The Light's Still On......

Submitted into Contest #165 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “This is all my fault.”... view prompt

1 comment

Christian Contemporary Romance

At last, Becky was qualified. Yes, Becky Adams was now a nurse, SRN! Thrilled, she raced with the other newbie nurses to check their first assignment in their workplace. Becky had applied to nurse in the central hospital, Smallville General. Night shift! Oh, it could have been a lot worse. She had been assigned to a rotation as a night nurse in the Orthopedic ward. Becky accepted it, and was determined to put her best foot forward. She headed off home to her unit to prepare for her flash career, finally a nurse.

It was the evening of her first night on duty. Becky looked at her appearance. She had always wanted to be a lot slimmer and taller. She was only a short stop, but some boys thought she was shapely. Becky's large blue eyes were set off by her long curly blonde hair, tied back in a pony tail descending down her back. She did not take much notice of her cute nose. But she had an engaging smile that lit up her whole face.

This was her first job as a nurse, to earn a salary at last, after all that study and those exhausting placements. Becky was so keen to start her professional career.

Arriving early to make a good impression, Becky was a bit startled to realize her charge nurse was a male. It was not that unusual, she told herself. Becky had been brought up a certain way. She had found some boys in the city to be binge-drinkers and quite inarticulate. But here was her boss. Bobby was his name, a stereotype. He was tall, dark, and incredibly handsome.

He, too, had a pony tail of long, dark, curly hair, nearly as long as hers. Bobby welcomed his new nursing associate with a smile and a wink. He had warm, glowing brown eyes, with his tanned complexion and dazzling grin. Becky's breath turned slightly shallow, but her genuine compassion for her patients quickly had her focused on her duties.

Bobby's glance lingered on Becky as their nights passed by. Becky was learning on the job as well. She soon mastered the routines of the expectations of a night nurse. Most of their patients were in bed at night, hopefully each having a 'slept all night'. At the end of the long evenings, Bobby and Becky wrote up their nursing notes, seated in the dark office at the nurses' station.

There was only a subdued night light. The atmosphere at that hour was strangely intimate, an island of calm in the usually bustling hospital.

Becky soon grew to be Bobby's fan, impressed by his expertise and professional attitudes. She dreamed a lot, when she was home alone in her modest two-bedroom unit. Would this ever develop into more than a friendship? Was Bobby even interested in her? There were other things to think about for her.

Becky joined a local interfaith organization, to overcome equality issues in the community. She was telling Bobby about it one evening, but all he said was, "Don't get too religious." Becky muttered, "Do not be a doormat! The light's still on for everyone today. The church needs more healers."

Bobby's hand brushed hers. "Doormat is the last word for you." Becky held her breath. Her heartbeat was so loud, she thought Bobby could her.

Suddenly, he leaned across and softly kissed her cheek, only briefly. Time stood still, as he asked her, "Would you like to have dinner with me on Saturday night? It's not a work night....." Becky was dumbfounded. Huskily, she agreed to their first date.

So began Becky and Bobby's big romance. They soon became inseparable at work and in their time-off. There were dinners, movies, beach picnics, country drives. Bobby was trying very hard to explore biology with her, but Becky held back, keeping her passions under a lid. Her faith was simple and strong, but she did not preach too much to Bobby.

Becky was in love, and very confident her feelings were reciprocated. She phoned her folks in the bush once a week. "It's all good, she told her younger sister on one of their chats .Her career at Smallville General too her on a variety of rotations through different aspects on nursing.

Then, on one shift, in waltzed a new matron, young Eloise. She definitely had boy entrancers, filling up her nurse's uniform beautifully. Soon every male in the hospital was instantly smitten with lust for her. "Why?" wondered some nurses at their nursing station.

"Good question," Becky was thinking, as her supervisor strolled past her. Eloise wafted a seductive fragrance, which did nothing for Becky, but even the male patients were eyeing off Eloise.

Seduction was Eloise's middle name. She was a fiery redhead, with a halo of flame around the knowing expression in her emerald eyes. Bobby had entered the ward, and walked straight over to the sensual Eloise. Becky felt quite mousy by comparison, quietly seething as Eloise chatted up Bobby. He was not, Becky noticed, offering much resistance to Eloise. She was hot!

Becky tried to summon up some Christian tolerance. "They're only discussing work," she told herself, "We are all professional healers." Even though Bobby was a handsome toff, Becky had felt so secure as the hospital's 'cutest couple'. Soulmates in love, or were they?

Impulsively, Bobby phoned Beccy on a Thursday night, to suggest a really special Friday night dinner date at the most expensive restaurant in Smallville. Becky went along with his idea, secretly hoping he was over Eloise. Becky was still dreaming of a white church wedding, doves and a happy honeymoon. Bobby wanted to paint the town, so Becky went on a whirlwind tour of Smallville, searching for a new frock and shoes.

Would wedding bells be in the air? Becky hoped all this waiting would be worth it. Frocked up for her big date, Becky was no Eloise, but looked okay. Bobby collected Becky in his car, while she wondered about the reason for this special occasion. Becky soon discovered his secret agenda.

