1 comment

African American Historical Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

This work contains mentions of slavery and violence associated with the practice.

Two men jogged into the manor house to escape the raging storm. They had ridden their horses to near exhaustion, and both the men and their mounts were looking forward to being warm and dry. 

“Ronald, I have not seen a storm like this since we were on Jamacia.”

“I can agree with that, Adam. We never had so cold a rain there either.”

Ronald Price slipped out of his soaked jacket and draped it over his arm. A butler took the jacket before Ronald was even aware that someone else was in the roomThe well-dressed man held out his hand for Adam’s jacket. Adam handed it over, and the butler gave both garments to a maid who seemed to appear out of thin air. The woman walked toward the back of the house and left the three men alone.

“Thank you very much, Paul.”

The middle-aged man bowed slightly and said, “It is my pleasure, sir. There are refreshments in the main hall, and of course, a fire has been lit.”

Paul turned his shockingly pale blue eyes to Ronald. 

“It is good to see you again, sir. I hope you will not be alone the next time I see you here.”

Ronald was so stunned by his words that Paul had vanished down another hallway by the time he had thought of a response.

He turned to his friend and asked, “Your butler knows our plans?”

Adam Fineman ran a hand through his blond hair to remove any remaining water.

“Butlers know everything that is said or done in the house. Most times, they know more than their supposed lords.”

Ronald shook his head. 

Adam gestured down the hallway.

“Let’s head to the main hall. I can see that there is a fire waiting for us.”

Ronald smiled.

“Race you there.”

He sprang into a fast jog toward the light that spilled into the hall. 

“Damn it,” Adam said as he ran to catch up.

Adam entered the room just as Ronald settled in front of the blazing hearth. Oil lamps added their modest light to that coming from the fireplace. 

They turned from front to back to dry their clothes evenly. Steam rose from their clothing as the rainwater evaporated. Adam closed his eyes as the heat from the flames washed over him. Opening them, he saw a table holding a tray of sandwiches, a decanter of liquor, and, most delightfully, a teapot with porcelain teacups and crystal glasses.  

“Remind me to give the staff a bonus this month,” Adam said as he approached. He took a sandwich and poured two cups of tea. As Ronald picked up a sandwich, Adam handed him one of the cups. The two men sat in the leather chairs near the fireplace and ate as if it were their last meal. 

Adam finished his tea and sighed contentedly. 

“I needed that more than I thought.”

Ronald swallowed the last of his sandwich and nodded his agreement.

“Brandy,” Ronald asked, picking up the decanter.

“Please.”

Ronald poured for them and watched as Adam raised his glass.

“To future endeavors.”

Ronald touched his glass to Adam’s, and they both drank.

After a short silence, Adam asked, “Are you sure you want to proceed with this?”

Ronald looked into his drink momentarily before he replied, “I don’t have a choice, Adam. I made a promise to my wife, and I mean to keep it.”

Adam shook his head.

“I don’t know if you are extremely brave or insane.”

Ronald looked up, the firelight reflecting off of his dark brown skin. 

“Perhaps a bit of both.”

Adam gave a small smile and sipped from his glass.

“Considering that this concerns your wife, you may be capable of anything.”

Ronald tried to smile back, but the effort died quickly. 

He stared into the flames and allowed his mind to drift back to a painful place.

Four years ago- New Orleans, 1853

Ronald waited nervously at the edge of a treeline. The sun was low on the horizon, casting shadows along his hiding place.

He dared to look around the tree he hid behind, hoping to see her approaching.

“Where are you,” he said softly. 

Ronald rested his head against the tree and mentally reviewed his and Sylvia’s plan. She was to meet him at the waterfront two hours before sunset. Failing that, Sylvia was supposed to come to the edge of the woods on the south side of the plantation. Ronald had already been to the docks, and Sylvia was not there. Just as Ronald was about to move further onto the property, he heard someone approaching. Ronald stepped back into the trees as quietly as he could. His hand gripped the butt of the revolver tucked into his belt. Ronald’s heart threatened to beat out of his chest as the individual got closer. 

Ronald had decided to leave his hiding place with his gun drawn when he heard a feminine voice.

“Ronald? Are you here? I don’t have much time.”

Ronald felt great relief as he recognized the dark blue dress that was their pre-arranged signal. Sylvia had come at last. He stepped out of the trees and smiled as he took her in his arms and kissed her.

“Are you ready? Come on; we need to hurry. The ship leaves in three hours. It will take us two hours to get there on horseback.”

Sylvia shook her head and took a step away from Ronald.

“I can’t leave. My mother and sisters are still here, and I can't imagine what would happen to them if I escaped and left them here.”

