0 comments

Fiction Happy Inspirational

Do, do, do, do

Do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do

The sound of an acoustic guitar was reaching her ears, slowly luring her out of a state of heaviness into the grogginess of being some-what conscious. The lyrics of the song began to kick in now: 


Here comes the sun, do, do, do

Here comes the sun, 

And I say, it’s alright. 


Is it though? She rolled over asking herself. 


Little darling, it's been a long, cold, lonely winter

Litter darling, it seems like years since it’s been here. 


It sure has. Reaching for her cell phone that was charging on the headboard of her bed, she started squinting as the simple, small screen light began to contrast the darkness of the room and felt as if it was blinding her. Eyes adjusting, fingers tapping the “stop alarm." She began searching for the weather app. It read: high of sixty three with clear skies and a low of 48. Finally. Maybe I’ll actually start going for those walks I promised myself I’d do several weeks ago. 


Reluctantly, she sat up, rubbing her eyes, and then running her fingers through her messy soft locks. Once she felt semi-conscious, she began rummaging through a bin that she kept on a small shelf nearby that contained her work out clothes. She meant to start using them weeks ago when the temperature made it into the thirties, but the warm bed (and longer sleep time) was too tempting. Today is the day. Getting up, she began making her way through the dark bedroom cradling her clothes in her arms until she found the bathroom door knob. 


She hated bright lights in the morning. She preferred to ease into her day, rather than be jolted into it. Even in the dimness of the nightlight she had plugged into the bathroom outlet, she tried not to look into the huge mirror plastered on one side of the wall. Yet, she couldn’t ignore the glow that seemed to be emanating from it, which was being produced by her own body that hadn’t been outdoors for the past five to six months. The pandemic, and lack of access to a gym, didn’t help either. She began recalling the image she saw yesterday when she inadvertently caught a glimpse of herself in that same mirror. Most of the time she tried not to look below her chin. She liked staying positive - just focus on my eyes. I have nice eyes. Yet, some sadistic tendency kicked in, and her eyes traveled down to the Covid thirty that now gathered around her waist. Further down she began to see the cottage cheese like shapes gathering about her thighs. Ugh! 


Shaking her head, she finished getting dressed. The roasted smell of coffee being brewed was now entering her nostrils and pulling her down the stairs towards the coveted cup that was longing to be filled. After she got done pouring the steaming liquid into a swirling pool of cream, she began walking towards her sunroom. Opening the heavy glass door allowed the cool air to pour in and surround her body, causing her senses to engage with their environment even more. 


A monochrome darkness was covering the neighborhood. People thought she was crazy for waking up at four in the morning, and even crazier still for taking walks outside before the sun even had a chance to rise. Who knows what might get you! The words of warning from others rang in her head. Smiling to herself and thought, The only thing I’ve ever seen is coyotes, skunks, racoons, and rabbits, and they are more afraid (or curious) of me than I am of them. 


Taking one more long sip of the creamy, bitter liquid, she set her cup down. After tying her shoulder-length blond hair into a short ponytail, she began heading out into the early morning covered in soft yellow that came from a street light that stood guard just outside her home. 


Taking a deep breath, she could almost smell the melting snow that had washed away the dirt and salt left behind from the harsh winter storms. Now the streets were clear, and the grass on the ground was clean. She thought back to how on her drive home yesterday, she remembered thinking, there are so few times during the year when the grass is this bright and light. 


She began walking deep into her neighborhood where there weren’t as many street lights. Looking up, the stars were sparkling now... ready to speak, “Good morning, sunshine.” They seemed to say. “Welcome back! We missed you.” 


Smiling she thought, I missed you too.  A tingling sensation ran throughout her whole body. I almost forgot what this felt like...this sacred connection to the Universe.  


It was a feeling, a knowing, like developing some sort of sixth sense. Walking by the trees, she could almost feel what it was like to be them. Their own slow awakening from the deep, long, winter’s sleep. The thawing of their roots. The water beginning to flow, the buds beginning to sprout, soon to open to the sun to begin their own rebirth. 


The stars too seemed to be able to telepathically communicate their own secret, sacred knowledge. Maybe because it was quiet and most people were sleeping, so it was easier to “hear.” 


You are the tree of life

A fractal of the whole collective consciousness

A bud on a branch.


Your desires will push you forward

Your environment will shape you.

Just as you slept, you too will come back to life.   


A warming filled her heart. Small surges of electricity flowed throughout her body. She was coming back to life. 


No matter what I look like in the mirror, I’m going to be just fine. I have all summer to get this ship back into shape, and even if it’s not the ideal image, it’s all good in my consciousness. 


She hummed as she continued her walk: 

Here comes the sun, do, do, do

Here comes the sun, 

And I say, it’s alright. 


March 21, 2021 11:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.