The Daughter

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

As I was getting ready to go on my morning walks, I noticed a different feeling than what I usually felt each morning. The day just seemed a little gloomy and different vibes from mother nature, but I still got dressed and ready to go on my daily routine. At first, I wasn’t as bothered by this sensation, until I arrived in the woods and started to observe a different environment. I began to hear the sound of the dry leaves being stepped very close behind me. I was walking through the woods with the fear and a sensation of being followed by someone. I began to feel nervous and was cautious as I walked, I would constantly turn back to see if someone was following me, but nothing, I would turn back in a couple of minutes and nothing. Then I started to hear someone breathing deeply a couple of feet behind me, i didn't want to turn back with the fear of seeing someone, so I started to speed up my pace and began to speed walk and eventually run. At this point, I was more concerned about watching behind my back that I didn't look where I was heading to and ended up getting lost in the middle of the woods. As soon as I realized that I didn’t know where I was or how to get back home, I began to freak out and started to sweat and cry of fear. The only thing I could think of at that moment was to run, so I did, I ran the fastest I could to see if I would come across someone that would guide me out of there. Suddenly I began to hear the footsteps again, so I turned and saw someone hide behind a tree, I felt like my heart had dropped to the ground and my life had come to an end. From how nervous I was and from running too fast I began to feel very nauseous and my sight started to blur, I noticed I wasn't running straight and started to lose my balance until I completely fell. Up to that point is all I remember before I woke up. Not sure how much I spent unconscious, but once I woke up I was inside a small cabin; which seemed very old and transmitted an unpleasant odor. I looked down at my legs and saw that both my hands and legs were tied up to a metal pole. My anxiety started to rise once I heard footsteps coming closer to where I was, I wanted to scream and burst into tears, but the state of shock I was in didn’t allow my body to react. My head was bursting in pain and I still had a blurry sight. The door to the room started to open up, and a lady in black walked in, carrying a big bucket where blood was slowly running down through her hands. She came closer to me and kneeled, my heart was racing as If it were about to jump out my body, she lifted my chin with her bloody fingers as said to me, “I finally found you” as she began to cry. I was never more confused in my life then at this moment, I looked at her and the tears rained down her cheeks reflecting an enormous pain, so I asked her why she had taken me there and tied me up. She cleaned her eyes and told me that many years ago, her daughter was running around the woods and disappeared. They looked for her every day for one year but they found no trace of her, so she decided to build a small cabin in the woods, where she would stay and wait for her daughter to come home. As this lady told me her story, I realized that as the years had passed by she began to rave, and started to see her daughter in every woman that she saw. She was holding a doll in her arms as if it were the daughter she once had, then I realized why she had brought me to her cabin. The lady began to fall asleep, so I took advantage of the moment to untie myself and run out of there. I ran the fastest I could to my house and called someone so they could help me take the lady to a safe place where she would get treated. However as we arrived at the cabin, she wasn't there. We looked for her around the cabin and nearby the woods, but there was no trace of her, so we left back home. I was very intrigued by what had happened to her, there was no way she had disappeared in such a short time or gotten too far away from the cabin. Once i arrived home, I decided it was necessary to put a report with the police so they could send their people up the woods to look for her. As we walked into the police station and I asked to speak with the officer, I told him what had happened to me in the woods and he just stared at me in disbelief. I asked him if everything was okay, and he quickly got a folder and asked me to describe the lady I had seen, so I did. I began to describe her and as I finished, he put down the pencil and began to turn pale, I was confused as to why he was reacting that way, so I asked him again if everything was okay. He pulled up a picture and set it down on the table, it was the same lady I had seen. He began to tell me that, that lady had been dead for years and that many young women had claimed to see her in the woods too. My heart began pounding, and I realized that I had come in contact with a dead person who was still in the look of her daughter.

April 17, 2020 06:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Amber Autry
04:01 May 02, 2020

AHHH! You have a wonderful mind for scary stories. Great job

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.