68 comments

Drama High School Friendship

I was the next Heiress to the throne of Dreamland. I felt lucky. I felt scared. I felt excited. And I felt nervous. I also felt-well, the list would be too long to tell.

Dreamland was a magical place, where all your dreams come true. Now that I think about it, that kind of sounds clichรจ or something someone would tell you when you walk into an amusement park.

Let me start again. Dreamland was a magical place where dreams were real. Where dreams came alive. Where dreams were crazy, amazing things. And sometimes they were scary.

I felt like I was living in a fairy tale. I kind of was. Becoming the Queen of Dreamland, you know?

I pulled up to the magical school of Dreamland in a black limo with tinted windows that were bulletproof. Not everything in Dreamland was perfect. Not everything was safe.

โ€œCrystal, over here!โ€ Someone shouted as camera lights flashed and I covered my face and eyes.ย 

โ€œCrystal, tell us- are you excited to become Queen?โ€

More lights flashed.

โ€œWhy wasnโ€™t it your brother?โ€

That got to me. It hit hard. And it hit home.

My brother, Emery, was technically the Heir of Dreamland. Born with great looks, and super smart. He knew everything about Dreamland. He spent his whole life right up until January 9th practicing and studying to become King.

But on January 9th, Emery was diagnosed with a heart disease. Everyone started to judge him; tell him that he wouldnโ€™t make a good King.

King Alexander Augustus III and Queen Alice Augustus, my Mother and Father, couldnโ€™t have that kind of shame and scorn brought to their family. They had to make the hard decision to sort of kick Emery out of the picture. And thatโ€™s where I came in.

I filled in for Emery.

And boy, did Emery blame me for everything that happened.

โ€œCrystal!โ€ Someone yelled.

Expecting it to be more paparazzi, I shielded my face from the camera. It wasnโ€™t though. It was my friend, Regan.

Regan had lighter skin than my rich caramel skin, but hers was a little tan. Her golden locks were flowing all the way down her back and she looked like a model. Especially since she had big blue eyes that were too big for her face.

โ€œRegan!โ€ I yelled as I opened my arms to hug her.

She gladly hugged me and then pulled apart. โ€œI canโ€™t believe my best friend is becoming the QUEEN OF DREAMLAND!โ€ She exclaimed, making the last part so loud that everyone turned to stare.

I hid my brown eyes behind a curtain of my brunette locks. โ€œStop,โ€ I told Regan. She was a huge extrovert, and I was a huge introvert. How was I going to become Queen being so shy like this?

She stopped and tucked my hair behind my ears. โ€œSorry.โ€ She apologized.

โ€œItโ€™s fine. Letโ€™s get to class.โ€

We walked down the halls, a few fairies and walking sharks passed by us. Everything and anything that people dreamt of, came real in Dreamland. Who dreams about walking sharks?ย 

When we entered the class I sat down next to Regan and we pulled our books out and turned to page 549 as directed on the chalkboard in the front of the room.

โ€œClass,โ€ Mrs. Windsburrow clapped her hands to get our attention. โ€œToday we will be learning about the recent changes in our world. Including Miss Augustusโ€™s news about becoming Queen.โ€

My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. Iโ€™d never really been that popular. I mean, people obviously knew who I was, but they only really befriended me to get close to my family. To get close to the money. To get close to the power. Regan was my only true friend.

Someone coughed, โ€œLoser.โ€

The whole class started to laugh.

Mrs. Windsburrow gave 'The Look'. 'The Look' would get you landed in the principal's office if you didnโ€™t quiet down.

โ€œJameson.โ€ She yelled at the boy who coughed. โ€œOffice. Now!โ€

The rest of class was uncomfortable. Everyone was passive-aggressive with me whenever we had to be partners. People were calling me โ€œLoser!โ€ Gosh, I was so happy when we got to the passing period.

