0 comments

Holiday

The T.V blared with ridiculous music; the bands this year weren't that good. I walked past the kitchen and poked my head into my living room. Valerie was fast asleep clutching her favorite Christmas doll, mom and dad's eyes were glued to the screen. A quick image of the New York ball flashed on the screen. I wrinkled my nose, nah I was good and planning to go to the skate park tomorrow with my crew; it was time for bed. I went up the stairs at a leisurely pace. I could feel the cold wooden wood through my socks, I looked down and slipped. my head hit the edge of the next step and I saw white behind my eyes, I heard the New Yorkers counting down, and I closed my eyes.

"William wake up! I swear my boys gonna grow up and be one of them dewdroppers." I opened my eyes to see a frantic woman making breakfast. she walked over to me and set down a bowl of what appeared to be horse food. I swirled around the oats and wheat. she walked over smiling a beaming smile and placed three blueberries on top. "To start the new year." she smiled and once again yelled at me to 'eat my breakfast and get up'. I slowly sat up and stared at my surroundings. I swear my eyes looked at every crack and crevice. I slowly rolled out of the heavy sheets covering me and my feet landed on an embroidered carpet beside my bed. I slowly raised my self and stood gapping at the room I was in. "Good your up! Now get dressed." I spun around to see the woman again and she gave me a puzzled look. she walked away muttering how you 'shouldn't give a kid a Highball'. who was she? where am I? I spotted some white laced curtains and frantically rushed to open them. My fingers wrestled to untie them, and with a tug they ripped apart. I gripped the sill and peered out. A gravel path led out to what seemed the front of the house, and the gravel path led to-- I let out a high pitched shriek. My breath became rushed and I dropped my head in between my knees trying to calm down. I looked back up and a woman and her little girl were walking across  the sidewalk; she caught sight of me and shielded her daughter's eyes. I then realized I was in my pajamas standing in the middle of a window. I closed the curtains and ran over to a large wardrobe on the wall of my room. The doors flung open and I felt a set back into time. long pants were folded at the bottom, a set of ties hung from the top, and a vested top was laid out. No Way! No way! I desperately looked around for something to wear. nothing. I threw on the pants and the shirt and took a look at some very scary looking socks. I discarded the socks with an evil look in my eyes. I'd rather die. I walked out the door and was greeted by a very scary man. he looked like someone out of a bonnie and Clyde document. He placed a large hand on my shoulder, looked me up and down, and shook his head. I was frozen with fear, he just took out a cigar and walked past me. I turned to see him walk outside and when I turned back I was greeted by the lady from this morning. "William! Go back to your room and get dressed! Is this how my own son treats me on the new year! shoo! shoo!" I scurried back into the old fashioned room. I scooted the socks up my legs put shoes over them, I added a vest over my shirt and grabbed the tie. What was I doing! I stared at the long cloth in my hands and walked out of the room. The lady was there to greet me. she sighed and wrapped the tie around my neck and fastened it. I blushed, for some reason I felt embarrassed. she turned away and went into an unseen room. I just stood there, like an idiot, and after a few long minutes decided to explore. The house was ancient! rugs lined the floor, and old clock covered one wall, I was even surprised to see a wooden box with a glass screen set in the middle of the room. I walked over to the couch and sat down. I finally ripped my eyes away from the weird box to see a newspaper lying on the small tabel. I reached for it immediately spying the date. January 1st 1920! My eyes scanned the paper, titles read: Rose Bowl, Harverd beats Oregon 7-6! the time was dated 3pm. My head suddenly felt heavy. This can't be happening! I got up and walked around, inspecting the framed walls of the room. I rose my hand to meet the wall-"William?" I spun around. "yes?" that was weird. "you have a play date with Helen today, she's excited to tell you about a new book: Last Of The Mohicans, and I want you to listen to every word of it." she raised her eyebrows and I felt very small. "uh right." Her eyebrows raised even higher than I thought was possible. "Uh? young man?" I quickly recovered. "sorry ma'am". she scooted me out the door. "Go on now." I walked out the door and spied the ugly antique car sitting in the gravel path.

I've been in this room for hours. I don't want to be here, short dirty socks littered the floor. and a very scary box keeps lighting up and buzzing on the table next to me. I hear the box 'bing' again, and I look over. bright words filled the box. My eyes squinted and scanned the words. "Andrew where r u man? get yo but out to the skate park" I muttered the words and winced at the crude language. It was finally time to get up. I stepped over piles of filthy clothes and walked out of the weird room. I was starving. "Ma?" no answer and everything looked so different. "Breakfast is in the kitchen!" I jumped at the womens loud voice. I walked into another strange room and sat down at a table. What was happening? All I remember is hitting my head on my bedpost and waking up to--this! "This is not right!" my mind was racing. "and who is Andrew" I muttered. I decided to go outside and was soon greeted with a loud blare. The fast moving mobile swerved and sped off. I was shocked beyond control. What was that! It resembles one of the cars Pa had in the gravel driveway, but this one was much larger-and faster. I needed this day to be over.

 

Helen’s story was so incredibly boring! Cowboys and Indians were my past from like-10 years ago! I had politely told her I wasn't feeling well and had to go home; then I foolishly looked around for a skate park. That was a no go. 

 

I had been walking for at least an hour now, I was so lost confused and bored. I wanted my ma and Pa, even Helen would work out! Dark finally arrived and I was so thankful I knew my way back to the mysterious house. I walked through the door and prepared to go back to the dirty room. Everything will make sense tomorrow. The wooden stairs were slippery as I walked up and I looked down at the floorboard, slipping and hitting my head against the corner. “What a way to start the new year” I whispered as I closed my eyes. 


January 02, 2020 21:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.