Ronald’s hands clenched into fists as frustration wracked him. He understood Sylvia’s situation. His own family had been sold away years ago. Ronald had been kept because he was literate and helped keep the plantation’s books in order. His master rented him out in New Orleans to various other businesses performing the same task. Ronald got paid for his work, but nearly half his earnings went to his master. 

It was this work that gave him the opportunity he now had. Ronald had nothing to lose and no one to have to worry about. 

On the other hand, Sylvia had her family to concern herself with. Should she escape, her master would make life very hard for her relatives who remained in bondage.

Ronald took a deep breath and forced himself to relax. He exhaled in a long sigh and then said, “I understand. But I don't want to leave you here. I want you with me.”

Sylvia stopped him with a finger on his lips. 

“As much as I would like to go with you, I can’t. You have a chance to escape, and you should take it. Don’t get caught because you waited for me. I would only hold you back.”

Ronald felt tears form and made no effort to stop them from falling. 

Sylvia wiped them from his face and said, “I love you and always will. But you need to let me go so you can be free. That’s the only way.”

Ronald tried to speak, but his voice caught.  He cleared his throat and tried again.

“I love you, too,” Ronald said as he knelt and reached into his pocket. 

He slipped a rough-worked iron band on the ring finger of her left hand. 

“I know we can't be married properly yet, but I consider you my wife from this moment. Will you have me, Sylvia?”

Shocked beyond words, Sylvia could only nod her head.  

Ronald rose to his feet and kissed her as he may never do so again. 

They separated, and Ronald looked at her face, memorizing every detail.

“I love you and will return for you and any others you want to bring.”

Sylvia found her voice again and replied, “I will wait for you. I don’t care how long it takes.”

Ronald tightened his grip on her arms a little.

“When I return, I will not care about whatever reasons you have to stay; I will not leave this place without you.”

Sylvia saw the conviction in his eyes and knew that he would not be swayed. She nodded.

Ronald looked at the darkening sky and sighed.

“I have to leave, but I will return for you.”

Sylvia kissed his lips lightly.

“I know. Now go before someone sees either one of us.” 

Ronald stepped away from her and began to walk deeper into the woods. He took one last look back, but Sylvia was gone. Ronald returned to the small clearing where his horse had been hidden and climbed into the saddle. He turned his mount toward the docks and left the love of his life behind him.

Adam’s voice brought Ronald back to the present. 

Ronald turned to him and asked, “What did you say, Adam? I was, distracted.”

Adam nodded.

“Sylvia is never far from your thoughts. I guess that is to be expected.”

Ronald swirled the brandy in his glass before finishing it in a single gulp. Adam refilled it before topping off his drink.

“Ronald,” Adam said after replacing the decanter. “As your friend, I must remind you of the situation you are putting yourself in.”

Ronald saluted Adam with his glass.

“I have not forgotten, but thank you for the reminder.”

Adam shook his head. 

“You are an escaped slave. In Britain, that means nothing. The most powerful nation on earth protects you. But you are in danger once you set foot on American soil.” “I am not certain that your British citizenship will count for much in the back country of Louisiana.”

Ronald was going to argue, but he stopped himself. Adam was right. Ronald knew that outside the confines of a major city, his options for assistance were limited. 

“Adam,” he began. “even if I wanted to stop things now, I could not. I am heading to Liverpool in three days. Four days after that, I leave for Jamaica and then to New Orleans.”

“You mean ‘we’ leave, do you not?”

Ronald turned his gaze back to the flames.

“You have done more than your share to help me. Do not risk any more than you already have.”

Adam rose from his seat and walked over to a portrait.

He pointed to it.

“You know who they are, don’t you?”

Ronald nodded.

“Of course, those are your parents. Why do you ask?”

Adam looked at the painting.

“I want to tell you something I have only told my late wife.”

“Adam,” Ronald said, rising from his seat. “please do not revisit any pain on my account.”

Adam waved him back to his chair.

“I appreciate your concern, but I assure you no pain is associated with this. You know I lived much of my life in Jamaica. When I was eight years old, I was given a slave named Steven. I did not want him, but I had no choice but to take him because my mother told me that Steven would be whipped until I accepted him. Under those circumstances, I took him as my own.”

Ronald’s eyes narrowed.

“That is monstrous.”

Adam nodded.

“Yes, but I made the best of it. I knew that Steven was bound to do whatever I wanted. I was a reluctant student, and one day I commanded Steven to do some of my schoolwork.”

Ronald almost interrupted Adam, but he stopped, and his open mouth formed a smile as he realized what was coming next. 

Adam continued the story.

“Steven told me that he could not read or write. As a child required to know how to do both, I found this ridiculous.” “At that moment, I determined that Steven would be as literate as I was. We both know that teaching enslaved people to read or write at the time was illegal. But I did not care. If I could not free Steven, I would at least try to improve his lot in life in whatever way I could.”

