2 comments

Historical Fiction

I am… was a simple farmer. I lived in a small house with my wife Helpis Afra, our daughter Pomaria and me, Lucius. My wife and I have lived here for all our life, and we never saw this coming.

It was still morning when the great mountain first rumbled. Its voice could be heard echoing from far far away. The Great Mountains anger could be seen, as its anger fumed up into the realm of gods.

We awoke to our little Pomaria crying, as the God of the mountains grumble had scared her. “Shhh… don’t worry sweetie, everything will be alright”. My wife tried to calm her as I went out to see what was happening.

I saw Nymphius run past me. “What’s going on? Had the mountain God been angered?” “I don’t know what is going on, but it does not look good. The Priests are preaching everyone to stay home as this is a test from the gods and they will protect all who believe, but I can’t Lucius, I just can’t” he said as he bolted way stumbling over rocks.

People were running every which way. Some ran to the Temples to plead to the gods for their lives and their families. Others would run straight out of the city and towards one of its neighbouring cities with as much valuables as they could carry. Those who took advantage of the chaos ransacked houses one after another, looting, pillaging and robbing people who leave the city.

As I was about to turn back home, that’s when I heard it, the loud bang that came from the mountain. It drew in the attention of everyone, be they praying, fleeing or looting, the sound seemed to freeze everyone in place as they glanced at the Mountain that had begun to spew out fire that rained down. It took a few seconds for people to snap back to reality and continue their chaotic movements in this crisis.

I rushed home, if Helpis had calmed down our daughter, then the new boom seems to have re-shaken her as she had broken down into another tantrum. “We have to go, the God of the mountain is mad, and his wrath is raining down.” We left Pomaria to her tantrum, as we ran around gathering any valuables we could find, which were not many.

I opened the front door. As is attempted to step outside, a great ball of fire landed in front of me. The power from the crash, pushed me back and I fell on my ass. “This is a warning. The God is warning us to stay and wait. We are to await his judgement, for if we leave, he shall burn our souls, so we’d never reach the fields of Elysium.”

Helpis took Pomaria in her hands and cradled her, as the Mountains rage kept going on. Blasts echoed, followed by screams of people all around. Lucious looked though his window as his friend, neighbours were scattering around, running and screaming in fear of the rain of fire. The streets had started to fill up with rivers of fire, it swallowed everything it touched.

In just a couple of hours, the whole town was filled with the Mountains wrath. Every house was covered in dust and what remained from the Mountains anger. I could not see anything outside of my house no more. The walls still gave off the heat of the mountain. “My sweet Helpis and Pomaria, the god has saved our lives, we have gained his blessing.” I said as I fell to the knees. We were safe in our house, even though, we had no wait of getting out, we were safe and alive.

It's been almost a week since our house was buried. We had eaten all of our food we had still left over after last winter. I’ve dug a hole through the hard remains of the Gods judgement. I haven’t been able to get above ground, but I’ve reached our neighbours house, which had some food, but nothing else for use. Luckily the water well was close to us and still intact.

After another week had passed, I had checked out multiple houses. There was no more food to be found, and the last time we had a meal, was 3 days ago. As our food had gone out and Pomaria was complaining about the lack of food, I would leave for a few hours and bring back some meat for them.

As days went on, and I brought more food, to escape questions from my wife, I started to go and get the food during the night.

My name is Pomaria. My daddy has always been there for me and my mommy. We have been in our home for a long time. Daddy used to go out and look for a way out, but now he only sits at the table under the blanket. He would bring us food during the night, so me and mommy have something to eat, but he just sits there, telling us he is not hungry.

It’s been 3 days since daddy left. I hope he finds his way back. Mommy goes to get some food now; she says that daddy prepares it for her. I hope daddy comes back soon.

We had been in this hellhole for over two weeks. Two days ago, my husband left during the night and didn’t come back in the morning. I went looking for him and saw something gruesome… My husband had cut out parts of his body to feed us. “Lucius… why?” he looked up. “I had to, I had to provide for my family.” His voice was weak and lifeless. “Please, I can’t do it on my own anymore. Please, you have to do this, for Pomaria.” He said, as he pushed forward the dish with another slice of his body. I know I shouldn’t have taken it, but our daughter needs to eat, she needs to get out. So please God, send someone over to help… Someone… please… save us.

September 16, 2022 21:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

L Key
09:33 Sep 22, 2022

Hi Agris. Here from the Critique Circle. I thought you did a good job with this, in particular capturing the panic and horrors of such a tragic event. Well done.

Reply

Agris Engelis
11:04 Sep 22, 2022

thank you very much, it means a lot to someone new and still unskilled ^^.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.