The Haunted Forest

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Write about a summer vacation gone wrong.... view prompt

1 comment

Horror

It was on the edge of Cluj, Romania’s second city that they found it.

  Hoia Baciu.

  The haunted forest.

MTheir coach pulled up and they got out. Craig and Luke joined a line of other tourists opposite the first line of trees. An atmosphere of nervous energy filled the air around them. It was their first trip since leaving university in England and they desperately wanted it to be special. A trip to Eastern Europe. Hoia Baciu was Craig’s brainchild.

“It’ll certainly be memorable,” he’d told his friend.

Only after several hours and a few rounds of tequila, did they finally reach agreement. Luke wasn’t really taken with the idea, but Craig managed to convince him. A haunted trip to the land of Count Dracula. Now, standing on the edge of the forest, Craig felt doubts creeping in. Nerves too.

Was this the best idea I’d ever had… or the worst?

Craig glanced at his watch. It was nearly evening time in Romania. Soon it would be dark. Their tour guide smiled.

‘Not having second thoughts, are you?’ He asked, in clipped tones.

Craig shook his head.

‘Are you sure? It’s not too late to turn back.’

‘He’s sure,’ Luke said. ‘Aren’t you buddy? It was your idea after all.’

Craig’s expression failed to fill the tour guide with much confidence, but after some cajoling he shrugged his shoulders in defeat. It wasn’t just the haunted tour, which made him nervous, but the guide’s pale complexion. It didn’t seem right. He had had a nightmare about vampires on the plane journey over and it filled him with apprehension. The forest didn’t make him feel much better. Darkness oozed from it, reaching out for him with thin, black tendrils.

No one else seemed to notice this. Not even the guide, who now cleared his throat. The darkness began to recede.

‘Welcome to Hoia Baciu Forest,’ he remarked. ‘My name is Constantin and I will be your guide for our little tour. Before I begin, are there any questions?’

‘I’ve got one,’ Craig replied. ‘Do…’

‘Vampires exist?’ Constantin asked, interrupting him.

‘Yeah.’

When in Transylvania …

‘If I was to tell you that I’m a direct descendant of Vlad Dracul, would you believe me?’

The two tourists looked at each other. For a few seconds they were silent, but then they fell about laughing. It was a joke. Vampires weren’t real. Something about Constantin’s expression, though, suggested it wasn’t meant to be funny. It was almost as if he actually believed it to be true.

‘So,’ Constantin continued, ‘now we’ve cleared that up, I will tell you what we’re here for. White sheets and things that go bump in the night. You are familiar with these?’

Luke grimaced.

‘I don’t believe in ghosts,’ he muttered. ‘The only reason I came along was to see the look on his face when we find nothing.’

‘A non-believer,’ Constantin murmured. ‘Let’s see if we can convert you, no?’

Luke snorted derisively. Craig felt the darkness of the forest reaching out for him again, only this time it had a voice. Come in, it said. We won’t bite. He couldn’t place it, but it wasn’t human. Craig felt goose bumps on his arm, but he rolled down his shirtsleeves in a bid to try and disguise his discomfort. It failed. Constantin, ever observant, noticed.

‘Cold?’ He asked.

Luke shook his head.

‘Christ’s sake, mate, it’s like a hundred degrees out here.’

‘It’s nothing,’ Craig replied. Then, by way of distraction, he added. ‘What does Hoia Baciu stand for anyway?’

‘A good question,’ Constantin replied. ‘One I will answer when we’ve made our way into the forest. Is everyone ready?’

Craig slung his backpack over his shoulder and they marched in. Each backpack had enough food and water in it to last the night. There were no cafes or convenience stores in Hoia Baciu Forest.

‘It was named after a shepherd who went missing along with two hundred of his flock,’ Constantin remarked. ‘You won’t find many locals near here for fear of not returning. I, myself, am from Bucharest, over four hundred kilometres away, so I’m not worried. If I disappear it might be a blessing in disguise, because then I won’t have to pay alimony anymore…’

This elicited more laughs from the two men.

