Mon Rayon de soleil

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: End your story with somebody stepping out into the sunshine.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

Gabrielle was walking home after work. It had been quite a rough day at work. A day like no other. 

“I was tired but there was something unusual in the air that lifted my spirit. The tang in the air was definitly a boost to my spirit.”

The birds flying home created a beautiful pattern against the sky filled with fluffy white cushiony clouds while the blue sky popped out here and there. 

As I kept walking down the road I spotted the great ball of fire retiring to bed beyond the mountain. The retiring sun was telling me something, was it my imagination; Oh! I guess it was ,smiling at the rising silver moon.

I felt that each one was  talking to me: Speaking to my Soul. In the far distance I could here the ringing of the church bells. My tired soul was elevated.

I was not walking anymore . I skipping down the road. 

"Good evening Mr. Simon - Safe walk home. " Gabrielle shouted at Mr. Simon

the milkman who was returning home after a tiring day at work.

His face lit up as he heard this cheerful greeting. He turned back and looked over his shoulder..

- I sat on the side of the road that gave a beautiful view of our little village. I felt the soft breeze embrac me .It was warm. I felt it was telling me a story. A story like no other. Yes there was something different I could see the villages,rushing along the roads. An occassio toot but definitly a beautiful Sight. why I wandered for a moment I didn't sit there to admire this beauty.To feel this difference .This was such a great moment that was wrapping around me.I was sensing the level of happiness rising within me.

Suddenly I felt my thoughts been pulled Sixteen years back. “Nah! It can't be Gabrielle thought, Sixteen years was so long.”

As she sat there ,she tossed her head to look at the beautiful sight in the far West .The sun was setting beyond the mountains .

I could see a familiar figure walking the road. In a blue denim and shirt. The figure was so  familiar. Oh! it was Darren, walking up the road. So young and youthful.I jumped to my feet .I did take a few steps.

Realizing the truth..

I laughed to myself. It was my imagination. It was a villager walking back home after work. May be he had a hard day at work too.

I was still laughing at my strong sense of imagination. “Hmm! It was strange to have thoughts about Darren.”

“Wander where he was? ,”Not at all Strange Gabrielle did think about Darren occassionally. Deep inside her she wished to have seen him but she never expressed to anyone. It was deep embedded in her heart .She treasured it like a Diamond or Even more.

Many a times she wished things would have worked out between them.

She always felt it was for a reason.

She always held on to the first gift Darren gave her. 

A beautiful silver necklace with a ruby on it. He said it was for eternal love. She pushed the thoughts away and Sat admiring what nature offered her.

Gabrielle started her way home. She opened  the picket fence with an immense sense of happiness.Her Youthful Spirit highlighted as she skipped into the house through the Kitchen humming a tune to herself; not noticing her mother who was  seated there waiting for Gabrielle.

“Gabriele !Gabrielle, Whats become of you. I sit here waiting for you to bring bread; and you hum along with nothing.”

“I didn't forget it! It's with me. I'll be in a minute.” Saying that she ran to change her clothes.

After dinner Gabrielle plopped herself on the couch watching her mum's favourite Tv seriel. Her phone was on charge.

Suddenly there was a knock on the window. Her mum urged her to look. Mummbling Gabrielle dragged herself to open the window and peeped out. As she opened the window her phone which was on charge started ringing. "Who could it be at this time, "she closed the window & went to answer the phone. "Who could this be?" Gabrielle thought ,it might be a customer calling to place an order for the weekend.

She ran a small home bakery.

 An unfamiliar male voice at the other end said “Hello! is it Gabrielle ?This is Darren here.”

 For a moment the name didn't strike her. She was puzzled. Suddenly a great wave of memory struck her.

“Is it you Darren? I.....I....just can't believe.” Her voice was trembling and she couldn’t speak.She felt like a sixteen year old trying to speak to the school’s football captain.

So we spoke for an hour. General and friendly talk about each other took place .Through the years both individuals had changed. More matured .More profound and more Stronger.

I was shocked and happy. I went to bed with a  bright smile; Like the Fire ball that was retiring that evening.

With a Tsunami of memories gushing in I fell a sleep.

I was woken up to the sound of my phone which definitly wasn't my alarm. As I opened my eyes I could see that dawon was just breaking in.  I looked at my phone with One single eye open.

“Good morning 

Have a safe day,” was that I read . My heart skipped a beat.

It was Darren

Each day like the tap at the window. My phone would ring at Sharp 8.10 at night. I would finish my work and wait for the call at night and by morning I would wake to a good morning message and a boquet of roses.

I felt a new window was opened and a new ray of sunlight rushed in through the new opened window.

Our aquaintance grew into a  strong bond .A strong bond of love faith and trust.

This walk was not easy .We did hold hands. We did have many a barriers to jump but we never did let go that grip.

 At this point Gabrielle's little buisiness Started to grow .

Her strength! 

Her unshakeable wall of strength was Darren .

Together they started climbing the ladder of life.

Today is that day Gabrielle longed for in her life. As the silk white net veil fell over her face ,she started walking up the aisle holding on to her father's arm.. The arm that protected her, loved her and cared is now handing her over to a man who her father believes and trusts with his most precious jewel.

As my father gives my hand to Darren warm tears of happiness Starts gushing down my face. I push back these tears. I don't want my make up to be smudged.

As his loving eyes gazed into mine • He spoke a thousand words.

This Sixteen long years 

The ring of the phone

was like a tap on a window 

The frost beaten window.

warmed but a single tap... 

A tap at the hearts window

The tap the heart and Soul

 Yearned for 16 long years.

With these thoughts in mind both Darren and Gabriele turned to walk down the aisle.

Amidst much love and smiles ,hand in hand they started down the aisle to step in to their own and blessed threshold.

As the church doors opened the newlyweds were greeted by the warm rays of sunshine which welcomed them in to a whole new world of Love and Happiness filled with prosperity and Blessings of the Lord.

June 23, 2021 05:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

18:36 Jun 23, 2021

Beautifully written.... Please publish a short story book.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:04 Jun 23, 2021

Another good effort by you Geshani. :) Write more!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.