4 comments

General

“Can you keep a Secret?” my brother, Kurt asked me, and I immediately said to him “Sure. What’s up?” as I shrugged my shoulders in a sisterly manor as if it was a given that I’d keep a secret for him. 

Uwe boy little did I know how difficult this secret was going to be to keep. The timing couldn’t be worse either. Dad and I are about to go on a father, daughter vacation together. 

Mom felt it was important that I get to have this special memory with just my dad as her, I and my brother have gone on lots of vacations without dad. He was always back home working. So now he was taking this time out for me. He already had a vacation with Kurt. We are going on a cruise to the Caribbean. 

Can’t wait. It should be fun. Lots of fun. I just hope that I can keep this secret until Kurt is ready to tell it. It won’t be soon enough as far as I’m concerned. This secret is too big to keep and too important to wait to tell it. 

When we get back, Mom is taking Cheryl, Kurt’s girlfriend, or should I say his fiancé, to Florida for a 'get to know you better type of holiday'. Mom is hoping to bond with her. She wants to be a good mother-in-law and have a relationship with Cheryl the way she has with her mother-in-law. Mom calls her mom and I think she is hoping that Cheryl will feel that way to call her mom too. Cheryl doesn’t strike me as the type of girl to call anyone other than her own mom, mom. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong. 

Getting ready for the cruise and the building excitement was putting the secret to the back of my mind. I almost didn't think of it at all anymore. Well, at least not when I was busy packing and talking to mom and dad about the cruise, but when I was alone, that was a different story. It was on my mind all the time. I tried to kid myself, that I wasn’t thinking about it so much, but I was. I was just grateful for the times that something else became foremost on my mind. 

The day finally arrived for us to trek down the 401 to the Toronto airport. The drive was more casual conversation with mom and dad going over the things that mom had to deal with at the business while dad was gone away, with her saying "Yes, Bill, I know Bill. Don't worry Bill, I know what to do and if it's something that I don't know how to handle, it can wait a week until you get home. Or Kurt and I will deal with it together. Don't worry." I'm sure mom was hoping that dad would drive with his normal quick speed and we'd arrive at the airport in no time. 

I don't know what dad was so worried about. Mom has been involved in the business just as long as he has. She says she's been full time longer than him as he continued working at his full-time job while she worked for the business from day 1. Therefore, her standing joke is that she's got more seniority than he does. However, I know that it's this way every time before we go away on any vacation. Its' either mom worrying about what dad's going to do while she is away with us or now dad worrying while he is away. Heaven help us when we all go away, it becomes a nightmare to get to our destination. 

We made it through to the airport in pretty good time. Hopping out of the car and grabbing our suitcases with quick kisses goodbye and final instructions we were finally on our way. Mom drove off with another wave and we went into the airport. 

Customs went smoothly. Hardly any line ups and waiting time. Then with only enough time to hit the washrooms and take a deep breath, our flight was called for boarding. I wasn't too worried about being on the plane with dad and slipping up because I knew that between the movie and dad falling asleep there would be little conversation to let anything slip by my lips. A huge sigh of relief. 

I wasn't worried about our arrival in Florida either as I knew that getting off the plane, going through customs there and catching a taxi, then boarding the cruise ship was going to keep our conversation generalized. 

I was right. We've managed to get into our room without any slip-ups on my part. Our room isn't great, but we have a porthole to look at the water or possibly the islands when we dock, but heck, who is going to stay in their room anyway? Not me, that's for sure! I plan on exploring as soon as I can. 

By the time we got settled into our room, it was time to find the dining room and have our supper. I was famished. It has been a long day with no snacking. 

The Maitre d showed us to our table that we would be sharing with other couples on the cruise. We could have every meal there or just go in for the dinner if we wanted to. It was more formal and there were other restaurants that we could eat at if we chose to. 

Dad, being dad had to introduce us to everyone, which is fine, I expected that, but I didn't expect him to blunder and say that I was his wife and then quickly correct it to his daughter. Everyone laughed at the mistake, but I know my face was red because it made me feel like they thought I was with my sugar daddy or something like that. I mean geez, what would you think if some older man was with a teenaged girl and started to say 'This is my wife Mar.., I mean daughter Amberlyn."? 

Overall, the cruise was a lot of fun. Dad embarrassed me a few times, but I expected that; that's just dad, being dad. You must know him to know what he is like. I can give you an example. 

We arrived in Dominica and rather than take a tour, dad says the only way to see the island is to see where the people live themselves and see their stores that they shop in, not the touristy stores, that doesn't tell you anything about their culture. So, we hop in a taxi and dad starts talking to the driver. " Hi I'm Bill. This is my daughter Amberlyn. What's your name sir?" I can't understand his English to tell what he said his name is, but dad keeps talking, telling him that we are from Canada and doing this trip together, then he asks the driver if he knew the 'flying nuns? "Flying nuns?' the driver asked. "No, I know of no Flying nun's sir." 