‘Hoia Baciu is known as the haunted forest,’ Constantin continued, ‘which is why you guys are here. Does anyone know what happened in 1968 to bring it to people’s attention?’

Everyone shook their heads.

‘You know UFOs…?’

‘Unidentified flying objects,’ Craig replied.

Constantin nodded.

‘A photographer claimed he had a picture of a UFO hovering over the clearing I’ll be showing you tonight. Can you believe it?’

Craig had read up on the clearing online before they’d arrived. It was an oval in which nothing grew. Nothing ever would. He touched one of the trees and was surprised by how cold it felt. Lifeless almost. It was made even weirder still by the fact that a gloom descended on them. The tree cover was thick, hardly letting any natural light inside. Craig glanced back at Luke, but he couldn’t see him. Apart from Constantin he was alone.

Where was he?

His heart pounded. He turned and Luke jumped out at him. It gave Craig a hell of a shock.

‘You should see your face,’ Luke proclaimed.

‘Like I’ve seen a ghost?’ Craig asked.

‘I’m afraid that doesn’t count as a paranormal encounter,’ Constantin remarked. ‘For those, we must keep on going.’

All light was choked from overhead as night fell. The canopy of trees was no longer a refreshing break from the heat of the day. It was restrictive and unsettling. Constantin turned on his torch, lighting their way. They did the same. Craig shone his at a nearby tree, which was twisted beyond recognition. He took a photo on his mobile phone. It said “no service” in a corner of the screen.

‘Have you got any mobile signal, Luke?’ He asked.

His friend shook his head. If there were any problems no one could call out. Constantin seemed amused by this. Craig wondered if they’d made the right choice picking him as their guide. His tour company had seemed shady at best. It was cheap, but was that always the best option? His mood wasn’t helped when Luke startled him by calling out.

‘Hey, who’s there?’

Craig tried to see what his friend was looking at, but he couldn’t at first. Then he saw a man in a white robe. Craig’s initial nervousness had now given way to fright. He turned to Luke and then looked back, but the man was gone.

Ghostlike

‘Was that a…?’ Luke started to say.

Constantin nodded. It was an almost imperceptible movement.

‘Of course,’ He replied. ‘This is a haunted tour. Do we have a believer now?’

‘No,’ Luke replied, ‘that was a man. As real as you and me. I’m going to go and check it out.’

Luke took off. Craig was about to follow him when he felt a cold hand on his arm. Constantin was standing next to him. His grip vicelike.

‘Let him go,’ he replied. ‘If you go after him you might both get lost. As your guide I have to make sure you get back in one piece.’

‘What about him?’ Craig asked.

‘He’ll be back in a minute. We’ll take a break.’

Craig turned and looked back the way Luke had gone. The sound of his footsteps receded, but his torchlight continued to twinkle in the darkness. The longer he saw that the better he felt. It meant he was ok. Craig took the opportunity to rest while he could. He lit up a cigarette while he waited for Luke to return.

‘You know those things will kill you,’ Constantin remarked. ‘But they’re not the only things in this world that will.’

Craig frowned. Something was off about what he’d just said. Constantin might have said the “world”, but he meant right there. It made him think. Bears, snakes, spiders, wolves, wild cats even. The one creature in this wood Craig didn’t want to think about were the bats, which were what made Romania famous. Luke didn’t believe in ghosts and there was no way he believed in vampires either.

You shouldn’t either.

‘Don’t you think Luke’s been gone a long time?’ he said.

His torchlight could still be seen. Craig knew he should have been satisfied with this, but he wasn’t. It wasn’t moving anymore.

‘I’m going to look for him,’ Craig continued.

‘I said he will back in a minute,’ Constantin replied.

