2 comments

Fantasy Sad

 Author's note: Ignore the 'I's at the bottom that was because my story is quite short and I needed to increase the word count. Enjoy the story! :)

  I’m not crazy I promise. You only think I am because I’m not like you. You only think I’m crazy because I’ve set my spirit free and let love conquer my mind. My spirit has been freed of the cages that society put it in and now I let it go and be free. I have left. I feel myself glow, I let my body tell me want to do. I run through the soft yet spiny cool grass in bare feet with the wolves in my dreams. I feel the aura of the animals that dance and run through this world and I feel those in the next. I am spiritual, I may seem different from you but your spirit is in you and you must break away from that cage. I let my hair fly naturally in the wind and sing with the lullaby of nature and the choir of crickets and I feel their voices swirling around my head. I tuck flowers behind my ears and let their healing and love take over my mind. 

  I walk through the forest weaving in and out of the shadows of the tall elderly trees and feel as their wisdom fills my spirit and see their aura glowing strong. The warm Autumn sun burns bright setting the forest aglow with its sympathetic rays. It brings the spirits of the trees out or what some call a shadow. I notice mine dancing happily behind me, glued to my feet until the day that it shall break free and pass to another land but for now it is here. I skip along the forest, branches, and brush tickling my bare legs as my dress flows behind me. I sing with the whistling wind. Letting my voice fill the woods, the wind carries it as it twirls between tree branches and bounces off the water sending ripples down below to the fish. 

   The rain trickles down from the sky as the clouds cry and shout out in shrieks of thunder. The lightning happily dances and cracks down sends sparks to wake up the spirits and the trees announcing its presence. I dance in the rain as it pours over my hair and drips down my face washing away my worries and letting them fall to the ground. I spin and swirl and wave my arms freely not having to worry about the judging, painful glares of society. Finally being free, the sky cries so it can wash away what once was and start new letting the world be born again. I love the rain, I love the wet squishy ground below my feet as I walk and the cool droplets that drip down my face. I love it here, just me and the woods.

    They think I’m crazy, I don’t know why. I just want to be free but they won’t let me. They think I’m crazy for thinking I can communicate with animals, I can though. Sort of. I can feel their spirits and see their auras. I love them. Animals are so pure and hopeful never letting anything dampen their spirits and forever running free through the glades of the world and I would like to run with them. I climb tall trees to feel the wind and smell the fresh air. Watching the birds soar high to the stars and getting a look from their world. I climb down to a lower branch and lean back against the tree feeling its warmth and wisdom as I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

My eyes flicker open and like the camera lens that they are they focus. The bright white light is blinding as it bounces off the white walls. I get off the hard creaky cot and walk around, the long hospital gown tickling my knees and the band around my writ scratching my dry skin. I stare out the glass even though I can’t see what’s outside but I know they can see me. I stare off and remember what I had when I was free and now my happy dancing spirit has been caged once more.

I I I I I I I I I I  I I I I I I  I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I  I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I  I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I  I I I I I I  I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I  I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I  I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

March 26, 2021 20:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alya Kaikuahine
02:54 Mar 27, 2021

Great story!! I really liked it even though it was short. I also really love how you took the prompt. Your stories are dark, but they always seem to pull me in, and I can't stop reading! AGGGHHHH SOOOOOOO GGOOOOOOOOODDD!!!! I like how the character feels free(for most of the story, at least). You really captured that feeling of being free and going wherever you want. Great job!! Keep writing! MANY thumbs up:):)

Reply

M C
11:47 Mar 27, 2021

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.