2 comments

Christian Inspirational Speculative

     " Clank! Clank!" Reagan Alexander sighed loudly as the guard grunted and pushed on the release door of the Sally port at Garret County Correctional Facility. He had only been there ninety days on a probation violation this time. He was arrested for public intoxication again. Judge Rinehart scolded him and warned him if he got in any trouble of any kind again he better ready for prison. He had thanked God that Rinehart showed him that much mercy.

     His relapse was a direct consequence of him falling out of his recovery meetings and not continuing in his daily relationship with the Almighty. He was new to his faith having only giving his life to Jesus Christ during his last stretch of incarceration. He thought about how wonderful and high he felt and would have never imagined losing being so easily pulled from the magnetic attachment. His sponsor Joey would tell him to be careful but Reagan was foolish and the warning fell on deaf ears.

     He had been fired on a Friday afternoon. He was high on oxycodone and sipping Jack Daniels by happy hour. Jessica his girlfriend of nearly five years encouraged him like she always did but he saw something different in her eyes this time. Something he'd never seen before and somehow he knew if it happened again she was leaving for good. The following week she was able to get him an interview for a foreman position with an old high school friend she spoke highly of.

     " Reagan I'm really going out on a limb asking Beau Ackerman to help me get you a job. He is well connected around here and his ties to most everyone I know," she explained.

     " I promise I won't mess up this time baby. I love you and one day I wanna marry you. Maybe have some rugrats , get us three bedroom and a white Pickett fence," Reagan responded. Then he gave his trademark wink and smiled.

     " I know you have big plans in that handsome head of yours. I just hope you have the perseverance  to see it through. I tell you what though big honey. Why don't we go to the Salvation Army. See if we can find you something nice for your interview. They picked up several button down shirts he could use for work,some nice slacks, and a pair of dress shoes. A stroke of luck and Jessica's superior shopping skills had even led them to find a flashy black sports coat with a cross and some various symbols sewed on the pocket. The coolest part was right above the pocket emblazoned in gold lettering was his name, Reagan.

     This would be the nicest thing he'd ever worn;  especially to a job interview. He went into the interview feeling good about things; however, the jerk just talked down to him and implied he would never be good enough for Jessica. Reagan remembered leaving there furious. He woke up the next morning in jail. The worst part being in the last ninety days Jessica had not written a letter , visited ,or even accepted a call.

     Caleb Reagan sat in the parking lot of Belvedere First Baptist Church and mission. Behind the church was a homeless mission and shelter. His father had poured his heart and life into doing the Lord's work as pastor and administrator. Caleb loved the place for childhood memories but was jealous of the time his father devoted to the place. This caused him to rebel at an early age leading down a very destructive path fueled by drinking and drugs.  Methamphetamine was his preference. 

     It had barely been two years since he'd gotten back in church and taken that lonely walk down the aisle to the altar to make things right with God. Several months ago his father passed from a massive heart attack. He'd learned to confide in his dad especially when he was struggling with his addiction. Today was especially bad.

     His family had never been so proud and supportive since that life changing day. He even began speaking with his brother Adam again. His mother never seemed to stop smiling when she saw him nowadays. Caleb will never forget his old man's words before he baptized him.

     " In the book of Luke Jesus tells the parable of the prodigal son. Today I am living proof that those words written over two thousand years ago still apply today. Our God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Patricia, Adam , and myself have long awaited for Caleb to find his way home. Well family of Christ my son is here.Hallelujah!" Franklin Reagan shouted to the congregation.

     Then he took off the sports coat Caleb gave him last year for Father's Day that displayed the family crest on the pocket and their last name. Frank then put his hand over Caleb's face and orated, " I baptize thee in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost." Then he dunked him. Caleb remembers the tears of joy he saw on his daddy's proud face that day.

     Today he would give anything to see those reassuring eyes again. He was frustrated from trying to track down that sports coat. Not to mention he hurt his back lifting plywood on one of his businesses job sites earlier during the week. These were ingredients to a recipe for disaster and he was having a really hard time shaking the urges. 

