0 comments

General

August 5, 2016

Dear Nova,


I can’t believe high school is over. Can you believe it? We’re in college! Although, I didn’t expect you to move so far away. Why do you have to go to the other side of the world? I know you’re trying to escape, and I’m happy for you. You’re living your dream! You’ll be a brilliant chef, I know it.


Do you remember the first time you came to school? You gave us all of your cookies to get on our “good side," whatever that means. But boy am I glad I ate that cookie! It was one of the best I ever had.


I’ll miss your cookies. I’ll miss you even more. (but yeah, I’ll miss your cookies).


Sincerely,

Your best friend who you better not forget,

Fabian.


……………………………………………….


October 13, 2016

Dear Nova,


It’s great to hear you’re having fun there! But your parents are worried. Why haven’t you called them ever since you got there? I know you guys aren’t that close, but come on! Talk to them sometime! They miss you. We miss you. Don’t make this harder for them. And no, I am not siding with them. I can see you rolling your eyes. And yes, I know you're giving me that sigh as you read this.


I know what they did was horrible. But they’re still your parents. Talk to them. Call me when you’re free. You know I’m always here for you.


Sincerely,

You better not bail on me when you read this email,

Fabian.


…………………………………………………………………………………………..


January 3, 2017

Dear Nova,


Helloooooo! Are you there? You haven’t replied to any of our emails, or calls, or texts! We missed you! You didn’t even call or text us during the holidays. Japan isn't keeping you caged there, right? Because if they were, you know I’d fly over and kick all of their asses, right?


I’m kidding! I’d run away the moment they crack their knuckles and stare at me. (By the way, you were right, Death Note is a GREAT series.)


But where are you? I understand the part you want to cut off your parents. I can’t say I agree, but I understand. You love them, but you can’t keep them in your life anymore.


But what about your sister? She’s freaking out, and she won’t tell me why. I don’t know if it’s because of her new boyfriend (she broke up with Jaden if you don't know yet), or if it’s about the school, or if it’s about what’s happening in the family. I know you’re the only one who can get through to her. So please. Do us a favor. Call. Her.


I thought you won’t bail on us, Nova. We love you. We’re worried. And I know you’re happy there in Japan. You get to have that freedom. The government there is excellent, compared to the crappy one we have here. But damn it, you can’t cut us out of your life like that.


Call me. I mean it. I love you.


Sincerely,

Someone who is extremely worried and borderline pissed,

Fabian.


…………………………………


June 28, 2017

Dear Nova,


First, can I just say, thank GOD you replied!


Your sister is doing so much better. Your family is coping up. I know you don’t like it when I mention them, but they live as though you have died. I know it’s not my place, but can’t you at least call them? I know you have no plans of going back here. You already told me that much over the phone. But they’re still family. And yes, I know they’re not the best. They don’t deserve to be in the hall of fame in your life. But call them. Ask them how they are doing. That’s all I’m asking.


Speaking of family and you not coming back here, I CANNOT believe you have no plans of coming back here! You’re breaking my heart. Do you hear it crack? It did. Probably still breaking. But I love you. We love you. And if that’s what it takes for you to be happy, I’ll respect that.


We love you, chef. Go reach for your dreams. Never look back. I’ll be cheering for you.


Sincerely,

Your friend,

Fabian.


…………………………………………….


April 30, 2018

Dear Nova,


Okay, before we do anything else, grab your glass and champagne and let’s celebrate, because girl, you did it!


Congratulations on your promotion, chef Nova! I know, I know, “I’m not there yet!” Whatever! Sous Chef is good enough. Did you call your parents yet about this? I know they’ll be happy with the news!


When I go to Japan, you better take me to your restaurant! You are going places!


I’m proud of you.


Sincerely,

Fabian.


……………………………………………………………………


May 4, 2019


Dear Nova,


It’s funny how the universe brings us to full circle. I’m so glad I got to see you last weekend! Who knew that Paris would be the place where we’d meet again. And you offered me a cookie! It tastes better, but I still like the first cookie you gave me.


Congratulations on your scholarship. You deserve it. I know you’re stuck at home but hey! You get to experiment on foods! And your lover boy is the poor man who has to taste your experiments!


He loves you; you know? You don’t know this, but back in high school, I took the cookie not because I wanted to eat it, (although duh it was part of it), but it was because of your smile. Everything good we saw in you back then until now, he sees in you, too. He’ll treat you right. I know he will.


I know everything has changed. But I’m grateful. We get to reach our dreams. I get to become an awesome journalist who gets to travel all over the world. You get to be this legendary chef who, from what I hear, is the top of the culinary class.


We’re both going places. We won’t see each other for a long time. Heck, we might not even email or message each other as much anymore. But hey, that’s life. We’ve been each other through heaven, and hell, and even purgatory. I just thank God we got to see each other again, even if it was by accident.


Your home is in doing the things you love. And I’m glad you found it. I’m glad you have something and someone to go home to.


Until the next accidental meet-up!


Sincerely,

Your former home,

Fabian.

May 08, 2020 13:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.