Hope Against Reality

Written in response to: Write a story about lifelong best friends.... view prompt

1 comment

Friendship Sad

     Reese looked at the text she had just received on her phone. The message read; Meet at usual spot tomorrow early if u can. I got news. 

     It was Shyan. Of course it was. Because, well, Shyan was the only contact she had on her phone other than her parents. Shyan didn’t usually text her, especially after dinner. That was mainly because Shyan and Reese were literally next-door neighbors. Her house was across the street from Reese’s. When they were younger and neither of them had a phone, they would stick letters in each other’s mailboxes. The tradition had stuck ever since, even after they had both gotten devices, it was a faster way to write longer messages. But even if not, they were close enough friends just to knock on their door anytime and talk. 

     Reese looked at the briefness of the message and knew Shyan would explain what was happening in the morning. K, she replied. See u tomorrow.





     Shyan walked through her school doors early the next morning and made her way to the back of the library. She was surprised to see Reese already sitting at their two-person table in the corner eating a chocolate muffin. Shyan knew Reese wasn’t a morning person and it must have taken a lot for her to get up and be at school before Shyan. She thought again of how amazing it was to have a best friend like Reese.

     Tears welled up and she tried to hide them behind her blonde hair as she sat down, throwing her backpack down beside her chair.

     Reese sat patiently waiting. Only Reese could make this kind of silence comfortable. And she wanted to sink into it. She wanted to sink into it and fall asleep forever, but Shyan knew it would be harder to tell the truth the longer she waited.

     Shyan gazed up at Reese through watery eyes and said softly, “I’m moving.”





     The words hit Reese like a wave of warm water, not really registering in her brain. Shyan began to sob. The tears that were always hidden in pools behind Reese’s eyes seemed stuck. Her whole body seemed to be frozen in shock and confusion. There had to be some mistake. But there was no mistake. She could see it in Shyan’s eyes.

     Reese stood abruptly, collected her things, and fled the room, her chair unsteady and breakfast forgotten. She could hear Shyan’s sob thicken and knew her emotions were getting the better of Reese. Again.

     Reese was sorry for doing this but she needed to think. She needed to be alone. No. That’s what she was afraid of. Losing her friend. Her only friend. The person she needed the most. And now she had made it worse. And now she really was alone.





     Shyan cried herself to sleep on that table until the warning bell woke her. She hadn’t slept all night and she was exhausted.

     She set her things down in class and asked the teacher to use the restroom before class. The teacher looked concerned but let her go without pressing.

     When she pushed the bathroom door open she saw Reese splashing water on her red face. It looked like her emotions had overflowed after all.





     Reese saw the door open behind her dark curls in the mirror. Shyan slipped in, rubbing her red eyes. They looked at each other. Shyan opened her mouth to speak, closed it, then moved to turn back.

     “No,” Reese said pleadingly. “Wait! Please,” Reese whirled around to face the other girl. Shyan stopped.

     “Please, listen,” Reese looked devastated and a few tears slipped out again. “I know you probably hate me right now and I would too. I left you - my best and only friend since literally forever - when you needed me most. When you needed comfort and support and encouragement,” she paused, thinking about what she would say next. “I hurt you, I know that, and I’m so sorry. My emotions got the better of me. But that’s no excuse. I am so sorry.

     “You’re an amazing friend and I am here now to make up for my bad behavior and selfish attitude. If you can forgive me.”





     Shyan was a little startled at Reese’s speech, but a warm feeling filled her aching heart at the moment. At the moment she was ready to forgive.

     “Of course I forgive you, Reesie,” Shyan offered a half smile.





     That was all Reese needed, she ran over and threw her arms around Shyan’s neck, both of them laughing and crying.

     “Okay, I want to know everything,” Reese said, pulling away after the final tear had dried. “When are you moving, where, and why?”

     Shyan took a shaky breath, “Well, the ‘when’ is a little fuzzy. Mom and Dad are trying to aim right after school gets out in a couple of weeks, maybe even sooner. I might even have to take my exams early. But we still have the whole process. I’m going to start cleaning my room today so they can take pictures later this week.”

     Reese nodded, thinking, “I can come over and help, if you want company. And don’t we still have that science project due? We can work on it together.”

     The relief written on Shyan’s face was confirmation enough, “That would be great,” she went on smiling. “The ‘where’ is the most exciting part. We’ll be moving to Hawaii - Oahu to be exact.”

     “That’s amazing,” Reese exclaimed, trying to be excited for her friend but thinking about how far away that was. “You’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii.”

     “That’s true,” Shyan said soberly. “But not like this.”





     Shyan’s insides were churning, but she had to keep going. She went on to explain why. That her dad was in the military. He technically retired after her mom had given birth to her, but apparently these were extreme circumstances that Shyan wouldn’t understand.

     They stood in the bathroom talking, laughing, and crying for almost all of first period. Until another student walked in and they were immediately thrown back into reality.