    His grief lp took him to his parents house to ask his mother the whereabouts. She explained it was in some things she gave Adam to donate to the mission. He hoped his brother Adam, who was now running things like his father, might know where to find the black coat. That coat was the nicest thing he ever gave his dad. He felt if he found it, maybe wore it he might find some comfort.

     Caleb turned off the ignition. He looked towards the steeple then up in the clouds. Taking a long breath he began talking to the sky. 

     " Daddy, I'm so sorry I didn't appreciate you the way I should have. I used to blame you for so much that was wrong in my life not realizing you were my greatest ally. I used to think you worked in ministry so you didn't have to participate more in my life. Then you were being too strict. Then I thought you didn't like me. As I got older and bad off on the mess. I thought maybe you were embarrassed by me.

     It never occurred to me you were my best friend. I didn't realize that until I found salvation. I could talk to you about anything then and staying clean didn't come so hard. In such a short time though you left me. I'm trying everything to make you proud. But it's hard. I really miss you today."

    " Ring!Ring " He pulled his cell phone from his jacket pocket. It was Westside Jimmy ; a mid level drug dealer from a beat up part of town. Caleb ignored it. He knew Jimmy had some good product he was unloading around town. You could see the evidence around a little corner store down the block from Jimmy's house. Everyone has the same crazy eyed glare and wants to borrow two dollars. Caleb silenced it and returned it to his pocket. 

     He pulled the keys from the ignition and opened the door. Next he stepped out and began a power walk in search of Adam. He found him in the overnight room putting a bag in a trash can. Caleb approached with authority.

     " Hey Adam! " He shouted.

     " Hey little brother! "Adam responded.  " Why the long face?" He asked Caleb.

     " I have an important question?" He informed him.

     '' Go ahead Caleb.Ask?" Adam state

     " Do you remember that nice black sports coat I bought Pop a while back?" He inquired of his brother.

     " Of course I do. It was his favorite. Mom put it in some donations I put out here. If I recall correctly. " Adam recalled from memory.

     " That's what mom said. Where is it now? Do you know?" Caleb questioned despairingly.  

    " I'm pretty sure nobody here messed with it from the pile. So I put it with a few other items I offer to the Salvation Army. In the thrift store business they are the best around. I'm sorry Caleb, I should have thought of you before I did that," he reported.

     " I damn sure wish you would have!" Caleb snapped at Adam.

     " I'm really sorry Caleb.  I knew it would be a treasure to them. Dad would have liked that," he stated.

     Caleb agreed that was true but still wanted the jacket back. He eased across the large gymnasium size room and settled in the house manager chair by the entryway. Caleb began to cry a little when a text notification sounded. He pulled his phone out.

      It was Jimmy." I have got a chunk of the best product I ever had. I'll front you a half a pound. You can double your money in no time. I miss your mug around here." These words made up the message. Caleb could taste dope in his saliva like when he used to smoke it. 

     He looked up and Adam was already chewing out one of the night's residents. Caleb wiped his face. Grasped his phone and headed for the exit. He really needed to feel his Father or he was afraid of what he might do.

     Reagan reached his old home; an apartment he shared with Jessica. He made his way down the hall to their apartment on the second floor. He stood there unsure if she would be home or not. Finally he exhaled and knocked. 

     " Who is it?"  Jessica responded.

     " It's me Jess!'' he answered.

     " You can't stay here, Reagan Alexander. You can't come back right now until you get it together on your own. I have a bag I packed for you. I'll give it to you but then you have to go," she responded in distress and in a few moments opened the door. She held out a large gym style bag that held clothes and hygiene stuff as well as his bible. She never looked up into his eyes.

     The pain hit him harder than he believed. He felt like he was in a sad old Hollywood heartbreak movie. It destroyed him inside. Jail had been easier. In fact nothing had ever been harder inside his heart. He quietly accepted the bag and said his peace.

     " I'm sorry. I'm going to go get myself some help. I can be better Jessica," Reagan choked out.

     " You'll have to do that. At least more months to a year," She stated sternly.

