Little, then Big

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about miscommunication.... view prompt

2 comments

General

One day while I was getting up, my mom called me literally. Like on the phone. When she called, she told me she was going to be okay, and her story as she knew it. I didn’t believe it, though I was trying very hard. Since my parents were divorced, but not formally, I knew exactly what she meant. The new virus, and it was horrible. It struck my mom first. First person on the planet to get it. Four years ago, she got it. Four years I’ve been living alone. Four years ago, my father left. For no reason, dealing with marriage however, whatsoever, my father decided to leave. He said he would go to work, but he never came back. 

My life now, without a father, is utterly horrible. Only a virus can change the world for individuals and the whole world forever. When I went to my last day ever in high school, I cried. I cried until the bell rang, and until I got home. Thinking. Thinking about the world, and my “old”, better life. A life with God, with a full family, two parents, my sibling, and amazing activities. Gymnastics, soccer, volleyball, and many others. A wonderful, wonderful life. Going back to the wonderful, beautiful world I could see. Even more generally, going back to when I could see.

A busy, colorful day at school was my lighter and my wick. In elementary, last day. I was excited for promotion, but I shouldn’t have. I will dread that day for the rest of my life, to my last day on Earth, I will grief and regret that day of the horrible promotion. When I went to school that day, I thought, I can finally have a promotion. Though that day, I have a verbal fight with my best buddy and B.F.F., Crystal. We were playing volleyball together, and the ball went over the fence. The electric fence. Over. Over. Over… My head ached. I got a lump in my throat. I was going to cry. Then suddenly, she laughed. She laughed, “That ball is stupid! Hahahaha! Your special ball! Hahaha!” But what a great miscommunication that was and misunderstanding that was. 

For the next year I asked my mom if I could get homeschooled. Although she was a little hesitant, she said ok. Doing that, and not telling my B.F.F., Crystal, all about it, was going to change my life forever. Crystal, a kind, obedient, but also a kind of person who takes little words very seriously, told her parents about me. For the next few weeks, I was the center of the show. The police show. Crystal’s father, a very strong, but “evil”, amazing police. Same with her mother. I was the center. The very center, and hole I couldn’t dig myself out of. All Crystal said were a few words to her parents. She said, “Scarlet called me a butthead, pinched me, and tried to hold me captive!” Part of that was a lie, Crystal thought. That was how my horrible life started.

I hid, hid wherever I could when I was in public. The police were going to punish me. Not normal, but a hard, hurtful punishment. First, the eye doctor called my mom ( or so she said ). Then we went to the eye examination. After that, my mind went blank and black. I was out. Unconscious. When I tried to open my eyes, I couldn’t. My mom was crying, yelling at the police to leave. Crystal’s father was snickering. Mother told me that the police were trying to make me blind, but did that, and hurt me more than needed. Then, as she said that, that sudden moment, she fainted. Everyone saw. She was getting rushed into the ER. She couldn’t and wouldn’t wake up. I was crying, she was in a coma because of me. 

All the noise of the machines in the hospital was tremendous. People were talking on their walkie talkies, and machines were roaring. The doctors said that she was covered with a bunch of fluids, and they were doing everything they could. I knew they were hiding something though. Almost all the doctors hurled around my mother. One called my dad, and told him about her. When he came, he didn’t even glance her way. He was holding back tears. He never cried, and never will, he said to me once. This sad moment changed him forever. I couldn’t see, but could picture all this happening. Dad wondered what happened to me and the story, but I never told him. He told me that mom had picked up a deadly, mysterious, and scary virus that symptoms were fainting, getting into a coma, and possibly, most likely, never waking up. This last thing got me mourning. This mysterious virus, now named, asquerosa, was the first of its kind. Like in history, the Corona virus. I hoped it would never turn out that way. 

My older sister, Alina, was comforting me, and then the call came. Mother was awake. She woke up from her coma! All the doctors were cheering. I was cheering, and along with my whole family. Then I remembered it. I was blind now. As quick as light, my life darkened again. I had an idea. I was going to isolate myself, and stop anyone from coming near me. I didn’t want someone like Crystal to be my friend anymore. That was my genius plan.

In ninth grade I’m an isolated teenager. Having none as friends is hard. Having a mother that is about to die is harder. Having no father, and a great big sister in college is worse. No one to go to. I also have to take care of myself. I’m only fourteen-in-a-half right now. I’ve read in studies that if you isolate yourself for too long, then you will have a better life than before. But, of course, that isn’t true. Since my experience, I’ve never quite had friends. Except Grace. She is beautiful! She has a kind-hearted soul, with her whole family Christans. Not only were they kind, they were also awesome. Their whole family was perfect for me. Then I met April. She had no father, like me. They weren’t cool, but April was a very nice, kind, and anything but a bad child. “Unlike Grace,” I chuckled, “you are a very obedient, and truly kind natured girl.” Both girls were very beautiful, but in different ways. Grace had beauty on the outside, on the other hand, April had it on the inside. 

When I went to college, I heard pitiful little Crystal. When she saw me though, she didn’t just ignore me, but she started crying. She yelled to me in between breaths, “I’ve missed you, Scarlet!” she cried, “I’m so sorry for what I’ve done. I made you blind and suffer. Though I didn’t want you to go to juvenile jail, so I said to make you blind.”she whispered the last part sadly. We made up, and right when I was apologizing, and telling the story, Crystal said, “STOP! I didn’t say that! I started crying after you ignored me. I was trying to keep you from getting electrified, even though you did.” she said with a forced laugh. 

“And I thought you said that, so I got mad! That also explains why my head hurt.”

“We figured it out!” we both said at the same time.

“It was a great miscomunica-” The phone was ringing. It was the doctors. I got ready for the sad moment and words of death. She’s dead, I thought. When I picked up the phone, the doctors said, “She’s healthy! Please come pick her up!” Me and Crystal were exchanging glances. Crystal said to go and fullfill my dream. She was alive!

March 18, 2020 00:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jeremiah Osibe
21:35 Mar 25, 2020

Hi Emily, I read your story. Thank you for putting in the effort. I struggled with a few punctuation errors though, but then I thought "maybe that's miscommunication needed!". I like how dramatic some of your expressions are, but most of them lacked fluidity; one drama should be able to connect with the next. If you work on connecting each sentence with the next and allow the drama to unfold smoothly, your stories will become charming. Keep up the good work. Keep putting the effort.

Reply

Emily Ku
15:45 Mar 27, 2020

Ok! Thank you for the feedback. I will try to do that. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.