Craig frowned. He didn’t want to get into an argument about the fact that that time period was long gone. It was childish at best. So, he ran off before their guide could stop him. He sprinted towards the torchlight. Loose twigs cracked beneath him. It wasn’t the quietest he’d ever been, but then he wasn’t trying to be. He called out Luke’s name, but there was no response. He found his torch nestled against the exposed roots of a tree, but he was nowhere to be seen. Feeling a presence behind him, he turned and found Constantin standing there. John hadn’t heard cracking twigs or anything. His silent movements were unnerving.

‘He’s not here,’ Craig exclaimed.

Constantin shrugged his shoulders and then made as if to turn away. Craig couldn’t believe he was giving up.

‘Where are you going?’ He asked. ‘We can’t just leave him here.’

‘He knows we’re heading to the clearing,’ Constantin replied, ‘So, I suggest we make our way out into the clearing, and he can meet us there.’

‘Good idea,’ Craig said, before raising his voice, ‘meet us in the clearing Luke.’

He hoped his friend would hear. Constantin bent down to pick up the torch, but he stopped him. Matt would need it to find his way. The guide shrugged again and shuffled off. Craig struggled to keep pace with him. They made good progress and were soon back on the right path.

‘Don’t worry,’ Constantin said. ‘He will find his way to the clearing and us. It’s not too far to go now. We can wait for him there.’

I’m glad you have faith in that.

Craig tried to shake the feeling that they’d never see him again and followed Constantin further into the forest. Gnarled trees and strange foliage were not enough to catch their attention. He was worried about Luke. His focus was on getting to the clearing and, hopefully, finding his friend.

According to the internet the clearing was the creepiest part of Hoia Baciu Forest. It defied soil scientists who were unable to explain why nothing would grow there. Craig cared little for these. The fact was that Luke was missing. He called his friend’s name, but there was no response.

‘Where is he?’ Craig asked.

‘He’ll be here soon,’ Constantin replied.

‘How do you know? He went off in search of that strange man …’

Craig couldn’t bring himself to call him a ghost.

 ‘And we haven’t seen him since. What if he’s lost or worse?’

Constantin remained neutral. John wondered what it would take for him to show any sort of emotions.

‘I could go and look for him,’ he said, ‘if that would make you feel any better.’

Craig shook his head.

‘You can’t leave me here,’ he said.

A rustle in the undergrowth nearby made him jump. Craig fixed the spot with a stare. Luke and Craig did too. Constantin laughed.

‘Here he is now.’

‘Luke, is that you?’ Craig yelled.

There was no response. The rustling had stopped too. Craig tried several more times, but with no luck.

‘Why isn’t he replying?’

‘It could be an animal,’ Constantin replied, unconvincingly. ‘Maybe you scared it with your voice.’

Craig disagreed. It was his friend, finally returned to him. He held on to that hope as he ran forward into the undergrowth. The rustling started up again. Then there was a scream. Craig backed slowly out of the undergrowth. His hands were raised slightly in front of him. A submissive gesture. He was followed out by the white figure they’d seen earlier. There was something almost regal about him and the way in which he carried himself. Craig shone his torch at the person in his arms.

Luke.

Blood trickled down his neck from two little puncture wounds on his neck. Had this man bitten him? It seemed the only explanation. Luke was limp in his arms. When the white man let go of him, he slumped lifelessly to the ground. Craig was about to turn to rush to his friend’s aid when he felt their guide’s hands on him. That same devilish grip. His earlier feeling had been right. If only he’d spoken out.

‘What the hell is this?’ Craig asked.

‘I’m sorry if you felt you were deceived,’ Constantin replied.

‘Are you a vampire?’ Craig replied.

The guide bared his elongated teeth.

‘But… how is that possible? You were out in daylight.’

Constantin sighed.

‘A common misconception,’ he replied. ‘We are nocturnal dwellers, yes, but light isn’t as bad for us as you might imagine.’

Craig tried to wriggle free, but he was unable to. Others began appearing out of the dark forest. Men, women, children even. He wondered if he might be able to appeal to them for help, but then, chillingly, he realised they were all vampires.