Delish! The entrees and main course were enticing and soon eaten. The wine was vintage. Becky was feeling quite relaxed, but definitely intrigued. Sipping her wine, as the creme brulee was served for desserts, she was hoping for her long cherished desires, a white wedding with Bobby.

One spoonful of her delicious French custard was consumed, as she listened, aghast.

Bobby unloaded his bombshell. He had laid down his spoon, gazed deep into Becky's trusting blue eyes, and informed her he was going away the next morning with Eloise. Saturday, he was heading off with the fiery matron in her red sports car, for a weekend nursing conference!

Becky gulped and glared at him. She was not thinking very Christian thoughts at that moment in time. She thought she could her heart break into little shattered pieces. Stunned into a reaction, she swiftly grabbed her remaining creme brulee, and tipped it into Bobby's appealing, long dark, curly hair. She rubbed in the goo, and smacked him in the face, yelling at the top of her voice,

"Take that, you cheating mongrel!"

There was spontaneous applause from the other diners, as Becky stormed from the posh restaurant, calling back,

"I never want to see you again!"

"Good for you," said the waitress, "Good for you."

That was that. " All over, Red Rover," Beccy told herself, as her anger abated. She lay alone on her couch that fateful night, sobbing in desolation about her misplaced trust. Love, Cupid, Wedding Bells. Ha! Verbs flew in her lounge room.

When she awoke, the weather had turned, to match her mood. It was a cliche, dark, raining, teeming, thunder, cold, miserable. Now what? She was not game to share Bobby's cheating heart with her girlfriends or family. She viewed old soapies on TV, then checked her happy "Becky and Bobby" photo album. She wondered where her love had flown. Her eyes were bloodshot and red, her throat was raw from all her tears.

Becky tossed and turned all the next night, imagining dreadful happy snaps of Bobby and Eloise, alone at last. Eventually, she called her dear old understanding Dad, down there on the farm. "Never mind, love. Isn't that what nurses say?" "Yes, never mind," she agreed croakily.

Big decision time for Becky. She was torn between heading home to the rustic scene, her love life in tatters. Or she could stay in Smallville, only another ex. Then she put her big girl booties on, saying to herself, "Now pull yourself together. Stop sniveling. Get on with life. It was a chapter in my life, that's all. Rot in hell, Bobby!" Becky was talking to herself, but, hey, there was no one there all right.

She decided to take her overdue holidays at home, on the family farm. Just as she was packing her suitcase and bags, she heard someone pounding on her front door. "Who? No, couldn't be!" Her grief was replaced by good healthy anger at Bobby's rejection.

Becky peeped through her security door. Yes, Bobby. She was furious. "Rak off. I told you I never wanted to see you again!"

Bobby started pleading. "That's not very Christian!" "Good," yelled Becky, " I'll pray for you. I am going to be a nun!"

At this, saturated Bobby was trying not to laugh. "Becky, I am freezing and drenched. Please let me in, I shall explain. I am so cold." Becky was still cross. "Go and cuddle Eloise if you're so cold. I hope you both get Herpes!"

Now they both laughed. Bobby stood there on her doorstep, sniveling. "Look, nothing happened. This is all my fault. She is having an affair with the Urologist."

"Apt!" Becky laughed, "that will be hot gossip." Bobby said, "I was an idiot, that's all. I swear I will never look at another woman. I realized it is you I love."

Becky could not help herself. She switched on the light in the gloom, saying with a smile, "The light is still on for you. Men!" She had never seen anyone so damp. But Bobby was quickly dried off, changing into other clothes.

Bobby's apologies finally wound down. Becky glanced at him, peeping at him shyly. He was still her honey. It was now, sort of funny. She and Bobby could always laugh together, Anyone can make mistakes.

Becky succumbed to her true heart, kind and forgiving. She still believed that Bobby was her soulmate. She melted into his arms, as they embraced. Just then, the rain suddenly stopped, brilliant sunshine emerged. Maybe the convent could wait.

Bobby led Becky over to her plate-glass window,. He swept her into his arms, as they embraced and kissed. Sparks tingled, as he murmured, "The world needs more lovers too. Marry me, we shall be a team for the rest of our lives. Becky, I love you."

Becky sighed and agreed. Her dreams were going to come true, thanks to Cupid making healers in love. They kissed again, hugging, a couple of true soulmates. They were silhouetted in the sunset, blazing now in the horizon. They would be forever as one, love is beautiful. Like the Lord, her light stayed on.....

September 23, 2022 19:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Trebor Mack
02:32 Oct 01, 2022

I haven't checked your bio, as yet, but one question..... are you an Aussie? Your writing style is why I ask the question. Your spellchecker missed two instances where you meant 'hear' but ended up with 'her.' I am giving you a like but I can tell by the ending of your story, Bobby will have Becky twisted around his little finger from hereon. Not a bloke's story. Definitely one for the sheilas!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.