     “We’d better get to class,” Shyan whispered, giggling a little. “See you third period art.”





     The weeks passed by in a blur of non-stop action. Reese and Shyan spent every waking moment they could together. They visited each other to do last minute homework or make flash cards for the upcoming exams, all while having the time of their lives. They played country music, singing along and laughing at the lyrics, racing and quizzing each other on how much exam content they knew, and would sometimes just be best friends and talk heart-to-heart.

     It didn’t feel real until the moment Shyan’s house was completely empty and it was her last night sleeping in her house.

     Reese invited Shyan over for dinner and a last hangout in her room that night. They ventured up stairs and sat down on the carpeted floor across from each other, Shyan setting her backpack down beside her.

     “I guess this is it,” Reese said, her eyes moist.

     “Ok, before we get all teary-eyed, I have something for you,” Shyan was holding back tears too, Reese could see them.

     “I have something for you too,” Reese got up and made her way through the mess of her room and pulled open a drawer in her art desk.

     When Reese came back to sit cross-legged on the floor, Shyan held out a neatly gift-wrapped package. The paper was designed with colorful splashes of paint and was tied with twine, an envelope tucked under the string. 

     Reese gave Shyan her gift and took the one made for her.

     Setting the card aside, Reese carefully pulled the twine off and unraveled the paper. Inside was, of course, a large package of her favorite candy, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Reese smiled.

     Under the chocolate was a set of 12 Prismacolor pencils in a flat tin case. She opened the envelope and pulled out a cute card designed with shades of blue marble and gold leaf. Reese read the familiar handwriting inside;



Reese, thank you for everything. For being my friend, laughing with me, crying with me, and just being so positive all the time. 

You’re so supportive and so kind. You go with the flow and put others first. You’re so confident in who you are and I will miss everything about you. I will never forget you and all the fun and memories we’ve made together.

If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have understood the importance of art or that mistakes are a part of life and we can learn from them. Use these pencils to do what you love, making art and making the world more colorful.

I’ll never forget you!

– Shyan






     Shyan received the gift from Reese and leaned back against the wall. It was a thin rectangular object wrapped in tissue paper decorated with little pineapples. On top was a card without an envelope and underneath the tissue paper gift was a package of gluten-free double-stuffed Oreos. 

     Shyan took the card first, admiring the hand-painted sea turtle, and opened it. It read;



Shyan,

I’m going to miss you so much. I’ll miss your smile, your intelligence, your kindness, your calm, your confidence, your unique personality and your sweet heart.

Thank you for being there to care for me in your own way. No one could replace you even if I tried. I’ve learned so much from you.

I don’t know what I’m going to do without you.

Safe travels.

Love you.

♡ Reese



     Trying to hold back the tears long enough to tear away the tissue paper, Shyan looked at the gorgeous masterpiece in front of her. It was a familiar selfie of Shyan and Reese holding ice cream cones, in a small wooden frame. The image captured them both laughing too hard to keep their eyes open. The best part was that the whole thing was hand drawn in colored pencil.





     Both girls finished admiring their gifts at almost the same time, tears streaming down both of their faces. They stood up and hugged each other, Reese still holding her card.





     Moving day was full of emotion. Reese woke up early the next day and sat on her front porch. The sky was unfairly beautiful for the tragedy that was taking place. That was taking her best friend.

     Reese was so lost in thought that she didn’t see or hear Shyan walk across the street to her house and climb the porch until Shyan sat beside her.

     “I wanted to say thank you again,” Shyan said, staring ahead. Reese knew she was trying not to be emotional.

     “For what?” Reese looked at her.

     “For being my friend, for understanding, and for . . . just being here,” Shyan replied.

     There was a long silence. Shyan leaned her head on Reese’s shoulder for support. It was comfortable and both of them hoped it would never end. But it did.

     Shyan’s mom shouted that it was time for them to go.

     The two best friends hugged their last.

     “Text me, okay?” Shyan demanded.

     “Of course,” Reese said, smiling through her wet eyes.

     They pulled away and Shyan ran to grab her things and get in the car.





     Reese’s parents waved at their moving neighbors from the top of their driveway. But Reese wanted to do more. Needed to do more.

     Reese watched as Shyan’s car pulled out onto the street. Reese walked down her driveway hoping against hope that the whole thing was one big misunderstanding.

     Reese sprinted after the car, keeping pace for a few yards, letting her emotions fuel her. Hoping against hope that the whole thing was one big prank.

     Reese ran harder and faster, waving with both hands, tears flying behind her. Hoping against hope that the whole thing was one big dream and that she could just wake up.

     Reese stopped, panting, watching as Shyan disappeared from sight. Hoping against reality that none of this was real. But it was hope against reality. And the truth was . . . reality always won.

June 13, 2023 22:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mae A. Shaw
22:45 Jun 13, 2023

This is a more personal story that has likenesses to something I went through. It's sad and tragic but it's reality, therefore making it relatable to others - no matter the age.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.