Ghosts, but with fangs.

‘Unfortunately, history and your people have not been so kind to us,’ Constantin continued. ‘We now find ourselves banished to Hoia Baciu Forest. If people find out what we’re doing here we will be wiped out just like our great ancestor was. There was no other way we could get you here, but under the pretence of a ghost tour. We, too, must feed.’

Craig felt physically sick. He massively regretted booking this trip. They should have gone somewhere less... dangerous. Luke had not moved at all. Was he dead? Blood was no longer flowing from the wounds on his neck, which wasn’t a good sign. It meant his heart had stopped. He was dead. Craig tried to shake himself free of Constantin’s stranglehold, but it was far too difficult.

It was almost as if he was a wildebeest trying to free himself from the jaws of a crocodile. Constantin leant forward and Craig felt his sharp teeth grazing his neck. It wasn’t enough to draw blood, but it was clear that he was about to. There was no way he was going to let them turn him. Not like his friend. As Constantin leant in further, Craig felt his grip loosen. He couldn’t believe it.

This is my moment.

Craig shoved back against him and was managed to wriggle free. Constantin went back in for him, but he was out of his reach. He stumbled around, trying to find an escape route and avoid Luke’s dead eyes at the same time.

I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.

Constantin smiled, enjoying the chase. The white vampire bristled with barely restrained anger.

‘Stop him,’ he bellowed.

Craig felt trapped. The circle was closing in on him, but then he sensed an opportunity. The smallest of gaps between two of the children, but it was his only chance. So he turned and fled in their direction. He pushed them out of the way and hurried towards the relative protection of the nearby treeline.

 ‘Don’t worry,’ Constantin said, ‘he won’t get far. We do have another lot coming in soon.’

What does he mean?

Craig gave it no more thought. He crashed through the forest. Arriving at the same spot they’d stopped to take a rest, he saw Luke’s torch and was suddenly rejuvenated. A few minutes later, although it felt like a lifetime, he reached the edge of the forest. Their transport was still there by the side of the room and next to it was another truck.

A vehicle filled with tourists.

They were innocents unaware of the mortal danger they would soon find themselves in. They thought they were there to see ghosts, but they were being led to slaughter. Craig considered warning them, but when two guides got out of the front of the truck he held back. They were as pale as Constantin, who now also came into view. He looked around, but his quarry was out of sight. Craig watched them being led into Hoia Baciu forest with a sense of dread.

He waited for them to disappear from sight and then he took off down the dirt track they’d driven down earlier. He remembered passing houses on their way. According to Constantin they belonged to the locals who were scared of the area. He ran to the nearest one and banged on the front door. After a few seconds it opened and an old woman answered.

‘Please, can you help me,’ Craig exclaimed.

The woman eyed him coldly. She clearly didn’t understand him.

‘Do you speak English?’ He asked. ‘Does anyone here speak English?’

‘I do…’

A young man stepped forward. The old lady vanished back into the house.

‘What is the matter?’ He asked.

‘My friends were attacked by vampires. We must call the police.’

Politie, of course,’ the young man replied. ‘Come in, you can use our telephone.’

Craig was allowed inside. The front door was closed behind them and he was relieved to finally be away from Hoia Baciu forest. What he failed to acknowledge, however, was the lack of surprise when he had mentioned vampires. Craig also didn’t notice how pale his host was or the two large, pointed teeth that appeared in his mouth the moment his back was turned. There was no telephone, there would be no call. The family had no business with the police nor did they fear the vampires. For they were one and the same.

August 07, 2024 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Gabrielle Holly
00:46 Aug 15, 2024

Hi Robin, Loved the premise of this story and I think you got the tension and the action at the end of the story perfect! I wonder though what was the other option for the trip in the beginning? Where exactly does Craig's fear of ghosts come from and what does the forest look like? Happy writing! Gaby Maurice

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.