โ€œGosh,โ€ Regan said when we got out of class. โ€œThat mustโ€™ve been intense.โ€

โ€œYa think?โ€ I asked her. โ€œI canโ€™t even tell you how hard it is to be a stupid Queen!โ€ I yelled as I slammed my locker shut.

She flinched. โ€œLook. Sorry. But you need to calm down!โ€ She told me.

โ€œI already have enough people telling me what to do! Mom and Dad are making me practice being a Queen, Emery is giving me a hard time that he has to give up his spot as the Heir, and I have so many people making fun and being mean to me! So can you please be there for me?โ€ I shouted.

She gave me a look as if she couldnโ€™t process what I was saying. Then it turned into a fake smile. โ€œI am there for you. I always have been.ย I know itโ€™s hard to process and understand becoming a Queen and being a part of a Royal family, but please. Youโ€™re being a drama Queen, Crystal. And all Iโ€™ve done is watch you brag through the good times and comfort you through the hard times. But you know, now that I think about it, not once have you been there for me. Like when the mobs of paparazzi showed up at my house. Like when my mom decided to get a divorce with my dad.โ€ She stopped and sniffled, tears filling her eyes. โ€œSo no, your Majesty. I canโ€™t be there for you.โ€ She flipped her hair and walked off. โ€œTry putting yourself in my shoes.โ€ She called back to me.

I stood in the hallway, stunned. I felt really, really bad. I felt like Iโ€™d throw up. I felt sad. I felt mad at myself. I was just a horrible friend.

And she was right. I wasnโ€™t there for her when the mobs of paparazzi showed up at her house. What in the world did they want? And when her parents got divorced? I couldnโ€™t believe sheโ€™d told me that. Her parents loved each other. Though I guess I wasnโ€™t there enough to know if they really were.

โ€œHey Bigfoot!โ€ Jameson yelled from behind me. That was his nickname for me since I was tall. โ€œThanks a lot for getting me suspended. That was my last strike. Now Iโ€™m expelled.โ€

He purposely bumped into me and made me drop my backpack on my foot.


The rest of the week was horrible. Regan avoided me. And actually, pretty much everyone did. Well, except for the paparazzi.

โ€œCrystal!โ€ Paparazzi yelled. โ€œIs there something going on?โ€

โ€œWhy are you sad?โ€

โ€œWhy havenโ€™t you become Queen yet?โ€

โ€œHigh school drama?โ€

โ€œToo much work?โ€

โ€œFriends?โ€

I walked into school and coincidentally bumped into Regan. She was standing with another girl. I immediately recognized her.

Rebbecca.

โ€œWatch where you're going, loser.โ€ Rebbecca said. She was my arch nemesis. What was Regan doing with her?ย 

I ignored her comment and my eyes met Reganโ€™s. She had changed. She had long, painted, black fingernails, her makeup was done really well, she dressed like a popular girl with expensive clothes.

โ€œYeah, seriously.โ€ I didnโ€™t expect that to come from Regan. I guess I deserved it though.

I nodded and we parted ways, me running and not stopping till I reached the bathroom.

I turned on the faucet and washed my face with cold water as I cried. I cried and cried and cried as I thought about Regan and what she had said.

Try putting yourself in my shoes.

I thought back to the other day, when Regan and I were playing in the castle. Hide and seek.

I had just come home from school and I got to bring Regan. But on the way to the car to go home, I got bullied by some of the college students that were visiting to help out.

โ€œCrystal, itโ€™s okay.โ€ Regan said, comforting me as we made our way to the car. I cried into her shirt as she hugged me. Thatโ€™s what we did, the whole way to the castle.

Regan decided it would be fun to play hide and seek, probably her way of cheering me up, but Iโ€™m not complaining. It was so fun.

I hid in a closet in the Maidโ€™s Quarters and surprisingly, Regan found me.

โ€œMy parents never find me there,โ€ I told her.

I splashed my face with cold water, knocking me out of my daze.

My last sentence probably got to her. Her parents were divorced.

I thought back to the first day of Kindergarten when I met Regan.

