2 comments

Fiction Mystery Thriller

"I have a plan!!" Mika squealed, her eyes brimming with excitement. Her hair, braided by the caretaker was now in messy shackles, and her tiny hands, now was almost covered by the dusty white chalk powder.

Grandly unveiling the board she had just minutes back covered with an old blanket, she smiled proudly at us, her elder brothers.

It was a lazy saturday afternoon and yes, we were too tired to fake a smile, let alone an excitement.

The fire cackled loudly as if mocking us for being such unsupportive brothers.

Quickly, Jay and myself, sprang to our feet and sat attentively to show our encouragement. Now sitting crosslegged, I watch as Jay's intense black hair towering over him, his eyes droopy with tiredness, but his face now plastered with a transfixed smile.

Miguel, Mika's twin carefully brought the miniature living room, our miniature living room model and placed it swiftly on the floor.

The minaiture room, being an exact replica of our living room had the same cream-coloured sofa with chocolate brown knitted cloth , and small mahogany oval table at the centre with a thick blue-painted wooden door to the right, and small fireplace located to the left end corner. The room almost looks very ill lit, unless one draws the folds of thick and heay, very dusty curtains aside. The walls almost plain except for one or two potraits of our mom and dad's picture taken on their wedding day. Well, the miniature model had a an antique piece of clock instead. and just behind the sofa, there was a small cabinet oddly situated. Its almost unnoticeable, as the sofa almost hides it.

"So, " starts Mika, clearing her throat all sounding proffessional-like, "this is our 10th mission and eventhough its the same plan, this is going to be speciall...becauuseee......."", she stretches the word because with the hopes of somebody answering it.

When no one does, she pipes in "we are entering the era of double digitss!!", her face full of teeth now.

Jay, groans and drops his head, suppressing the annoyance. Well, you see, mika can be quite childish sometimes.

Ignoring the groan, Mika with her chirpy voice starts highlighting the word SUBJECT: MR. Quint with a pink fuschia chalk.

"So, tomorrow after Church, I am going to be escorting Mr.Quint to our wonderful home"

"And, how may you be escorting him, Mika?" I pipe in, already knowing the answer.

"MR.Quint, I am Mika. I- I-," as if from air, Mika draws out tears from her eyes, now almost looks like pitch black bottomless pond at night time.

"I think, my parents left me and ....

and-", sniffling once more , "I dont feel safe going alone in the woods.....so, can you take me to my home?" Mika ends the sentence, with a small tilt of her chin facing upwards, dramatically flapping her eyelashes.

"And before he could ask me, I would add that our house is the one at the end of the woods", Mika gleams as if proud of her act.

"I want an actual role this timee!!" Miguel pipes in, sitting upright in exasperation.

Mika smiles at this and starts walking towards the miniature model. The miniature model was a present to us from Mr.Spencer, our neighbour for Mika's 9th birthday which, to be precise was 5 years back. She carefully takes the miniature toys, which were almost the same, every single time, except the one which has to play the role of a VICTIM.

The Miniature toys, constituting a family, consisted of Papa, who was almost insignificant as he travelled a lot and Mama who was bedridden. The moving characters were 2 elder guys, the taller one being myself, Jake, and the shorter one, Jay and the twins, Mika and Miguel.

Mikka carefully places the variable toy, the victim outside the door. Its almost like a game of chess, but instead of alternating pattern of black-white squares, we had our own plain flooring, own rules and our own positions.

"So as Mr.Quint walks in, " she trots the toy with a small smile stretching across her face, " I will offer him a cup of beverage as a courtesy. And, incase, he accepts ....well good for him."

"Wait! What if he does not?"

"Well, Miguel, I am surprised you havent yet dozed of because thats where you step in." She picks up the twin toy and trots it behind the sofa and slowly slids the doors of the cabinet open and hides the toy in the cabinet.

Miguel and Mika, now exchanging silent smiles, their eyes glinting with fervour enthusiasm ......well, they weren't a normal to sight to look at.

Miguel walked towards the miniature board and picked one of the miniature hockey sticks from the hockey stand and hides it alongside the miniature version of himself inside the cabinet.

I looked at Jay. His eyes now almost soul-less, with a small line of sweat lining his forehead, looking distressed at the whole plan.

"We have to stop this. we have to stop this before it gets out of hand.This just sounds very dangerous" , Jay whispers.

Feeling nothing but helplessness, I looked at Mika, Miguel.

" Let me handle this"

You see, the twins weren't normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12th September, 20xx

Well, tomorrow is the day!

I just wish things were simpler.

I wish we could all be normal...

sigh...

The whole thing is just too difficult to process. How did my brother and sister turn out this way??

Mika is rehearsing her piano downstairs.

I wish she never learnt piano from Mr.Spencer.

He is the root cause for everything!!!!!!

Only if mom had been able to recognize him a little earlier....we could have saved them.

You see, Mr.Spencer was different.

He was not normal.

Although he repeatedly told he was into meticulous flawless planning, we never suspected this from him.

He was a tall lean man, with dark curly hair and had big droopy hollow eyes.

A simple man obsessed with watches .

I am kind of ashamed to admit that I was jealous of his wide array of collection, until I came to know that they were his prized possessions of his victims.

More than anything, we came to know he liked watching people when they were just few minutes before their death. Of how their face was not drained of not only thick sickly red blood, but also their deep pungent emotions.

Of how he could sense their weak, fragile helplessness and how it helped him gain power, and feel almost at the top of the world.