     '' He reached for her hand and she didn't pull away. " I'll let you know where I'm at . Maybe you could check on me.'' he half questioned and half implied then kissed her hand.

     " Maybe," answered Jessica, pulling away and  closing the door.

    He turned and headed outside where he spent the next good hour wandering aimlessly. When his bearings finally kicked in he was only a few blocks from Westside Jimmy's. He knew Meth was Jimmy's big money; however, he dabbled in all of it and had a personal sweet tooth for oxycontin himself.

     With no money and no place to go. The only place he wanted to be was high. Addiction began taking over his legs as he walked to Jimmy's. Jimmy might let him crash there. He had before but Jimmy was a little bipolar. He'd ask.

     Caleb parked the truck across the street from Westside Jimmy's house. It was a beige little two bedroom in a rundown neighborhood. He could still hear his father in his head. It was louder than before it seemed. He turned out the ignition and checked the rearview mirror. A man turned the corner. He appeared to have on a black coat. That was just another dig towards his spirit and emotions.

     Caleb watched the man approach. Like a dream the pocket even seemed to hold the family crest. Caleb seemed intoxicated momentarily. Reagan power walked with his head down . He was sweating in the long sleeve sports jacket due to weather change during incarceration. He passed a green Dodge work truck with a man in the front seat.

    As the younger guy passed him the  family name and crest seemed so real that Caleb rolled down the window and yelled," Stop!"

     The man turned with a serious " What man?"  response.

     " What does your jacket say?" Caleb Reagan asked Reagan Alexander.

     Confused, he answered, " My name; Reagan. Why?"

     " Holy crap!" Shouted Caleb. A chill shot down his spine and he got goosebumps  all over his arms and legs . He knew this was divine intervention and he was in the presence of ordinance carried about one of the Lord's Angels. He could feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in him.

     " I'll give you $200 for the Jacket," offered Caleb.

       Reagan was shocked and suddenly saw a different way out all of a sudden. He could get a motel while looking for a halfway house for addicts. The Big Castle Inn was $65. That gave him a few nights. He was tired of letting Jessica down. If he wanted her he had to show it and the buck stopped there.

     " You have a deal. May I ask why so much money?" Reagan asked Caleb as he watched the man exit his truck and pull his wallet.

     " It belonged to a great man I knew. I want it," answered Caleb as he mentally counted out money from his wallet and paid Reagan.

     Regan counted the money and slipped his shoulders from the jacket. " Here," he said handing the black sports jacket to the guy in front of him.

     " Thank you ," was all Caleb could muster putting on the close fitting jacket. He felt wrapped in the arms of an angel. " You said it had your name?" he questioned.

     "Reagan Alexander," he responded with a handout. The other man laughed howling at the sky. Caleb caught his breath and explained the whole story to the man. Feeling better himself Reagan explained his situation and asked Caleb for a ride.

     " I'm fresh outta jail . I'm looking for a place to stay and a job. I hate to ask but could you drop me off at a motel to stay at  the Big Castle while I do some checking around," asked Reagan.

     Like lightning, a solution hit Caleb and he responded to Reagan's question," Would you sleep in a mission at a church and I'll give you a job. I could use extra help. I'll help you out. Maybe get you on your feet. We work hard so I'll pay you accordingly."

     " That would be awesome!" Regan shouted gleefully.

     " Well get in the truck," directed Caleb. Both made their way into the cab of the truck. He asked Regan before cranking the work truck," Do you mind if I say a quick prayer?"

     " No . Go ahead," answered Reagan Alexander.

     " I thank you Lord for  divine intervention. Thank you for revelation. You are a mighty God who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Lord I ask you be with each one of us everyday. Realizing days will get hard but nothing can't be overcome living one day at a time.We must also repay kindness to our brothers around us. Your wonderful kindness passed along. Please pour out serenity and mercy on us to use against our demon of addiction. Help us to Just Say No. Thank you Jesus! Amen! Hallelujah!"

April 04, 2023 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cassidy Lee
08:11 Apr 04, 2023

Does anyone like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cassidy Lee
08:11 Apr 04, 2023

My first attempt at prompt

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.