Playing God

Written in response to: Write a story about a scientist.... view prompt

2 comments

Horror Science Fiction Teens & Young Adult

This story contains sensitive content

I am a scientist who cloned my family that died in an airplane crash the year before — but I soon learn the repercussions of playing God. My family now has a strange thirst for blood, my blood, probably because I wasn’t on the plane that killed them. I was too busy hiding a dark secret— I killed someone. This is the story of why I did it and how did the clones find out...

*Note from the Author*

Please enjoy Peter's tale and let me know what you think. I am stopping the Pens of Fate for reasons that I will not disclose, but I will continue to write for myself, not for the people who judge based on what the cover looks like. They will miss out on these torn pages have written in them. To my inner angels who kept fighting against the demons of my mind, I want to thank you for it. And to those inner monsters of mine, thank you for being my inspiration for these books and stories. To the angels who stood beside me while I battled the evil inside of me, these books and stories will represent how you have been there for me. 

And to the younger me, who probably didn’t know that she was a writer; you were going to do great things. Don't you ever look back a question the choices that lead you to the me that I have become...

This is one of the many stories that I believe didn't make it into the Pens of Fate book, and they will be just my stories for giving those who can't handle gore little nightmares. If you guys want more Mini Horrors from the Grave, please leave a comment and like below. Share your ideas and I will listen. Now without further a due, here's Peter's tale called, "Playing God"...

I sat down at the dinner with my wife, Dabria who was the name of an angel of death, and my six-year-old daughter, Loreley whose name is the song of a beautiful woman that leads man to death. Now, these weren’t my real family’s names, but they didn’t know that. Well, at least that’s what I thought. I remember that dark night clearly… 

After returning home from the hospital with some of the DNA of the people that I lost, I walked into a now cold empty house without the sweet voice of my real wife, Aurora, welcoming me home. I knew how to get back what I lost and I wouldn’t stop until I could hold my little girl again in my arms. I went down to my lab in the basement, where I spent the night playing god. I was not prepared for the repercussions… 

I couldn’t make it to the airport in time that day. I had to get rid of the bodies before I left the house. It wasn’t hard for the smaller corpse, but the larger one was a bit of a struggle. When I finally got the wooden floors clean, the plane had already taken off. This wasn’t the first time I had to fix a tragedy, and I didn’t think science could hurt me… 

“Honey, your dinner is getting cold,” Dabria, Aurora’s clone, said, pulling me out of my thoughts. 

I smiled, looking in her direction when some old photos laying on the kitchen counter caught my attention. I felt fear wash over me as I realized that the photos were kept in my lab, which is off-limits to everyone except me. It was a photo of my family, taken years before any of this playing god stuff happened in the midst of photos that look similar but with a new wife and child in them. Just as I turned to look at Dabria, I felt a sharp stabbing sensation in my thigh. I look down to see Loreley, the clone of my baby girl, pushing a knife deeper into my leg. She had tears in her eyes but she was smiling.

“How many times did you play god, Peter?” Dabria asked as she picked up the oldest photo. 

The photo was fifteen years old and this was the fourth time I cloned my wife and child. They have died in a car crash, plane crash, and by my own hands, but it wasn't my fault. The clones were getting two close to the truth and I don’t why but I couldn’t let them find out. 

Loreley pulled the knife out of my leg and pushed it back into the flesh. I screamed in pain as Dabria continued to talk… 

“You should have just grieved like everyone else, but you couldn’t. Instead, you wanted to play with life as if it was a game. Well, look where science got you,” she said she put a knife into my chest. Loreley then looked up at me, smiling.

“Bye daddy,” was the last thing my daughter said every time death came for her, only this time he came for me. He stared at me with cold blue eyes that had no mercy in them. He stood by my family and the clones who all had blank expressions on their faces and holding a bouquet of black roses in their arms.

“Death is something we all have to deal with, but living to the fullest is the hardest thing a human has to do,” said the grim figure that stood alongside the people I have hurt, as my body began to decay before my eyes… 

*Note from Adaline*

You have now made it to the end of this nightmare. I hope you can sleep tonight because there are more creatures hiding in the shadows, waiting for fresh prey. And I will be there too, watching from my garden of black roses. Will you join the dark or will you flee from it? I will extend my hand to guide you on this journey of fear, the real question is if you will take it or not...

March 17, 2022 19:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Moon Lion
23:08 Mar 19, 2022

I love sci fi in any form, but I love plotlines of cloning and what it means to be human! This was a great story, and the message you wrote to yourself at the start was really heartwarming to read. People tend to put themselves down and I'm glad your message was so strong and kind. It sucks about the people who judged your story too soon, I'm sure they're missing out more than they know. Honestly, joining the dark sounds fascinating and eerie, so why not?

Reply

Ashlyn Anderson
17:51 Mar 28, 2022

Thank you so much, Moon Lion. You seem like a truly pure-hearted person who also understands the dark. I love getting your feedback. It means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.