I sat in the corner of the classroom, clutching my crayonโ€™s mom bought for me at the store. She said I could share them with my new friends and they would love it.

A pretty ash brown haired girl walked by. I tapped her on the shoulder.

โ€œHi!โ€ She said to me, โ€œI didnโ€™t see you there.โ€

I laughed. โ€œSorry,โ€ I told her. โ€œIโ€™m a little shy.โ€

โ€œThatโ€™s okay. First I was but now I have lots of friends. Iโ€™m Rebecca but you can call me Becky.โ€

I waved. โ€œIโ€™m Crystal. Crystal Augustus. Would you like to draw with me with these new crayons?โ€ I asked.

Her eyes went from kind to dark. โ€œNo. You are spoiled rotten, Princess.โ€ She kicked the crayons out of my hand and they fell to the ground.

I cried in the corner where nobody saw me, but then a girl with blonde hair walked up to me.

โ€œFirst day jitters?โ€ She asked.

I sniffed. โ€œYeah. And bullies.โ€

โ€œDonโ€™t worry.โ€ She comforted me. โ€œYouโ€™re not the only one. Iโ€™m Regan.โ€

โ€œCrystal. Crystal Augustus.โ€

She threw her arms around me. โ€œI know weโ€™ll be great friends.โ€

I splashed my face again.

Regan had always had my back.

I ran out the bathroom door trying to find Regan, and sure enough, I bump into her as I round the corner.

โ€œBigfoot,โ€ She teased. โ€œslow down.โ€

With a hair flip she walked off.

For a second I thought about not apologizing. She was mean. But I thought back to how great of a friend she was and how bad I was and decided to call her back.

โ€œRegan, wait.โ€

She turned around and crossed her arms. โ€œSo you can yell at me again?โ€

โ€œNo. Iโ€™m sorry.โ€ I explained to her what Iโ€™d done and how bad of a friend I was. I told her I needed her.

She closed her eyes. โ€œGood.โ€ She said. โ€œI couldnโ€™t keep this act up any longer if I tried. What are we doing?โ€ She threw her arms around me.

โ€œSorry.โ€ I told her again.

โ€œItโ€™s okay. Iโ€™m just glad to have my friend back.โ€ She pulled away. โ€œWe are friends right?โ€ She asked.

โ€œTill the end.โ€

July 30, 2021 20:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

68 comments

TJ Squared
23:45 Aug 02, 2021

Nice story, Bella! I like how they still remained friends 'Till the end'. It was rather sweet, but cool in a way as well. I noticed some errors, and I'm not sure if you can still edit or not, but just to look for in the future: "People were calling me โ€œLoser!โ€." --> I'm fairly certain that the period after 'loser' isn't necessary. "The rest of the week was horrible. Regan avoided me. And actually, pretty much everyone did. Well, except for the paparazzi. โ€œRegan!โ€ Paparazzi yelled. โ€œIs there something going on?โ€" --> I think you mean 'C...

Reply

Hi, Wolf!! Thank you so much. I can still edit so I'll go back and change those suggestions. Yes, I did mean to put Crystal. Originally I had the main character as Regan, but then I realized when Dhwani Jain filled out my character form in my bio, she asked for a main character instead of a side character. I went back and changed them but I guess I didn't get them all. Thanks again! Also: I left a comment on one of your books and filled out your form in your bio. I would appreciate it if you maybe wanted to fill out a form in my bio?

Reply

TJ Squared
02:06 Aug 03, 2021

Oh that's cool! Np! I noticed...okay sure! I shall when I find the time :)

Reply

TJ Squared
02:12 Aug 03, 2021

finished :D how have you been?

