0 comments

Holiday

And he's still staring. I was fixing my second cup of punch when I noticed a guy across the room. He was looking at me as if he could see my soul. I looked down to act as if I didn't notice, but as I looked up again, there he was once again...peaking my interest. I was not planning to even come tonight. My New Year routine for the last three years consisted of Ben, Jerry and Jack...my three favorite men. Now, here I am at this party being watched by Mr. Mysterious. As I peeked up again to see if I was still being watched, I noticed he was no longer there. Good! I was not in the mood for boring conversation that led to "what's your New Year's Resolution?". I had no resolutions, just trying to make it through another year.


My thoughts were interrupted by a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Mr. Mysterious smiling. He had the most beautiful smile. He reached out his hand and introduced himself. I lost focus in his smile. He was all too familiar. He grabbed my hand and asked if I would like to dance. I do not dance. I repeat, I DO NOT DANCE, but in this moment my rhythm matched his and we danced like we knew each other for a lifetime. The way he stared in my eyes would make any onlooker believe we were together prior to this moment.


As the song ended, he asked if I needed another drink. I probably didn't because I was a lightweight but shook my head yes. He smiled, told me not to move and headed into the crowd of people surrounding the drink table. As I stood there taking everything in, I could hear my best friend yelling over the music. She was a firecracker and I should have known tonight would not end without the appearance of her drunk side. I glanced across the room to notice she was arguing with a guy that appeared to be a little too touchy-feely. I did not want to move and make Mr. Mysterious think I left, but my friend needed me.


I was able to get her calm with a step outside into the coolness of the night's air. The street was still lit with Christmas decor and it made everything look magical. But then again, it may just be due to the moment I just had with Mr. Mysterious. Oh no, I never went back in! I rushed passed a couple making out in the doorway to see if I could find him. I searched all over, but he was nowhere to be found.


*Beep Beep Beep*


My alarm clock was going off. I woke up to find myself in bed. It was all a dream. I went to silence my alarm to see a text from my best friend. It read, "Ben, Jerry and Jack are going to have to wait, please come out with me tonight?". It was New Year's Eve and I was planning to spend it alone, but without any thought I responded back "okay" hoping Mr. Mysterious was not just a figment of my imagination.

December 27, 2019 17:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.