I'm Fine and Mark's Alive

Written in response to: Write a story about a someone who's in denial.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Contemporary

Ah, what a beautiful day! Eh, Mark? The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, there’s a lovely gentle breeze. I love this park, so much life. Check out all the families and kids running around. Well, running away. Same difference.

And the fountain, the one with the soldier statue on top, can you hear the water bubbling? I can, even with all the screaming. Wonder what’s that about. That’s my absolute favorite spot in the city, you know. I love watching the ducks swim. Sometimes there’s a swan. I even saw a heron once! What an elegant creature. Are there any birds in the fountain now? Hnnnng…. Mmmmph… I can’t see. Wait, maybe… Urrgh… Nope. No chance. Can’t get an angle. I think I heard a quack though.

Hey Mark, can you see any birds? Mark? Maaaark. Fine, be like that. You know, I’m getting sick of you giving me the cold shoulder all the time. You’ll have to get over it eventually. Did I give you a cold shoulder after the car? No. I have a warm shoulder. It’s pretty hot, actually, come to think of it. Kinda… pulsing. Weird.

Also, my hair feels real sticky. Probably the bl- nope, not that. Nuh uh. Someone probably spilled ice cream or something. Warm, coppery-smelling ice cream. I wonder what flavor that is. Any ideas? Come on, you know all the weird flavors. Must be from that place two streets over, what’s it called? Ice… something. Ice Prize. No, Ice Surprise. No, Ice… ah, fuck it.

Wait, are those steps? Is someone coming? Oh, hi! Nice day for it. I like your uniform, by the way, Emmett. Oh, Chris, sorry. I misread the shirt. Yes, I’m doing just fine, thank you. Never better. Kinda pumped, actually. Adrenaline, you know.

I think I lost my gun though. Do you see it? It’s a Glock, I think. I just got it this morning. No? Those goddamn Twelvers must have taken it. They keep invading our territory. Someone has to teach them respect. I think that was them, at least… haven’t seen them in a while. My name’s Frankey, by the way. Nice to meet- me- you know what, let’s skip the handshake. My arm is being a bit of a stinker. Seems to like the floor better. No disrespect, eh?

That’s my brother, Mark. Do you see him? In the green shirt. He should be over th- come on, finger, you can do this. Overrrrr… There! Ha! Thank you, finger, I knew you wouldn’t let me down. Anyway, Mark’s there. He’s ignoring me because I stole his TV, but he stole my car, so I think that’s fair. Don’t you?

What’s with the wheely bed? You wanna go sleeping downhill? Oh, yeah, we can go on a ride, why not. Sunday morning road trip. Could be fun. We can go somewhere with lots of green, like a hut in the woods or something. Somewhere we can chill, lay low. Not tell people where we are, change our names, that kind of thing. Just for fun, of course.

Hey, can we pass by Ice is Nice on th- Aargh! Ow ow ow ow ow! Not cool Chris. You gotta warn people if you’re going to lift them like this. God, my shoulder is on fire. Did something bite me? Can you see?

… shot? Ha, good one, Chris. You know, when I was a kid we had this weird paintball game. It came with a yellow plastic gun that connected to the TV, and you would shoot at characters on the screen. Like that old game, what’s it called… Duck Hunt, I think. Mark was really - I’m AB+. People always tell me that’s the selfish - I just said AB+. You hard of hearing or something? Anyway, I could never clear level three, but Mark - No you’re grumbling and incoherent. You’re being very rude, Chris. If you’re going to be like this the whole trip, then - Damn it, A! B! Plus! Got it? Good. Please don’t make me shout again, that really took it out of me… Maybe I should have a nap.

Where was I? Oh, Mark beat the whole game, twice. He was so smug about it. Until we got to real guns, that is, and I started kicking his ass. Eh Mark? Still not talking? He can’t shoot for shit. By the way, do you have a blanket? I’m getting cold.

Oh, your van is cool, dude. What’s all this stuff on the walls? Bandages, pills, defibrillator… is this an ambul- no, it’s a van. It’s a cool van and we’re on a road trip. And Mark’s here, somewhere. He’s hiding. And I’m fine. Oh, nice, you have a fridge. Can I get a drink? My throat is as hel- uhh, as a desert. Thanks, man. What are you getting me? No, get me a can, I can’t drink from a bag. What’s with that need- gah!

