8 comments

General

"Hey, come on, it's time to go", Sophie heard her friend's voice and snapped out of her thought. She wasn't thinking about anything in particular, more of a feeling. She loved the feeling of the hot sun on her skin. It made her feel safe and comfortable. When everyone was complaining about having to wear masks in the heat, she didn't mind at all because one, she loved the feeling of warmth, it had always brought her great calm and two, masks were to protect you and others around you. She tied her braids back, they were swinging on her face and she was getting irritable. This was actually the first outing she had with her friends since the Coronavirus swept through the world for what felt like overnight. All of a sudden everything was shut down and everyone had to stay home. It was truly harrowing. A couple of months into quarantine, the government was able to flatten the curve and quarantine restrictions were eased and as the country's numbers stabilized, the more freedom people were granted.

"Girl, you were lost in thought, what's going on?", Amanda asked. She had been her best friend since the first day of college where they shared a dorm room. They instantly clicked even though they were polar opposites of each other. "You know I love the sun, I was just basking in it", she said with a smile. It felt so good to be reunited with her best friend. Face Timing wasn't enough. She needed to hug them and squeeze them and sit on them. They were on their way to Rosewood, where Sophie's mom owned a cabin. Rosewood was three hours away from the city, which was perfect for them because they loved road trips. They stacked up on food, snacks and most importantly, alcohol. They bought way too much alcohol. It felt good to be reunited. "So Mathew cheated on me", Andrew said, once the blasting music faded down. "What?", both women gasped. Sophie turned off the radio immediately. "You two were so in love. How could he?", Sophie said in total disbelief. Andrew and Mathew were such a strong and loving couple. They did everything together and loved being around each other. Or so it seemed. "Well, he said he felt like we were stuck in the same routine and that the relationship had started to feel like a chore. And I'm like no shit, it's not like we've been stuck in the Goddamn house for four months.", he's voice started to shake." Sophie quickly reached out for his hand from the front sit and squeezed it. Andrew had always been sensitive and she could tell he was really hurting. Fuck Mathew, she thought. "Okay, okay, none of this sad shit, we're going to get to the cabin and get drunk and talk shit about shitty Mathew." Amanda said, she hated showing any kind of emotion. "Soldier it out", she often said. Which was funny to Sophie because Amanda was a kindergarten teacher and was the sweetest to her learners. "Sounds like the perfect idea", Mathew agreed. Well I guess we're getting drunk tonight, Sophie thought. 

Rosewood was a naturally beautiful landmark surrounded by large, tall trees and Lake Cree which stretched about 70 km long. The cabins in the area were all modern and built in such a way that they did not disrupt the nature around them. Sophie's cabin in particular had a beautiful magnolia tree growing inside the cabin. From outside, you could see its beautiful branches stretched out of the roof. Inside, it was encased with glass around it. The cabin's interior was spectacular, with three large bedrooms with bathrooms, a spacious kitchen, a beautifully decorated lounge area, and a view to die for. "I'm in literal heaven", Andrew said dramatically falling into the couch. "Soph, why haven't I been here before? This is everything". "I honestly don't know, I guess I like the city too much", she lied. This was her special place, all her happy memories with her family were here, before it was just her and her mom. 

They settled in. Sophie went to take a shower, Andrew was on Grindr and Amanda was outside smoking. Afterwards, they cooked, Andrew was an excellent cook, drank wine around the kitchen table and decided to drink the tequila in the lounge. "So", Andrew said as they got comfortable, "I found a cute boy on Grindr and invited him over. He said he's with his friends and I invited them too". "Andrew, no, this weekend was supposed to be us catching up and mending your broken heart", Sophie said. "I know but we have two more days to do that. Tonight I don't want to feel sad. I'm tired of feeling sad. I want to have a good time with a cute boy I don't know and pretend troubles don't exist". "Fine", Amanda said, "but just because you're sad. In the meantime, let's drink and have a good time". 

The guys showed up half an hour later with pizzas and beer. Sophie, Amanda and Andrew were already pretty tipsy at this point and were more than welcoming to company. "Girls, this is Tyler '', said Andrew while mouthing "mine" to them. They all laughed. "Hey guys, this is Tom, Lee and Brandon. We're all friends' said Tyler'. Sophie was immediately drawn to Lee. He was tall with jet black hair and jet black eyes and very attractive. He looked like a young version of Daniel Dae Kim. The group all sat and played drinking games to get to know each other well. Another hour passed and they all seemed like old friends. Sophie was sitting next to Lee and occasionally their knees and elbows would touch, which made her insides hot. "You want to go up to the roof? It's getting kind of hot in here", Sophie said, surprised at herself because she was never one to take the first initiative when it came to guys. "I'd love to". They made their way to the roof. The air was refreshing, even though it was warm. The sky was filled with stars and beautifully lit by the moon. The rooftop was warm, Sophie laid on it and felt the warmth on her back. Lee followed suit. "So, a cabin in the woods weekend, how did you all lend on that one?" Lee asked. "Well, since the pandemic hit, we haven't seen each other in literally four months. So when restrictions were eased, I thought of bringing my favourite people to my favourite place”. “So this is your favourite place? I guess it would be mine too. It's beautiful out here. Kind of makes me wish I was Tyler's friend sooner". They both chuckled. "How did you all become friends?" Sophie asked, still looking up at the stars. She couldn't look at him without blushing. His voice was smooth, deep and made her whole body shiver. What is happening to you? she thought. "Well, I've known Andrew all throughout high school and college but we were never friends. But when we started working for the same company, we got close and here we are. A cabin in the woods.", he kept quiet for a moment and then said, "Okay I've said cabin in the woods twice now. I swear I'm not a serial killer*, she laughed." I was starting to get worried". "So why is this your favourite place?". 

