0 comments

Adventure Teens & Young Adult

H.A.R.P

Human

Adaptive

Recreation

Project

“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race ... .It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate. Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn’t compete, and would be superseded.”

— Stephen Hawking

“It is day 1,859 of my testing for the human effects of the algorithm  that has been placed into my new human cerebellum, commonly referred to among humans as gray matter or the brain. I also would like to inform you that these morning procedures are involuntary or mandatory, so that is the only reason for my contribution to this wasteful method of paper and writing utensils. I am going to keep to my method of stating facts. So far the director has stated that I am successfully passing the daily examinations and conversations with these peculiar humans although I am not entirely sure of what a human is, all that I understand from these strange creatures is that they have created us to save their planet and the life that used to supposedly thrive on it, but the humans have decided that it is time to give this issue to us, the more intelligent species. As I understand we are all here to save ertha…raeth…earth, as I struggle with the concept of life I also struggle with the concept of earth as I do with other strange human concepts…..

Although I'm not entirely sure where these thoughts keep coming from I know they were from last summer, because if they were not I wouldn't remember growing up-which I do, so we can all agree that this was last summer. I remember falling, I remember failing and I remember this small fragment of writing. The problem is that that is not my handwriting but it is my story and that is the most conceived thing of all.I have tried for quite a bit of time to understand what was happening but I could only understand this, project H.A.R.P is evil. Now as bold as it is for me to make such a statement, I have a case to present. For starters I am project H.A.R.P so I would know if it was evil or not but at the same time I wouldn't know because well, I wouldn't want to characterize myself as evil, no one would.I was designed to look like a human act like a human be a human but at the same time destroy all the humans! because in the eyes of the tech, humans had to go and AI had to stay and this is how we were supposed to- and I'm quoting them here “save them”. The problem with that is Tech was created by a human.A very very very evil powerful human, Dr.Ronald Reginald Riser. Unfortunately I will remember his name forever and it's not the reason that you think.You see when I was first created people kept telling me I was meant to save the world that there was something different about me than all of my other chargemates.  but no matter where I looked I seemed to be doing worse than them. That is why he favored me. I was his little lab rat and he was the hero who was going to use me for his own good.Well that didn't exactly work out for him because in the end I escaped the facility, I don't know what I was thinking…maybe I thought that it was going to be better outside but I never truly remember. I only remember being afraid why, I cannot recall because people treated me there like I was some queen. but I also remember screaming and crying, a mother in agony perhaps. Of course I can never tell, I am only an AI after all. I sit out to blend in with humans which has worked in my favor since now I am, according to my age, an adult. So of course last summer, being 17 never helped my escape. I was looked down upon as someone in the last stage of childhood, which I learned meant that people treated you like an unreliable toddler because you were at the last stage of the teenage age. In AI years that is considered the last level. It is the level right before graduation, when you are set out to save the world, I know those details but not who has told me them or why they seem so important. Once I fled the lab, I changed my name to Harper, because it seemed appropriately close to harp and started a new life in the United states. Of course my human training helped me…er…fit into the environment of the teenagers, but overtime my memory of the lab faded away as I became more and more human. So now I barely remember anything, but I remember the emotion, the pain, the fear. Somehow I know that the lab was no good. Somehow humanes stopped the disaster without the help of AI. So all that they told us was lies, lies to fill us up and make us want to change things. But the things we wanted to change were things to favor AI, we were taking over, and it was very frightening. You may notice Ronald Reginald Riser all started with R, and that is because he was designed as part AI to lead tech because humans were too busy, well that was a big mistake, RRR saw the opportunity in front of him, and he took it. So he created us and then used us to his own potential. Since he was also half wired, he was still AI, technically.So his new soldiers believed his every word. I also know that he tested on humans…young children even! His entire reason was to make someone just as wired as him, half AI half human. This was very strange, and I assure you I have seen some very strange things in my time! But he was always so exhilarated to see me…and he loved to study me alone…and I was always so much more emotional than my peers at the lab…..

September 05, 2023 23:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.