Ah, fuck it. I’m gonna die, aren’t I? Oh god… please, please don’t exist, so I don’t have to go to hell. Or if you do, just let me stay for a bit. Just a bit, please! I never asked you anything before. Just give me another… year? No, two. Please, I’m too you- ahk ahk ahk

Shit, that tasted like blood. Did they get me in the chest? I don’t… I don’t feel anything. Fine, god, just give me a year. A month, even. A week. Just let me chill on a beach for a bit before I go, have a dr- ahk ahk

Not happening, I guess.

You know what, Chris, let’s skip the transfusion. Even if you save me today I’ll be dead tomorrow, once Boss figures out we lost the package. Mark’s probably already gone, the lucky bastard. And the rest of the crew. All this for a goddamn briefcase.

You don’t understand a single word I’m saying, do you? I must sound like I’m chewing rocks. If I’m even making any sound at all. That’s probably for the best, because I gotta tell you something, and you’re much better off not hearing it. Mom would have liked me to say this to a priest but, umm… uhh… sorry, drifted off for a second.

Anyway, Boss is working on something. Something big. I don’t know what, exactly, but we’ve been running deliveries for him for months. Pay this guy, get this box, deliver it to that guy, wait outside until he gives it back. Going all over the country. Other people go abroad, even; he once sent Mark to Russia to play bodyguard for one of the deputies.

No idea what he’s planning, but I’m willing to bet it’ll be bad. Someone should do something about it. Whatever this is, it’s been important enough for us to stop our drug distribution completely. Do you have any idea how much money we’re losing? Not to… umm… not to mention the money we’re paying for all these packages. Boss doesn’t give money up for nothing.

Haaaawww… I’m real sleepy. Is that it? I don’t see any light yet. If anything, things look dimmer now. Well, the ceiling light is on, but I don’t think that’s what people mean. Chris, can you turn the AC off? I’m freezing here.

Oh, right.

Not long now, I suppose. It’s been… interesting. Poor mom, me and Mark on the same day. She probably expected this, to be honest. Maybe she’ll do both our funerals at the same time… That would be nice. Always so ashamed… can’t really blame her. Maybe we’ll be more of a comfort now. At least I won’t have to admit to her she was right. I shouldn’t have dragged… Mark down with me.

Mmmmmmf… I should get some shut-eye. I’m starting to… umm… to… It really sneaks up on ya. I was always ter- Hhhhhhh… sorry, lost my- sssssss… breath. I thought it would hurt, you know? But I just feel… spacey. Shoulder doesn’t hurt an… anymore.

Shit, mom, I’m sorry. I wish I coulda made you… proud. Too late for that. I shoulda… talked to that cop. If I’m dead anyway. Might as well… do some… good. Too late.

Bye, mom. I’m… I’m off to sleep.

Hhhhhhh… sssssss… hhhhhhh… sssssss…

Hhhhhhh… sssssss… hhhhhhh… sssssss…

Hhhhhhh… sssssss…

Or…

Not too late. I have… list in the pocket. Got… numbers, right? Addresses. Got names. I can… sssssss…

Chris! Let the shoulder go. Listen. You need to… Chris, listen! Shit.

Hhhhhhh…

CH!

Sssssss…

RIS!

Hhhhhhh…

Good, you’re… looking. Pay attention. This is important. Now…

POC!

Hhhhhhh…

KET!

Sssssss…

No, not that one, the oth… you’ll figure it out.

Hhhhhhh…

PO!

Sssssss…

LICE!

Hhhhhhh…

Yes, yes! Police, exact… umm…

NOTE!

Sssssss…

Hhhhhhh…

No, not th… that pock… y- yes, there…

Sssssss…

Hhhhhhh…

Yes! You… got it.

TAKE!

Sssssss…

Hhhhhhh…

TO!

Sssssss…

Hhhhhhh…

Sssssss…

Pol…

June 21, 2024 10:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.