Over a Shared Cigarette

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Romance Friendship



If there was ever a time to start smoking, why not have it be at a wedding? 

While it may not be the wisest choice, when a pack of unopened cigarettes wrapped in an alluring gold package appears at your feet on the dance floor, it’d be neglectful to not put them to good use. The odds of anyone missing them were low, not when bodies were tightly packed together in a trance of dancing to the most mindless wedding music everyone could enjoy. 

At least, that’s what Freddy thought as he held the cigarette delicately between his fingers. He watched the smoke twirl off of it, not minding that he was wasting the short time he had by just watching the ash fall as it burnt up, the red tip blinking to the beat of the music pounding behind the door he was sitting by. Honestly, he’d only taken one drag of it before deciding that it wasn’t something he enjoyed. He was letting it burn out so he had time to think if he actually wanted to continue with a full one, entertained by the idea just for something to talk about later. 

Just as he was about to light the next one, the door to the alley outside the venue opened up with a loud squeak. A figure in a light brown suit came out, stepping a few feet into the alley and letting the door fall back into place with a pleased thud. 

The man sighed, shoulders rising high and falling with sharpness. Long dreads swayed against the expensive fabric as he shook his head, his hands, and the rest of his body, as if he was trying to get something out of it. 

“Need a cigarette?” 

With a startled jump, the man turned around and looked wide-eyed over at Freddy. Relief washed over him just as quickly when he realized he wasn't just some random person in the alley, but obviously another wedding attendee who needed a break from the party inside. “Sure, but I don't smoke.” 

Freddy snorted, smiling up at the handsome man and tapping the cigarette between his fingers. “Neither do I, but there's a first time for everything. We can share. Promise I don't have cooties.” 

“Only children who do have cooties say they don't have cooties,” the man sat down, his pristine suit crinkling in perfect ripples. Freddy only noticed because he was looking at his long legs, appreciating the tailored suit and the way it fit the groomsman. Cameron, the groom of the night, picked a good color for this man, surely. “But sure. No time like a wedding to start a new habit, huh?” 

“That’s exactly what I was thinking,” Freddy laughed, shaking his head and giving the man a long glance. “Though, maybe dancing or flower arranging would be hobbies better to get into after a night like this. I think Sybil would kill me if she saw me smoking right now, and a habit I don’t want to get into is pissing off the bride. Unfortunately, I think I’ve already done it once tonight.” 

“What did you do?” the man laughed into his hand, smiling as they met eyes. “Knowing Sybil, it had to be something big. She’s been so chill all night.” 

“I refused to dance with one of her aunts. Which just happens to be one of my aunts as well. And this aunt’s been trying to hook me up with all of our family friends' children who are attending this wedding, so I’ve been avoiding her all night to avoid being introduced to someone’s son who owns a corporation or something and is boring as hell.”

“Ah, I can see why you’re keen on smoking out here then. Well, better light us up,” the man laughed, and suddenly Freddy could remember his name. He was one of the groomsmen and had been introduced when the wedding reception started. Freddy had barely been paying attention, as he was zoning out as his aunt droned in his ear about the fact that he was due for a wedding soon. 

It was Aidan. Aidan, who Freddy thought he may have seen in pictures with Sybil and Cameron before, but never really thought much of other than the fact that he was handsome. 

In a rather smooth sequence of actions for someone who has never smoked before, Freddy pulled out another cigarette and handed it to Aidan without any hesitation. The man held it up to his lips and Freddy leaned over to light it, flicking the small gear until it flickered and lit the stick. 

“If you don’t smoke, where did you find this lighter,” Aidan asked after he inhaled some smoke, blowing it out almost immediately rather than letting it sit there. 

“There was a girl out here smoking before I was. Let me borrow it and told me to have fun.” He held out his hand to take the cigarette for his turn, bringing it to his lips and slowly dragging from it. He’s smoked a joint here and there in his life, so he could get away with not coughing from the taste and sensation, but it wasn’t good. “So, how has the wedding been for you?” 

“For me?” Aidan shook his head with laughter. “I’m happy that it’s actually happening. Wedding planning always feels like it’s one wrong turn away from not happening. Not that Cameron would ever let something as trivial as … I don’t know, losing the cake for a few hours, missing a whole table, and having to buy a new pair of shoes the day of the wedding stop him from marrying Sybil.” 

And this was why Kenny was glad that he wasn’t officially a part of the wedding. No matter how close he was to his cousin, the inner workings of a wedding stressed him out just thinking about it. Being a guest and having free reign to take advantage of the open bar and dance floor though, he could handle that to an extent. 

Chats outside with cute boys, he could definitely handle that. 

Kenny took a few moments to reply, enjoying the way their fingers brushed as they passed the cigarette back and forth. One hit for him, one hit for Aidan. “I’m Kenny, by the way.” 

“Aidan. Nice to meet you.” Instead of shaking his hand he just passed the dwindling cigarette. “How has the wedding been for you, y’know, minus running from the aunt and all.”

“Honestly? Pretty good, minus the fact that even though it's annoying my aunt is badgering me about finding a partner, it still makes one a little bit… melancholy that they don't have a partner. Like, slow dancing is fun, but I can't do it myself!”

They paused in talking, both watching the night sky above the alley they were in and alternatively looking at each other with curiosity in their eyes. 

“Do you think your aunt would get off your back if she saw you dancing with me?” 

The words hung in the air like smoke, twisting around in Kenny’s chest in a way he never thought words could. 

There was something about the air at a wedding that made the idea of a romance seem more viable than it really was. It made things like smoking feel sacred, and time away from the dancing bodies to be holy. 

“Maybe. Should we see?” he asked, smiling behind the last bits of the cigarette. He threw the stub to the ground after and mashed it with his foot in a way he’d seen people do. It didn’t feel as cool as it looked, and he knew he’d come back to properly throw it away later. 

“We should.” 

The door opened again to the left of them and the noise of cheering people and loud bass blared through their moderately silent night. White fabric was seen first, and then Sybil’s blonde hair poked out from behind the door. 

“Kenny? Aidan? What are you doing out here?” she asked, skin flushed from the warmth inside. 

“Smoking a cigarette,” Aidan hummed, giving her a smile to brighten the night and winking. 

She scoffed. She’s never seen either of them smoke before, presumably. “Yeah, right. Kenny, Auntie is looking for you again and I’m tired of hearing from her. Please go talk to her for God’s sake.” 

“Can’t. I have someone to dance with already.” 

“Who, Cameron? I told you, you can’t steal him for dancing until the night’s almost over. Then you can have him.” 

Aidan stood up and extended his arm out for Kenny to reach out to. “It’s me. I’m officially his dance partner for any and all slow dances for the rest of the night. Ready?” 

Kenny grinned, clasping their hands together and letting himself be helped up. “So ready.” 


And the rest was history. At their wedding, they’d smoke another cigarette (the only one they’ve smoked since then) and dance all night long. 


August 24, 2024 01:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lindsay Nicole
17:37 Aug 30, 2024

Love the interaction between these two :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:59 Aug 27, 2024

I love these fellas!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.