Reply

:) thanks. I'm good, how are you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi! I hope you enjoyed this story. I would love if you gave me in-depth critique. The character, Crystal, was inspired by Dhwani Jain. Go check her out! If you want one of your characters in my story, fill out the form in my bio. :) - Bella

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:08 Aug 01, 2021

Oh my! Thank you so much, Bella! I'll get to the critique soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jude S. Walko
03:04 Sep 09, 2021

Fun coming of age story, that points out the intricacies of young adult interaction and how fickle they can be. I like the main moral of the story, which basically is friendship, or love, conquers all. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Dreamland can also be interpreted in many ways. New found fame is the literal, but also could be interpreted as transitions many young adults go through like moving, fitting in at new schools, a parent's divorce, loss of a sibling (both of which you mention), etc. So you are well on your way to le...

Reply

Seeing your comment made my day!! Thanks for taking the time to read and leave your thoughts on this story. I donโ€™t think that this is my best story, but Iโ€™m very glad you liked this. And lol I donโ€™t think of myself anywhere near Bella Poarch and itโ€™s funny to me that you think that!! But yeah, we do have a lot in common.Thanks again!! โค๏ธ-Bella

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Fox
22:10 Aug 26, 2021

AWWWWW!

Reply

;D thanks for the comments, Moon Fox!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sabrina -
14:41 Aug 12, 2021

Hey, Bella I just finished your story! I really love how you chose a fantasy setting as the backdrop for your story and used Crystal's new royal responsibilities as a source of internal conflict. Having her own life struggles blind her to her friend's struggles was a realistic and nice touch. I was happy that they stayed friends and worked it out. Great writing, keep up the good work!

Reply

Thank you, Sabrina!! I liked using the fantasy backdrop too. Fantasy is really fun for me to write and read. And Crystal's new royal responsibilities seemed like a good source of conflict between her and Regan. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and critique this!

Reply

Sabrina -
17:32 Aug 12, 2021

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Caroline Fonteno
22:48 Feb 21, 2022

This was a great story. I loved how she was put under so much pressure becoming queen and suddenly she's left friendless. I really enjoyed this story

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:52 Aug 26, 2021

Good job ๐Ÿฉ

Reply

Thanks! -โค- ๐”น๐•–๐•๐•๐•’

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annalisa D.
19:05 Aug 11, 2021

This was a really cute story and I enjoyed reading it! I'm glad their friendship worked out in the end!

Reply

Thanks, Annalisa, for the vote of kindness! I'm also glad!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
12:23 Aug 03, 2021

It's such a sweet story with a lovely ending. Great Work Bella! I love it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
07:26 Aug 01, 2021

Hey Bella! Here's the review you asked for: --> THE TITLE ~ I like it, it is telling me what to expect, a little bit. --> THE CHARACTER NAMES ~ I love the other characters' names....and of course, I LOVE Crystal's name too (XD) --> THE BEGINNING ~ Nice, it was like a cotton candy. Lovely at the start, kinda getting sad towards the end as the candy comes to an end and then finally happy again. --> THE PLOT ~ LOVED it! --> THE ENDING ~ Nice, I liked the way you portrayed Regan's change of heart (with Rebecca) and then another change of heart. ...

Reply

Hi! First review: Thanks Second review: I like Crystal too. Third review: Haha, I like how you thought of it as cotton candy. Fourth review: Thanks Fifth review: Thanks again. Sixth review: Thanks, and now you made me want some cake batter. ;) I'll get to changing those typos I had in the book. I think it's really cool that you came up with confronting instead of comforting. I'll think about it. Thanks, Dhwani!!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:38 Aug 02, 2021

You're welcome for everything, Bella! Sure, take your time. :) =D Happy to help.

Reply

Hi! Is the answer to the question in your bio: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:23 Aug 03, 2021

Yes! Bella, you're correct. I'll put you on the reward-meter. (again)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
05:08 Aug 01, 2021

I HAVE BEEN DOWNVOTED!!!!!!! I HAD ABOUT 1100+ POINTS, AND NOW I AM LEFT AT 660+.... PLEASE HELP ME, MY REEDSY FRIENDS STOP DOWNVOTING NOW!!!!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:39 Aug 02, 2021

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.