Love and the stars

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Drama Romance

They always fawn over the main character. She is always perfect and beautiful, but what if I told you some had major flaws. Half the time side characters fade away to the side only to never ever be heard of. We don't ever get our happy endings. Well, most of the time. Today was their wedding today. In this case, it was Adam's and Bridgette's day.

There Bridgette stood with one of the groomsmen in the white woman's bathroom. My dumb ass was in a stall when her heels clicked into the rooms. Her white silk robe shimmered on her slender body. Her blond hair was pulled into a fancy bun. Not even thinking, I pulled out my phone and started recording. His hands slid the robe off of her small shoulders displaying her creamy white skin, and perfect body. His hand traced her body in a hungry manner. A high pitched giggle rang through the bathroom.

"I have to go get married to the poor chump." She teased cruelly. "I only want his money anyways. I will divorce him in a couple of years and clean him out." His deep laughter echoed throughout the whole bathroom. My phone stopped recording. They left one after the other. My black kitten heels clicked against the white tile as I sprinted to his room. The white door loomed in front of me, taunting me. My knuckles ached as I frantically knocked on the door. Nervously, I smoothed out my red plaid rockabilly dress that hugged my hourglass figure.

"What's up Evie?" Adam asked cheerfully. Guilt rocked my body as he looked so happy and handsome in his red suit. His green eyes glistened excitedly as he ran his hand through his long brown hair. Before he could answer a short no nonsense woman in a shimmery pink dress approached us.

"Time for the show." She said cheerfully, shaking her perm. "You best get to your seat." Her glare turned my veins to ice, as I followed behind them sheepishly. Anxiously, I played with my long inverted wavy brown hair. The thought of the note that I wrote for her to win him over raced through my mind. The tall black doors stood tall in front of me as I slammed down onto a hard wooden pew. Pain and angst burned through me as he stood up there, waiting for his doom. The priest in his Sunday best, shifted uncomfortably behind him. Red roses surrounded me. poisoning my nose with their sickly sweet scent. The wedding march began signaling the wedding party to proceed. Red wrap silk dresses rustled as bridesmaids and groomsmen marched down the aisle. The large crowd cooed and sighed when a seven year old girl was tossing red rose petals on the white runner. Everyone oohed and aahed as the doors opened to reveal her in a simple satin mermaid dress. A flower of red roses crowned her perfect hair. Fake smiles graced her lips as she waved to random people. My heart ached as his green eyes glistened for her. Her blue eyes taunted me as she stared me straight in my eyes without a smile. Tears burned in my eyes as they turned to face each other. The priest cleared his throat.

"Does anyone object this union?" He yelled with a smile. "Speak now, or forever hold your peace." My heart beat loudly as my legs shakily stood up. Do I let him get hurt, or act like a jealous friend?

"I object!" I shouted as he glared at me. His green eyes were filled with a deep hatred and anger. The crowd gasped, expelling the sense of shock and annoyance into the air. The bride stomped down the aisle and pulled me closer to her.

"How dare you?" She hissed, spitting all over my face. "Get out! I knew that she shouldn't have been invited." Adam rushed down to us, and wrapped his arms around her waist. A pang of pain stabbed me in my heart as he turned and glowered at me.

"Maybe you should go." He exclaimed through gritted teeth. "I never want to see you again." Tears burned in my eyes as I turned to leave. Enough is enough! My feet spun around to face the two of them.

"I wrote the note that you fell in love with. That was me!" I yelled, shaking my head. "She wants you for your daddy's money. She never loved you. She just cheated on you. She stole it from my locker, and passed it off as hers. Have fun with her." I turned to leave, but his hand grabbed my arm. My heart stopped beating as I simply stood still.

"Is this true, Bridgette?" Adam inquired, letting her go. "If you wrote that note, you could recite it right now." Bridgette huffed grabbing my phone. The silence in the room was heavy nearly crushing us all as she threw it on the ground. Cracks echoed around us as her heel crushed it to death.

"I don't need to." She pleaded, falling to her knees. "She has been stalking us. In fact she just filmed me in the bathroom. Who remembers a note from high school?" He ran his hand through his soft hair as his eyes darkened and his brows furrowed.

"I do." He uttered, looking softly at me. "Good bye Bridgette. Wedding is off." Her fist clenched as her other fist slammed into my face, knocking me back into his arms. The crowd whispered among themselves.

"Fuck you all!" She screeched, stomping away. Her family chased after her, begging her not to be so mad. His eyes glittered sadly as he took my hands.

"Your smile is as big as the moon. Your eyes twinkle like the stars in the sky. As long as the moon rises, I will always love you." I declared with trembling legs, and a deep blush on my face.

"How about we get out of here?" He asked with a wink. My arms shook as I stood up to face his green eyes. Tears ran down my face as he pulled me out of the venue to his black fiesta. Anxiety ran through me as he closed the door behind me. The engine roared to life as my seat belt clicked. Thick trees flashed by us, until we came to a large lake with a long dock. Birds chirped around us as we sat on the end of the worn wooden dock.

"How come you never said it was you?" He questioned, swinging his feet. "I always thought it was you who wrote it. We did always look at the stars at night together. You just never took the credit for it. It must have been hard for you to still be my friend." A crooked grin danced across his pale face. My heart sank into my stomach while my mouth chewed on my nails. His hand took my trembling hand as to make me stop.

"You looked so happy with her." I replied looking away into the tree line. "I also thought I didn't deserve you." His shoulder playfully nudged me as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

He leaned in and pressed his lips against mine. Time stopped around us. He pulled away, and blushed scarlet. Before he could open his mouth, I kissed him on his soft lips. His heart beat faster, as I rested my head on his chest. The moon and stars twinkled above us. Everything just felt so right.



August 05, 2021 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.