For all the time we were under the notion that the twins were being taught piano, they were actually being taught different methods of torture , killing, scheming, sweet talk and what not!

And disturbing it sounds, we know its totally wrong. But its not like we can go to a doctor and tell them that our twin siblings have an affinity to kill people brutally ?

It just sounds ridiculous!!

I-

I just hope things end well tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning dawned, huge cottony clouds masking the sun, as if they were trying to choke. There was no wind in the air, and the still trees looked like they were patiently watching how the day would turn out.

I closed the curtains and went downstairs . Mika, Miguel have already left. The Living room was the same, except, instead of a huge vase near the fireplace, there was a tall, hockey stick holder, with mix of hockey sticks and umbrella.

I let out a sigh and turned on the T.v to watch some news.

Now. Its time to wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At half past 1, I could hear muddy footsteps of boots, probably Mr.Quint, along with ringing laughter sound of Mika.

Miguel had already come home at 12.30 p.m and surprisingly enough set the table and called me and Jay to join him for lunch.

Jay silent all the way, ate his lunch with an unenthusiastic attitude. Not wanting to make any small talk, I ate my food while reading some random magazine.

I retreated back to my room.

I watched as Mr. Quint entered the home through the front door without any hesitation. I doubt he even would have thought of the consequences of entering this home.

Looking proudly at Mika, I wondered whether she should pursue acting instead and chuckled at the thought.

Oh! How was it even possible for fake innocene to mask that pure evil ........

I tiptoed and and hid underneath the staircase loft. The good thing about our house is, its dark and everything can remain concealed unless and until a torch light is shown.

The door clicked open.

Across me, Miguel now, is hiding underneath the cabinet.

Jay is nowhere to be seen.

"Ah, Mr.Quint. Im so grateful you agreed to escort me to my home." Mika squeaks in a happy shrill tone. Little did Mr.Quint know that there was more to meaning to that happy shrieky voice.

Its almost as if Mika were announcing "the prey has reached the place safely"

" Oh thats nothing Mika. I hope you stay safe until your parents come home. I have to leave now " Mr. Quint pats her head and treads slowly, leaning against the walking stick for support.

"No! Wait ! Mr.Quint." Mika squeaks agitatedly.

"I would really be glad if you could stay over for a cup of tea. I will brew it right away "

Mika doesnt wait for the answer and just takes his hand and leads him inside.

"Ok. If you insist." Mr. Quint now accepting defeat sounded almost helpless."

"Please make yourself comfortable. I will be right back" mika tiptoes towards the kitchen.

I thank god as things didnt turn out the way the twins wished.

I waited for Mika to appear with the tea, but 10 minutes turned into one hour.

Puzzled now, I sat in silence, because there was nothing much to do. Everything was going according to the plan. Where was Mika?

All Mika had to do was bring the tea!

The old man, meanwhile had read the newspaper, magazine and dozed off while calling out to Mika once or twice.

All we could hear from Mika was "Just few more minutes Mr.Quint. "

Mr. Quint, now impatient, "Mika. I am sorry. I have to leave. Its getting dark ."

Mr. Quint got up and slowly started treading towards the door. Lets say,the door handle was differently made.

It can be opened from the outside with a twist but from the inside can be opened only with a key.

Twisting the doorknob and finding it useless, he shook the door knob on the possibility of it being jammed.

When that too didnt work, I guess thats when he started getting suspicious.

Just than, a small crumpled ball of paper flew from the cabinet towards me.

Jake. I am sorry.

Mika and I wanted to make this special. So, even if Mr. Spencer accepted to stay over, we had planned to kill him the way we wanted. But I am kind of nervous. Please do something.

-miguel

Miguel! I sighed with exasperation.

He is going to pay for this.

Mr. Quint meanwhile leaning against his walking stick on one side, while shaking the door knob aggressively on the other, paused to catch a breath.

"Mika....Mika," his faint voice quivered.

Oh good lord! How could this man even think he might be able to protect Mika against intruders from the woods is beyond my ability to comprehend!

Now was the chance.

I can do this.

I walked towards him and with a swift movement grabbed the hockey stick and swung a violent swerve right at his neck when he was just about to turn.

The arteries now visibly pulsatile and throbbing.

His face passed through this unmistakable shades of emotions, shock from the blow , surprise when Mika re-entered with a smile plastered , pain, agony, and as if wiping the slate clean, his life ebbed away with his face resorting to an emotionless one.

-------------‐--------‐------------------------------------------------------------‐--------------

You see. Jay and I, we were normal. All we did was just mix two drops of the extract of Vergacia Mushroom in the beverage and the person died a peaceful death.

Moreover, our targets were hitchhikers, orphans, and mostly the beggars who were needed by nobody.

But the twins. They were not normal. They liked the scheming, and watching the stripping away of emotions moments before someone dies.

Ah! I could blame Mr. Spencer all dayy!! But, whats done is done.

I wipe away the blood and watch as Mika smiles and bends over to take Mr.Quint's watch.

November 04, 2022 15:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

04:43 Nov 10, 2022

I liked how you have twisted the concept of normal. The plot is fairly interesting. Some areas that can be improved 1. Mika's spelling is changed during the story and it is not consistently in capital letters. 2. Avoid repetition of unusual words, for instance, pipe, an unusual word for say is used more than necessary. Hoping to read more from you.

Reply

Aishu Aishu
16:10 Nov 10, 2022

I will surely take those suggestions into account! Thank you so much for you reply! Im really glad you commented. :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.