Ronald was engrossed in the tale, even though he thought he had guessed the ending.

Adam smiled.

“By my twelfth birthday, Steven could read and write English, French, and Latin. Just before I turned eighteen, the Slavery Abolition Act had passed, and Steven, along with all the slaves in the British Empire, were free.” 

“What became of Steven after abolition?”

Adam took a swallow of brandy.

“He wanted to become a lawyer. But because of his race, he could not take the exam.”

Ronald shook his head.

“A man’s skin color should not matter. As long as he knows what he’s doing.”

“I agree,” Adam said as he faced Ronald. “Steven became a clerk to a law office in Kingston. He did so well that the firm sent him to their headquarters in London. As far as I know, he is still there.”

Adam looked back at the painting. 

“My parents disapproved of what I did. They feared what their friends would say or that my activities would be reported to the authorities. I taught Steven because even as a child, I knew it was the right thing to do.”

He turned and walked toward Ronald. 

“Helping you retrieve your wife is also the right thing to do. I will gladly take whatever risks I must to see it done.”

Ronald stood and extended his hand.

“I can’t thank you enough, Adam. There was not any way I could do this without you.”

Adam fixed his green eyes on Ronald’s brown ones.

“I am your friend,” he said solemnly. “What is important to you is important to me. Your story touched me in a way that had not happened in decades.”

Adam looked away and refilled his glass, staring at the fireplace. 

“Helping you takes me back to those days with Steven as I taught him skills that were largely forbidden for his people. I knew I was doing right by him, as I am doing right by you.”

Adam looked at Ronald. The fire sparkled in Adam’s tear-filled eyes.

“Your mission also touches me because-” 

His voice caught in his throat, and he turned his gaze back to the fireplace. Adam took a large swallow of brandy and swirled the remaining liquor.

“It touches me because I could not save my wife. I could do nothing but watch her waste away. Your wife is alive and waiting for you. I can help you save her.”

Adam sniffed loudly and cleared his throat. 

“I believe I am saving myself from the pain and despair of Elizabeth’s death. This act helps keep my hope burning.”

Ronald placed his glass on the table and approached Adam. 

He gripped his friend’s shoulders and said, “I am honored to call you my friend, no, my brother. Because in what we are about to undertake, the title ‘friend’ is not enough.”

Adam only nodded. He could not speak without losing his grip on the emotions flooding him.

Ronald wanted to embrace Adam, but he saw his friend struggling to control himself. Ronald only extended his hand once more.

“Thank you, brother. We will succeed, and I will owe you everything.”

Adam shook Ronald’s hand and said, “We will succeed, and you will owe me nothing except what we already have.”

Ronald walked toward the hallway, but before he left the room, he turned to look at Adam. Adam sat in his chair, staring at the flames. As he reached the first step, he said a short prayer for his friend and himself.

“Lord, keep us both as we start on this path.”

December 23, 1858

Ronald watched his breath steam from his mouth in the winter air. He had told himself that he would never spend another winter in England. Ronald hated the cold, but his presence here was a debt Ronald owed. A debt that he would never be able to repay. That debt was to Adam Fineman, his friend and brother. Ronald and Adam took a steamship from Liverpool to New Orleans just over a year ago. Thanks to a communication network that Adam had established, everything was in place. Sylvia and her three sisters met the boats at the designated location. Once they boarded, Ronald, Adam, and their men rowed the boats toward the waiting steamer. Gunshots rang out before they had made it halfway to their goal. Adam, Ronald, and the men with them frantically increased their pace. At some point during their escape, Ronald heard Adam grunt. 

Ronald initially thought the grunt was from his effort rowing. It was not until they reached the steamship that they learned Adam had been wounded. 

A bullet had pierced Adam’s lung and shattered several ribs. The nearest friendly port was twelve hours away. 

Everyone knew that Adam did not have that long. Adam died a few hours later, but not before he told everyone he had made Ronald the heir to his estate and his share of the shipping business he helped found. Once they returned to Britain, Adam was buried next to his wife in the family crypt. Soon after, Adam’s will was read, and what he had told Ronald on the steamship was confirmed. Since then, Ronald, Sylvia, and their infant son, Adam, have lived at what was now Ronald’s home. But he would trade it all to have Adam back. Before Ronald could entirely focus on his sorrow, he saw Sylvia walking little Adam through the snowy lawn. Ronald smiled and moved to join them. Ronald leaned down and kissed Sylvia, then tickled Adam’s chin.

Ronald tried not to feel guilty that Adam’s death had granted him a new life. He comforted himself with the knowledge that Adam would do it all again without hesitation.

Ronald looked toward the crypts and sent a single thought in that direction; Thank you.

August 16, 2023 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

17:57 Sep 10, 2023

https://themyelitedatequest.life/?u=0uww0kv&o=1e0px26

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.