"Sure, they were on tv and they were from here and they always sang the song Dominica." Dad proceeds to sing the song. ohhh boyyyy! I know my face is flaming red at this point. The driver goes "no sir. I don't know about the flying nuns, but that song is our national anthem!" he beams at dad because dad knows the country's national anthem and he sings along with him. 

Overall, the trip was great. I shopped, laid around the pool and we went sight-seeing at every port. When dad didn't join me at the pool, he was up in the casino playing poker. He won a fair bit and bought mom a nice sapphire and diamond bracelet as a souvenir gift. Lucky mom! 

On one of the islands I saw some nice baby items and thought they would be cute to buy, but when dad asked why I was looking at that stuff, I answered "just thought they were cute but I don't know anyone expecting a baby, but isn't this just adorable and imagine it being from the Caribbean, to give to someone as a gift." Dad didn't seem to think it was a necessary purchase, so I left it behind. However, I really did think it was cute and would be something nice to give to someone. 

The week slipped by so fast. It seemed like it was forever away for the end of the week, but it was our last night. Dad went up to the casino while I sat by the pool, and another dad thing happened that I had no idea was happening at the time. Dad learned that the company that owned the cruise line sold it to another company and everyone that was employed on that ship had to be off in the morning the same as we had to, they departed as we were. All the casino workers were in shock. They had nowhere to go. Some were from England, some from other countries, but no one was from the states where we were docking. Dad offered all 8 of them to come home with us. Stay with us for a while, until they got on their feet or found jobs to earn the money to get home to their own country. They just had to find their flight to Toronto and Dad would arrange for mom to bring our passenger van to pick up all of us. Hmm Dad how is that going to work? Our van holds 8. 8 casino workers, dad and I equal 10 plus mom is 11 …  

They didn't believe that he would offer something like that but were very thankful to know that they had somewhere to go. It sounded like they were going to accept his offer. Dad called mom once we departed and asked her to come with the van. Dad didn't tell mom the real reason to bring the van. Instead, he had to say "Marilyn, what vehicle are you bringing?" 

"I was planning on bringing the car, why?" 

"Can you bring the van instead?" 

"Sure, but why?" 

"I got you something that is going to need the van to get it home." 

"Oh, is it that big of a souvenir that I need a van?" 

"Yes, it is. You'll be surprised, it's actually 8 live souvenirs." 

"Oh, I can hardly wait. Live souvenirs…what on earth could it be?" 

"You'll have to wait to see. I'm glad I caught you before you left. I know that our flight is 2 hours and it should only take about 1 1/2 hours for you but I figured with possible traffic problems you might have left by now and I didn't know what the weather was like up there." 

"Oh the weather is fine, so driving should be good. I was about to leave, but I wasn't worrying about the time, because I figured if I did hit traffic problems that you'd be fine inside the airport waiting for me." 

"OK, see you in a couple of hours. Drive safe." 

"OK, see you soon." 

They hang up. Then dad sees the ship casino employees and finds out that all but one made other arrangements. Dave was going to come home with us. He was from England and didn't get hired onto any other ship or didn't want to spend time in the states as some of the others did or were doing. So, he was coming with us.  

Dad decided to call mom again. 

"Hi honey, glad you're still home." 

"You just caught me; I was going out the door when the phone rang. I hesitated for a minute deciding whether or not to answer it, but I'm glad I did." 

"I was just calling to tell you that you don't have to bring the van, the car will do." 

"Oh why, I thought we needed the space the van provided for the live souvenirs." 

"Well, the live souvenirs will not be as many as I first thought. I'll explain when we get home. But the one that is coming with us I couldn't leave behind because it's a guy coming to live with us. Amberlyn fell madly in love with him and him with her and it is either bring him home with us or she might stay with him." 

"What???" Mom shouted into the phone. "You're bringing a young man home with you?" 

"Yep. Like I said, I couldn't let her stay behind with him, could I?" 

"NO, of course not. I'm still bringing the van." I just let Kurt and Cheryl take the car to go shopping." 

"OK, but this young man, his name is Dave and he has to take a different flight than us, so can you keep an eye out for him?" 

"Sure, but I have no idea what he looks like." 

"It's ok. I've told him to wait in the arrivals waiting area and that we'd find him. I'm sure that he won't go anywhere in a strange country. By the way, he's from England. He's quite nice." 

"I certainly hope so, if he's going to be involved with our daughter." 

