2 comments

Friendship Romance Sad

In a futuristic playground nestled within a neon park, the vibrant colors of the “jungle gym” and the rhythmic creaking of the swings contrasted the seriousness of the conversation unfolding. Julie and Rome, both in their early twenties, found themselves perched on the seesaw, their feet occasionally brushing against the soft rubber mulch below.

Rome, with a concerned face, broke the heavy silence that hung between them. "I just don't know if I can do it anymore, Julie. The pressure, the expectations... it's suffocating."

Julie's eyes mirrored Rome's concern as she gently rocked back and forth on the seesaw. "I understand, Rome. But you can't let fear dictate your choices. You've worked so hard to get where you are."

Rome sighed, his gaze fixed on the ground. "But at what cost? Sacrificing my own happiness for the sake of others? Is it worth it?"

Julie reached out and placed a comforting hand on Rome's shoulder. "Only you can answer that, Rome. But remember, you're not alone in this. We're all here for you."

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of children's laughter echoing across the playground. Rome and Julie exchanged a knowing glance, finding solace in the simple joys that surrounded them despite the complexities of their own lives and family history.

As they continued to sway gently on the seesaw, they found comfort in each other's presence, knowing that no matter what the next day might bring, they would face it together. In this lifetime and the next.

Rome let out a heavy sigh, his shoulders slumping with the weight of his thoughts. "It's just... I feel like I'm constantly living up to everyone else's expectations. My parents, my friends, my colleagues... they all have this image of who they think I should be, and I'm starting to wonder if it's who I really am."

Julie nodded in understanding, her expression softening with empathy. "I get it, Rome. It's easy to get caught up in trying to meet everyone else's standards. But you have to remember to prioritize your own happiness and well-being too."

Rome ran a hand through his long brown hair, frustration evident in his voice. "I know, Julie. But sometimes it feels like I'm stuck in this never-ending cycle of trying to please everyone else, and I've lost sight of what I want for myself."

Julie reached out and gently squeezed Rome's hand, offering him a reassuring smile. "You're not alone, Rome. We all struggle with finding our own path at times. But it's important to take a step back and reflect on what truly matters to you. What makes YOU happy? What fulfills YOU?"

Rome leaned back on the seesaw, contemplating Julie's words. "I guess... I'm just afraid of disappointing people. Afraid of failing. But maybe it's time I start focusing on what makes me happy, rather than constantly seeking validation from others."

Julie nodded in agreement, her eyes filled with encouragement. "Exactly, Rome. It's okay to prioritize yourself sometimes. You deserve to live a life that brings you joy and fulfillment, not one dictated by the expectations of others."

As they sat together on the seesaw, the weight of Rome's burden seemed to lighten ever so slightly. With Julie's support and understanding, he felt a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, he could find the courage to follow his own path and discover true happiness. His mother wanted him to go to law school, and his father would have him take over the family newspaper business. But Rome didn’t want either of those things. He dreamed of something more.

As the seesaw gently tilted, Rome found himself lifted slightly off the ground, his eyes meeting Julie's as they reached the apex of their ascent.

"I agree with what you said, Julie," Rome began, his voice carrying a newfound determination. "And I realize that what will make me truly happy is pursuing my passion for writing."

Julie smiled warmly, her heart swelling with pride for her friend. "That's wonderful, Rome! Writing short stories and poems has always been your passion. Imagine the incredible things you could achieve if you wholeheartedly pursue it."

As the seesaw descended, Julie's words sank in, resonating deeply with Rome. "You're right, Julie. I can't keep holding myself back out of fear. It's time I take a leap of faith and chase after what truly sets my soul on fire."

With each rise and fall of the seesaw, Rome and Julie continued their conversation, their voices carrying a sense of determination and resolve. Julie listened attentively as Rome laid out his plans to publish several lines of books on Amazon, invest in a better computer, and start building his portfolio of publications.

"And you know what, Julie?" Rome said, his eyes sparkling with newfound excitement. "I think I might even enter some writing contests. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll make a career out of it after all."

Julie's smile widened, her heart swelling with pride for her friend's newfound courage. "I have no doubt that you'll achieve great things, Rome. Just remember, I'll always be here to support you every step of the way."

As the sun began to set on the playground, casting a warm golden glow over their conversation and long shadows on the rubber confetti, Rome and Julie found themselves filled with a renewed sense of hope and possibility for a brighter future. With each rise and fall of the seesaw, they both knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead Rome would overcome them.

As the conversation continued to unfold and the seesaw rocked gently back and forth, Julie felt a familiar tug at her heart. She listened intently to Rome's plans, his passion igniting a flame within her own soul. But beneath the surface, a tumultuous storm raged within her.

"Rome," Julie began, her voice wavering slightly as they reached the peak of their ascent. "There's something I need to tell you."

Rome focused his eyes upon hers, concern etched on his forehead. "What is it, Julie? You know you can tell me anything."

Julie took a deep breath, bracing herself for what she was about to confess. "Rome, I... I'm deeply in love with you."

The words hung heavy in the air, their weight almost suffocating. Rome's eyes widened in surprise, his mind struggling to process the revelation.

"I've tried to deny it, to bury my feelings deep down," Julie continued, her voice trembling with emotion. "But I can't keep pretending anymore. I love you, Rome, more than words can express."

Rome's heart ached with a mixture of shock and longing. He reached out with his eyes and gently cupped Julie's gaze in his, his warm smile, tender and filled with reciprocation.

"Julie, I... I don't know what to say," Rome whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "I care about you deeply, but you know our families' history. Our love can never be. The Montagues and Capulets must never embrace love. In this lifetime, or any other."

Julie's heart shattered into a million pieces as Rome's words echoed through her mind. Their families had been locked in a bitter feud for hundreds of generations, a rift that seemed to transcend the very idea of time itself.

"I know," Julie replied, tears glistening in her eyes. "But I couldn't bear to keep my feelings hidden any longer. I just had to tell you."

As the seesaw dipped once more, Julie and Rome found themselves enveloped in a bittersweet embrace of a loving gaze. Their love may have been forbidden, their future most definitely uncertain, but in that moment, they found solace in each other's eyes, knowing that no matter what obstacles lay ahead, their bond would forever endure. 2222 A.D.

April 12, 2024 17:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alexis Araneta
15:35 Apr 24, 2024

Interesting twist on classic Shakespeare here. I liked how you incorporated the original. Lovely !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Faith Packer
22:46 Apr 21, 2024

ROMEO (excuse me, Rome) BOUGHT THE WHOLE IT'S-OK-TO-BE-WHAT-YOU-WANT-DESPITE-EXPECTATIONS AND REJECTED JULIET (er, Julie) B/C THEIR FAMILIES HATED EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????? I hope you don't mind if I try to track down your character and beat him up!:) Great job! Love the irony.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.