0 comments

Crime

TW: Violence, language

“Oh brother of mine, can we please stop at The Jelly Donut on our way back?”

“Be quiet. It’s almost time.”

The nearby bridge was overrun with pedestrians. The morning rush hour was in full swing.

Katie sat next to her brother on a park bench. She was twisted around, watching the sunrise behind them. The sky was clear and there was a light crosswind. Her older brother, Ralf, was watching the commuters walk by.

Ralf wasn’t going to let her stop at the donut shop. He never let her stop there. Not that she wanted to eat donuts. No, she wanted to smell them. Oh, the aroma of the dough, the sugar, the cinnamon, ooh yes!

No, no, they had a job to do. Ralf was always saying, empty your mind, Katie, focus on the job. Don’t wander off, don’t sniff other people’s pastries. How come he made all the rules? She was an adult too.

“Katie, come back here!” Ralf called out to her.

“Yes, dearest older brother.” She was only a stone’s throw away, but she returned.

“Now, who are we looking for?”

There he goes with the quizzes again. “We’re lookin’ for Jennings, that new customs official.”

“And where will she be coming from?”

“She crosses the bridge every day at six o’clock. Come on, we’ve done this a million times, Ralfie.”

Ralfie’s usual frown turned into a scowl, “Please don’t call me that.”

“Ralfie, Ralfie, Ralfie.”

“If you say that one more time, I won’t take you to the donut shop.”

Yes! Katie’s secret weapon never failed her. Soon the sweet scent of baked goods would sweep her off her feet.

“Last question, what does Customs Officer Jennings look like?”

“She’s your height and thin, usually wears blue pantsuits to work. She’s got light brown, curly hair, and she’s thirty years old.”

“Good.” Ralf stood up from the bench. He took a photograph out of his suit pocket and handed it to her. “Just to be sure,” he said. It was a photo of Jennings.

She stuffed it into her coat pocket. He’d been shoving that picture in her face all week. Doesn’t he have any confidence in me? I’m not an idiot.

Ralf looked at his watch. Katie watched him look. “It’s five forty-five. Time to go to our positions, Katherine.” He handed her a long, heavy bag.

“That doesn’t work on me.” Katie laughed, shouldered the bag, and walked deeper into the park.

The park the siblings were in was right on the river. It was lined with trees and featured a crushed stone path and park benches, so the city-dwellers could enjoy looking at the water. There was no one else in the park.

Katie climbed the tree closest to the bridge. It was tall and wide and the foliage at the top concealed her completely from the passers-by. She watched as Ralf took his position at the end of the bridge. He was going to give her the signal.

Nestled on a tree branch, Katie opened her bag. Inside was a rifle, the one she had been practicing with all week. She loaded it and watched her brother.

The commuters continued to cross the bridge. It’s like a river of people on a river of water, she thought.

She knew the plan. He’d give the signal and she’d shoot, drop the gun, and run like hell. They’d meet up at Academy Lane, or was it University Lane? Academy Lane was closer to The Jelly Donut; it must be that one.

Mmm, she could imagine it so clearly, the fresh-baked donuts, the sugar crystals, the black tea for dipping, yum! No, now’s not the time for that. Ralf would get mad if she missed the signal. She focused on her brother again.

He was still standing at the end of the bridge, about one hundred feet away. He was pretending to order a hot dog from the street stall. No, he was really ordering a hot dog! No, that was someone else. Her brother was pretending to read a newspaper. Really pretending, because he was looking out for Jennings. He’d throw away the paper once he saw her. That was the signal. When he gave the signal, she’d find Jennings in the crowd and take the shot. Easy as pie. Pumpkin pie or chicken pie? Definitely chicken pie.

It was just one shot today. Their client had asked her to shoot several people on the bridge to conceal that Jennings was the primary target, but Ralf refused him.

She continued to sit in the tree. “I’m Katie the squirrel; I live in a tree and I’m light on my feet. I eat nuts but I love donuts," she sang to herself. "I love Ralf too,” she added.

After ten minutes of waiting, Ralf folded up his newspaper and put it in a trash can. The time is now! Where’s Jennings? She scanned the bridge. Tall guy, young guy, old lady, bicycle kid. Where was she? Hold on, there’s a blue pantsuit. A lady with light brown hair, the same size as her brother.

Okay, she’s halfway across the bridge. I’ll wait ’til she’s a little closer. Ugh, that bridge is so crowded! What are these people doing up so early? Okay, here’s a clear shot.

She took a deep breath and prepared to fire.

Three, two, one, jelly donut!

Jennings collapsed. Katie didn’t hesitate. She dropped out of the tree and let go of her rifle. She ran away from the bridge and into the busy streets. She didn’t worry about Jennings; Ralf’d stay behind and make sure she was dead. She could rely on him.

Once she was in the middle of the crowd, she started walking, trying to blend in. She listened for shouts or loud footsteps.

Did anyone notice me? I don’t think so.

She took a circuitous route to Academy Lane, stopping at three bakeries on the way. Ralf was waiting when she arrived. She could pick out his blond hair in a crowd easily. How come she didn’t have blonde hair?

“Are you okay, Katie? Did you make it here smoothly?”

“Yes, oh brother of mine, smooth as egg yolks.”

“The job was a success. We killed her.”

“Does that mean we can stop at The Jelly Donut?”

“Yes, I’ll buy you whatever you want.”

“I don’t want to buy anything, I just want to smell.”

“They won’t let you smell the donuts unless you buy them.”

“Then I want one of each kind.”

“Whatever you want, my darling little sister.”

June 24, 2021 15:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.