7 comments

Contemporary Drama Romance

Hailey watched with silent envy as Aiden set up a new menu board outside his little booth. He just thought he could get a bakery across from hers, steal all her customers, and compete against her at the local holiday festival? How dare he?

As she stacked her blueberry muffins on a white baking sheet, she saw from the corner of her eye as Mrs. Asher walked up to Aiden's booth and bought a few cakes.

Mrs. Asher who had always supported her was now buying from the enemy. When the old lady had finished up buying her goods, Hailey caught Aiden watching her, with a small smile lifting at the corners of his mouth.

He was annoying and he looked good, she realized. She just couldn't deny the fact that his dark chocolate brown curls and deep green eyes made him so darn attractive.

Hailey was about the smile back, almost overlooking their little rivalry, but stopped herself in time as a lady in a pretty summer dress walked up to her stall, holding a piece of paper.

The women looked at Hailey's table and then quickly scribbled something down on the paper.

"Hi, I'm sorry is there a problem?" Hailey asked.

The woman looked up at her and nodded sheepishly. "I'm afraid that you're not prepared for our annual holiday baking contest."

Hailey's heart sank. "Wait, what? Why not? I am completely prepared."

"We thought we would host a new contest this year that should include two people. You need a partner, honey," the woman explained.

"I need that money," Hailey's voice cracked.

Her grandmother's cafe wasn't thriving with customers any more and Hailey was doing everything in her power to prevent the bank from taking the family business away, but it just wasn't enough.

"I'm sorry about that," the woman said.

"I'm Hailey's partner," a deep male voice said behind me.

Hailey swiveled around to see Aiden standing there, with his basket of cupcakes and pastries.

"If you want to make fun of me, then go ahead, but I don't have time for this Aiden," she said.

He frowned as he placed his basket on her booth. "I'm not joking," he said, before turning back to the woman. "And yes, this is my partner. We didn't know that this was a joint competition this year."

The woman eyed them suspiciously, but eventually nodded and left Hailey's table. When they were finally alone, she turned around to face Aiden, who was already spreading out his pies and cupcakes on the empty table right next to hers.

"Why did you help me?" she asked.

"Because I overheard them and I also realized that I needed a partner too," he said honestly.

Hailey rolled her eyes. "God forbid, you would actually do something nice to help me out. See, that is why I don't like you."

He turned around and walked up to her. "I think it's much more than that."

Hailey swallowed as his tall figure hovered above her and instinctively held her hands up against his firm chest.

"Why do you hate me so much?" he asked.

She stepped away from him and dropped her hands to her sides. "Because I have nothing left and the last thing I needed was for some new dashing cafe to come into town and take the spot across from mine."

Aiden lifted his eyebrows. "Just because I have a cafe across from yours?"

She could feel the hot tears brimming, just waiting to break free. "No, not just because of that. I have a three-year-old daughter at home. Try explaining to a three-year-old why you don't even get business from the old women anymore," she said. "The bank wants to take away my grandmother's cafe. It's my only livelihood as a single mom."

Tears began falling so she turned away from Aiden and began rearranging her cakes.

"Hailey-" Aiden began but a horn blared, commencing the start of the annual taste test.

People from all over Boulder were here just to taste some of the best cakes and pastries. The winner would be donated twenty thousand dollars for their efforts.

Hailey was sure who should have been the real winner between her and Aiden if they weren't partnered up. He drove an imported Aston Martin and he wore a Rolex watch.

Hailey on the other hand needed to save her collapsing business, feed her three-year-old daughter, and maybe start with her college tuition that she'd abandoned once she had Mae.

But she just couldn't care anymore. It seemed that life had it out for her every single time she'd tried to do something right. Maybe it was always going to be like this.

Hailey dried her eyes and smiled as brightly as she could at the customers. Their tables were almost empty.

From the side of her eye, Hailey watched as Aiden worked, every now and then, turning to glance back at her.

The sun settled in the distance as they sold the last of their pastries and people had begun to cast their vote for their favorite holiday couple.

Aiden and Hailey stood with the rest of the bakers as the votes were tallied and the judges proceeded to the stage.

Hailey crossed her fingers and looked up at Aiden who was watching her with warm eyes.

"And the winners are," the chubby male judge announced," Aiden and Hailey from table seven!"

The crowd roared with excitement and Hailey could barely believe her ears. Aiden grabbed her hand and they went up on stage to collect their cheque and trophy.

"We won," she said and Aiden turned towards her and lifted her small frame into his arms, before kissing her roughly.

Happiness burst through Hailey and she kissed him back, making the crowd go wild. He tasted of warm cinnamon spice, Hailey noted as their kissed deepened and his tongue traveled along hers.

Hailey cried as they broke apart and realized that it had not only been hate that she had felt for Aiden but love too.

"I'm sorry," she said, choking out a laugh.

"You don't have to apologize. I'm sorry for adding to your hardship, but the only way I can think of repaying you is if we join our efforts and open up one amazing cafe together, Hailey Caswell," Aiden said, stroking his long fingers along her cheek. "Would you do me that honor?"

Hailey laughed and nodded. "Yes, I will," she said and kissed him once again.

December 10, 2020 10:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

✨Abby ✨
20:12 Dec 18, 2020

Love this!

Reply

Ayesha Bibi
23:06 Dec 18, 2020

Thank you so much☺️🤗

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:19 Dec 18, 2020

Ofc! Loved this so much.

Reply

Ayesha Bibi
00:16 Dec 19, 2020

Aww you're so sweet!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
21:27 Dec 20, 2020

I liked this story. But u could hAve done better with more details. Anyway keep writing😊

Reply

Ayesha Bibi
16:48 Feb 05, 2021

Um, thanks I guess

Reply

Amel Parvez
17:04 Feb 05, 2021

Na! Anytime:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.