"Sophie come ooooooooon", Sean yelled. "I'm coming. Wait for me". It was 40 degrees Celsius outside and Sophie was finding it hard to pick a swimsuit. Jake would be at the lake today and she wanted to make a great impression on him. She settled on her pink and white swimsuit and went downstairs. Sean was staring angrily at her. Well, not angry more annoyed. He wanted to be one of the first kids on the lake. Sean and Sophie were a year apart and everyone considered them twins because they did everything together. Sean was Sophie's favourite person apart from her dad. They put on their sunscreen, promised their parents they'd be back for lunch even though they knew they wouldn't and left. It was a beautiful day at the lake. They swam all day and Jake even told Sophie she looked nice. Nothing could've made her happier. When they got home, they got dry, had dinner and a Disney Pixar movie night. In the morning, the family had a big breakfast and headed back to the city. That's when the accident happened. Killing her dad and Sean. Her two favourite people in the whole world. After that, her mom and her never went back to the cabin. 

She set up. "Well, every summer until I was 12, I'd come up here with my family. All my best childhood memories are from here. I haven't been here in 12 years. When the pandemic hit, the thought of coming here again is what kept me sane. Crazy because I never really used to think about this place anymore. But the past four months, it's the only thing that's been on my mind. And I'm glad I came. It still feels like home". "Why did you stop coming?", Lee asked. "Well, my dad and my brother died in a car accident the last time we left this place. I guess the thought of coming back hurt too much". Lee immediately hugged her. They stayed in an embrace for a while. Then slowly let go of each other. She didn't want him to let go. She felt safe with him. Which is crazy because you absolutely know nothing about him, she thought. "We should go downstairs, we're kind of being anti-social". 

"Andrew and Tyler went to bed", Amanda said when they re-joined the group. They spent the rest of the night drinking and telling college stories and cringe office moments. From time Lee would glance at her and smile, it melted her heart. That night she went to bed thinking about her life. She thought about how lucky she was. She still had a loving mom, wonderful friends and now a crush on a guy who doesn't seem half bad. She wondered why she never shared told her friends about her dad and brother. First thing in the morning. She went to sleep thinking about Lee. 

In the morning, she awoke to the smell of bacon. Thank God I took an aspirin before bed. She wasn't hungover at all, but famished. When she got to the kitchen, she saw Lee. 

"Lee" 

"Hey", he said with a smile

"What are you doing here? Did you sleep here?" 

"No, but I did wake up super early to surprise you with a big breakfast. Just like your family used to have".

She began to cry. "Oh my God, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overstep. I thought I wasn't being thoughtful. I'm so sor-". Just then she kissed him. Surprised at herself but then he kissed her back. It was like electricity. He pulled her closer. She enjoyed being in his arms. Loved the feeling of his semi-muscular body and his soft lips. They only stopped once they smelled the toast burning. "Oh shit". A couple of minutes later, Amanda, Andrew and Tyler came down and joined them. Sophie decided to share the story of her brother and father with her friends, after all they were her favourite people. They were all empathetic and loving toward her and thanked her for her vulnerability. Her heart was full. 

They spent the rest of the weekend with the guys. After breakfast, they went canoeing, followed by a long lake swim and had BBQ for dinner. Sophie and Lee spend the night cuddled in each other's arms. Sunday was a lazy morning in bed for them, telling each other stories of their childhood. Sophie told him why she loved the sun. "It was dad and mine's favourite thing to do. And he'd say corny stuff like" When you feel the sun on your skin, think of me" and I do. Until this day". Later, when they were getting ready to leave for the city, Lee said "So, this weekend turned out better than I expected. But I'd like to take you out on a date. A real date". "I'd love that", she replied. As she drove away from the cabin with her friends, she smiled. Knowing that Rosewood was once again her favourite place. 

August 07, 2020 11:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Ashley Patterson
21:37 Aug 12, 2020

Very calm with a twist I liked alot

Reply

Mello Timothy
16:19 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sixolile Timothy
19:18 Aug 16, 2020

Really sweet story ❤️

Reply

Mello Timothy
16:18 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:26 Aug 10, 2020

I loved the connection between Lee and Sophie, it felt authentic to me.

Reply

Mello Timothy
20:29 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:04 Aug 10, 2020

This was sweet story

Reply

Mello Timothy
20:29 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.