"Ok, I'll see you soon. Love you." 

"Yes, I love you too." 

Mom made it to Toronto and parked the van before anyone arrived at the airport. 

She was standing there watching people, not knowing what flight Dave was on but knew that one from Florida just landed so she kept watching. One young man seemed very self-conscious. Mom walked up to him and asked; "Excuse me, is your name Dave?"   

"Yes." 

"Are you meeting Bill and Amberlyn here?" 

"Yes. Are you Bill's wife?"   

"Yes, I am. Welcome to Canada. We can wait for them here. They haven't arrived yet."  

"Okay."  

Mom and Dave chatted and very shortly afterwards, we arrived. I scooted out of the lineup really fast. I knew my dad. I wasn't waiting around for another embarrassing moment if I could help it. I made it through customs with no problem and out of the way of dad arriving at the top of the escalator. I just got a glimpse of mom and Dave through a window and waved to them when dad appeared at the top, in his bright red shorts and sandals on his feet. Yelled "taadaa!" throwing out his arms and jumping onto the floor off the escalator. I was so glad that I wasn't near enough to him for people to know that we were together.  You have to know that it is winter time in Canada and we just got home from the Caribbean, so other travelers seeing my dad in shorts in the middle of the winter with sandals on his feet, was a sight that no one was expecting to see.  

We all chatted on the way home, getting to know each other. 

When we arrived at home, Kurt and Cheryl were there waiting for us. We had a family dinner together and showed Dave where his room was. Then mom being a mom, had Dave call his mom in England so that she could talk to her and put her mind at ease about where her son was staying. By now, mom knew that dad was just leading her on about the reason for Dave coming to Canada. She now knew the full story. She was more than willing to have him stay with us. This was something that wasn't new to my parents. They have always had someone live with them from 1 week after they were married. It's like we have an open room policy for anyone needing a place to lay their head. Mom sometimes jokes and says that there is a hotel vacancy sign on our roof that everyone else can see but she can't find the plug to turn it off.  

March was getting close and Cheryl was a little worried about her trip to Florida with my mom.  

Kurt and Cheryl decided it was time to have a talk with mom and dad.  So, taking the bull by the horns, Kurt and Cheryl came around to their office one Friday evening and said that they needed to talk to them, tonight.   

Mom and dad sat down with them and said, "No time like the present."  So, with that they all sat down to have a little conversation. 

"Well," Kurt said, "we've been trying to have this conversation with you for a while now and there never seems to be the right time."   

"What is it you want to talk about?" mom asked 

"Well, I don't know quite how to say it." Kurt paused and looked at Cheryl. Cheryl looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there. "Well, Cheryl and I are expecting. Cheryl is 6 months along." 

"What, this is great Kurt, but why didn't you tell us sooner?" mom said. 

"Well, like I said, the time was never right. First, Dad and I were going to Japan and I was afraid that if you knew then, Dad and you would say we couldn't afford to go, and I wanted to go. Then, it was Christmas and all the family were coming up from Nova Scotia. Next, Amberlyn and dad were going on the cruise, so it never seemed to be a good time." 

Cheryl piped up and said, "I knew we had to tell you now because you might be mad and not want to go to Florida with me anymore, now that you know."  

"Not go? Are you kidding me? Florida is the perfect place to shop for baby items." mom said excitedly.  

Mom and dad called me to join them and we all went out to celebrate. This is one secret that I'm glad that I didn't let out and that Kurt finally shared with our parents. 

August 22, 2020 03:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Wally Schmidt
18:15 Mar 22, 2023

Marilyn I loved the way you gave us a low slow burn before letting us in on the secret. It certainly kept my attention. In our household growing up, every single conversation between my siblings growing up always ended with "But don't tell Mom" and out of habit even now kilometers and years apart, we still say this before hanging up on the phone. So I can really appreciate how sometimes a secret shared between siblings is the most difficult to keep. So glad the secret turned out to be a joyous one for the entire family. There's a lot to lo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
19:45 Aug 23, 2020

What a great story. Are you from Canada? It seemed like you must be to choose that as their home. I’ll admit I kind of guessed the secret when she was looking at the baby gifts but the way you told the story kept me on the edge until the end. Great job. I wrote a story called “Coming Out” using the same prompt. I’d live your feedback and I always ask for a like but only if you actually do. 😀

Reply

Marilyn Carter
21:20 Aug 23, 2020

Hi Thom, Yes, I'm from Canada. It makes sense to write about the area that I know. Yes, I'll read your story too. I'm just getting the hang of getting around in this group. It might take me awhile, but I promise I will read it and give you feed back.

Reply

Thom With An H
21:24 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks. Glad to have you. 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.