1 comment

Christian Creative Nonfiction American

It was the weekend before Valentine’s Day in 2002.  The country was still in mourning over the events of 9/11.  The new security protocols at the airport were frightening but necessary.  One week before taking a flight to spend the weekend with my husband, I had a vivid dream.  I don’t read too much into dreams, but because of the state of the country and my personal situation of my husband being deployed stateside, I was on high alert.  In the dream, I was at the airport and missed the flight I should have taken.  As I watched my plane take off, I immediately saw the plane crash and burn.  In my dream, I saw parts of the plane burning.  I didn’t see any survivors and I realized in this dream that I could have been on that plane.  I immediately woke up from this dream remembering it vividly and then questioning if I should continue with my flight plans.  When I spoke with my husband the following night (we had to talk late at night because of the time zone difference and it was cheaper to talk at night even on the cellphone during this time).  He told me if I didn’t feel comfortable, don’t get on the plane.  We heard stories about people who missed their flight on 9/11 for some bizarre reason, how some people in New York didn’t go to work in one of the offices in the Twin Towers, or how people took an alternate route to work. These people showed gratitude in interviews for the small change in their schedule and how this saved their lives. I was dealing with a major conflict.  Do I get on a flight that can alter (or end) my life so that I can spend time with my husband?  Do I stay and let fear make my decisions?  

 Thankful I had a Pastor to pray with me and for me, I attended church the Sunday morning before leaving for my flight.  I went to the altar for prayers after the service.  I didn’t tell my Pastor about my dream, but I told him that I was going to see my husband. I wanted him to agree that I would have a safe flight.  He did and at the end of my prayer, he told me to tell my husband hello and to enjoy my time with him (my husband grew up in this church, so my Pastor has known him since he was 9 years old).  

 I made a decision out of faith, not out of fear.  My parents drove me to the airport, and I kissed my only son at that time goodbye and entered the airport.  As I took a deep inhale of fresh air, I cautiously stepped into the airport.  The tension in the airport terminal was palpable.  The security measures enacted to prevent another terrorist strike were a necessary evil.  As I entered through the metal detectors, I shivered at the coldness of this air-conditioned building and the coldness of the security process. After I exited the metal detectors, I was told to take off my shoes.  What?  I didn’t question verbally but just compiled so I would not be detained any longer and miss my flight.  This was a new security protocol implemented to ensure airplane security.  Another hurdle to overcome is what I thought as I quickly took off my shoes without taking the time to untie them.  I scooped them up and placed them on the counter for the TSA Security guard to inspect.  After my shoes passed inspection, I began to put my shoes back on my feet when I was told to head to the right.  What now?  Another security protocol has the computer select random passengers to closer security scrutiny.  I’m taken to the other line in which I have to empty my pockets and have a female security guard use the metal detector wand to go over my clothed body for extra protection.  I watched once again as my carry-on bag had its items searched by the hands of strangers.  I was really rethinking the trip.  However, at this point, I would look suspicious if I decided not to continue. All the hoops I have jumped through to get on the plane would be for nothing if I decided to cancel my trip.  I took another breath, gathered my belongings, and headed for the gate.  With my ticket and identification in hand, I boarded my plane.  

 Before the plane took off, everyone on the plane exchanged nervous smiles and curt nods of acknowledgment with each other trying to decide if their fellow passenger could be a threat to this flight.  When the plane took off and we relaxed as the plane ascended to the desired altitude, the tension in the plane began to dissipate.   Despite the conflict of my body demanding sleep and my mind telling me to stay awake, I surrendered to sleep.  Just waking from my nap on the plane, I was able to see the perfect square blocks illuminated by the streetlights against the dark ground below.  As we flew closer to the runway, I could see the mounds of snow created by the snowplows to clear the runways.  I exhaled a sigh of relief.  I was inwardly thanking God for a safe flight.  I was not only thankful l that there weren’t any mechanical problems, but more thankful no one had hijacked this plane for some nefarious plan. Although the cabin of the plane was still dark, I could see the 5 or 6 other passengers' silhouettes as we landed.  As the lights in the cabin of the plane came on, the passengers were waking from their slumber shaking away any tiredness still lingering in their eyes.  We had to be on full alert. What if something happened as soon as the plane door opened?  I was finally able to exhale.  I was stepping off the plane in Chicago to see my husband who was recalled in October 2001.  Unlike the 70-degree weather I left in Raleigh, NC, the frigid tempers of the night kept the mounds of snow piled high on the runways.  As we say in ENC when the weather is really cold, the “hawk” was out, and I pulled my winter coat tighter around my body to keep myself warm.  I gathered my overnight bag and headed to the airport exit.  I looked for the gold Honda Accord as I stared at the busy airport lane.  I spotted the gold Honda pulling up to the side of the walkway to meet me.   Because of the tight security, we didn’t linger at the curb, but put my suitcase in the backseat and quickly entered the warm, welcoming car.  After exchanging a quick peck on the lips, my husband pulled away from the curb and we were off.  Not knowing if I would be hungry after my plane landed at 9:00pm, my husband had hot chicken soup and a grilled cheese sandwich waiting for me.  The aroma of the soup filled the car as we drove away.  He knew I was not used to Chicago winters.  I was overcome with his thoughtfulness.   As we headed by towards Great Lakes, I had the chance to look at my husband of almost three years.  He looked so mature!  He looked like the young man I married after we graduated from East Carolina University, but somehow different.  I think it was the protector as a soldier role he had gladly fulfilled to our country that made him look mature and distinguished.  The responsibilities of this new life made him take on a semblance of wisdom and maturity.   

While riding to the Naval Base, I took a moment to reflect.  I was thankful that my husband had been recalled to an area where I could visit.  I was thankful to God that the flight I had taken was a faith flight and I made the decision to board the plane. Because of the men and women at airport security, I arrived to my destination safely and spent the weekend with my husband. 

August 01, 2024 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Penguin Scott
17:27 Aug 12, 2024

This is an interesting tale. But first thing- paragraphs are your friend. I'd suggest reading some writing tips for paragraphs. Just do a search and you'll learn a lot. Secondly, you use the same word too many times. Dream. Plane. Once you establish that you are talking about your dream, you don't need to keep saying it. And once you establish you are on the plane, same thing. I noticed you used compiled instead of complied. Easy error to make. What is ENC? There are times your sentences are a little wordy. Try to condense ideas with...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.