boat shoes, Parker began to wonder if more thought should have gone into the outfit. Too late, now. Hopefully, Alex would appreciate the low maintenance attire and not be expecting someone haughty taughty. Nervously one hand sought the mane of dark curls and impressed upon them the need to behave for at least the first ten minutes of meeting.

The theater was quiet, despite the parade of passerby’s, discouraged by the loitering gray clouds threatening to piss all over everyone’s Cheerio’s. No matter. It was just in case, that Jordan chose the theater as the venue for this blind date. The building itself was in desperate need of attention, paint peeling and faded and the plastic displaying the posters were neglected and scratched leaving the images shrouded in a permanent fog. The idle attendant behind the glass divider, occasionally fingered the gum in their mouth and twirled it on a finger, before returning it to their mouth and then absently tapping icons on the screen before them. Parker looked away uncomfortably categorizing everything wrong with the sight.

Attention focusing across the street where a pewter stray cat slithered its way through and behind a newspaper dispenser and trash bin. Every now and then it would pause and appear to meow at no one in particular, begging for some pity or a bit of one’s dinner. Parker watched the creature stop to lick its paw, and then turned elsewhere looking for someone described as Alex.

Jordan said Alex would be wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt and had blond hair faux-hawk and sure enough down the block strode the person described with an uncertain confidence, hands stuffed into their pockets. Tentatively, Parker lifted one hand to initiate a friendly wave and establish an acknowledgment. Upon seeing the gesture, the one thought to be Alex waved enthusiastically back and quickened their pace.

Cute. Okay, Now is not the time to lose yourself in nerves, Parker thought shaking away the unsavory habit of picking at cuticles. Do not do all the talking. Listen. Oh, goodness…maybe the theater was not the best choice.

Cute. Okay, Jordan not so bad. Alex thought spying the individual as described, waving hesitantly. Tonight, might not be so bad. Okay, Alex, deep breath. You got this.

The distance between the two closed quickly and soon they were standing before each other smiling awkwardly.

“Hey.” Alex greeted.

“Hello.” Parker returned bashfully looking away.

“So, you know Jordan, eh? What a character.”

“Enough to think this up.”

“I thought it was last minute.”

Just a shrug to illustrate a sense of innocence.

“Huh.” Alex looked at the titles of the movies, scrolling in vibrant green letters next to the show times and then at the clock on the back wall of the cubicle the attendant occupied.

Parker followed Alex’s gaze and noted there was still an hour till the next showing. “Do you like Espresso? There is this great little café nearby.”

A smile that could only convey pleasant agreement curled into Alex’s lips.

“That sound perfect.”



August 28, 2020 00:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.