0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Denny the Sparrow

Of all the Sparrow’s in his community Denny was the one pushing the limits all the time that kept getting him into trouble with the community and the leaders. The leaders were continually reminding him he must follow the rules for the community to survive. For some reason Denny felt he was not destoned to be like all the other Sparrows.

The weather was starting to get colder and the community was preparing to fly south for the winter. Denny thought for a minute and decided he was a year older now, young and strong and pretty smart so he should be able to stay up hear for the winter and not have to make that long flight down south and back it’s so boring.

Denny made up his mind to stay when the others left. The day came when the leaders got all the sparrows together and said we are leaving in the morning so get ready. Denny started to think on how he would not be missed what the community took off.

The next morning as the community took off, he told one the leaders he had something to finish up and would catch up with the rest.

Denny just stood there while the rest went out of sight. He looked around and saw all the area he had to look for seeds, worms, and anything else he wanted all to himself. For days he walked around eating all the worms he wanted, and he didn’t have to fight for them. During the night he could sleep anyplace he wanted and could go to sleep and wake up anytime he wanted without making any other Sparrow mad at him.

Denny enjoyed the freedom with only him and a bunch of cows that did not bother him and they ate different food as well.

This went on for about two weeks and he couldn’t understand why they had to fly south when the weather or anything had not changed around him. About the end or the third week he saw the leaves changing color and they were beautiful, likes so many things were new to him. It was getting a little cooler but nothing to worry about, there was still plenty of food and he had made him a nice nest to sleep in at night.  

Denny started to feel the weather was getting cooler and the leaves were falling off the tree’s now. He had never seen that before because he was usually gone down south by this time. Denny felt he could still stick it out, he would stay in his nest longer there was still plenty of food so he figured if he only went out for a short time each day he should be fine. This lasted for a few more day’s and he started to get concerned about the weather, he was having trouble staying warm. There was still plenty of food he just could not stay out of the nest very long.

Denny was having trouble getting out of the nest even though there was plenty of food. He decided enough was enough and started getting ready to fly south the next morning after a good night’s sleep.

The next morning, he understood why the community flew south every year. He started getting out of the nest, but he was so cold he could hardly walk. Denny started flying but found it a little hard and the higher he went the harder it became. When he thought he was high enough and starting to fly south ice started to form on his wings and he started to come down. Denny flapped his wings very hard but continued to fall out of the sky. He kept falling and he knew he was going hit the ground hard so he prepared for it as best he could.

Denny hit the ground with a thud, and he thought he was going to die. Right then a cow walked by and dropped a big pile of crap all over him. He thought now I am really going to die. In a few short minutes Denny started to warm up and after a few more minutes he was getting comfortable enough to start moving around to make a little room for himself. When he had the room big enough to look around, he saw a lot of seeds and grain and plenty of bugs. Denny thought to himself this is not such a bad deal after all, here I am warm with plenty of food that should last the winter.  

Denny was so happy with himself he started chirping the more he chirped the happier he got, and he started chirping louder and louder.

Little did Denny know there was a big barn cat named Lucy setting in the door of the barn, she knows that at this time of the year and several more months finding food will a little hard as most if the little rodents and birds have either gone underground or flown away. Lucy was sitting there hoping she could find some food.

It was then that Lucy heard the chirping and couldn’t believe it, so she started flowing the sound. As quietly as she could she followed the sound until she got to the pile of cow dung. Lucy was so surprised she put her ear right down next to it and the sound was there alright.

Lucy stood up and with her paw took a big swing and knocked a big piece of the top off the pile, and right there was Denny looking up at Lucy, Lucy did not hesitate took another swipe and flipped Denny into her mouth and enjoyed eating him right then and there.

Moral of the story:

Sometimes those who put you in crap is not necessarily your enemy.

Sometimes those who get you out of crap is not necessarily your friend.

So, if you find yourself in a pile of carp – keep your mouth shut.

October 10, 2020 19:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.